Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

Euthanasia

Try as I might, I cannot understand what argument people can have against euthanasia.

Any ideas?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Any ideas?
    Because people are cunts
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It's of no interest to me ... I'll live forever ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Sold
    If anyone wants to kill themselves - just pull a plastic bag over your head and pull a zip (cable) tie in as tight as you can - it wont take long!

Most of them are just attention seekers - rabbiting on about the politics FFS!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I understand the concept of the Hippocratic Oath but do doctors truly believe that them swearing an oath should over-ride the right of a person to choose the time of their death with whatever dignity they have left?

(Obviously I'm only talking about terminal illnesses).

Bike
    motocompo
    Oh, thank fuck someone posted this up. I'd been hearing it on TV & I though some cunt had it in for the Youth In Asia. Now it makes sense.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Try as I might, I cannot understand what argument people can have against euthanasia.

Any ideas?
    I have no argument with youths in asia. It's these bloody youths in New Zealand that annoy me.

According to our transport authorities we already have a method of euthanasia in use. Anyone who drives 10kph above the speed limit will automatically die. TV ads can't be wrong?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I think we should look after our own kiddies first.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

Any ideas?
    Some say that people like rich but depressed Uncle Barry - Aunty Linda - Grandma - Pops etc may be manipulated to end it all to the financial benefit of their offspring.
    Others are afraid that it'll open the door for healthy people to call it quits.
    Apart from that - religious waffle about the sanctity of life and"only God can choose when the time will be".

For me, I watched my step-father slowly die over 18 or so months. Strokes, partial paralysis, assisted toileting. Not great for a big guy who used to farm his 10,000 acres proudly. He wanted to go, but couldn't. I remember being with him one morning when he heard that another old boy from the retirement village died last night. "Lucky bastard" he said. When he finally went in to hospital for what he knew would be the last time, he spent time with us all at the start and then forbade anyone from visiting him for about the last five days while he went about refusing all medication so he could finally slip away. There has to be a better option for those who are terminal and want to take their final bow on their own terms.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Oh, thank fuck someone posted this up. I'd been hearing it on TV & I though some cunt had it in for the Youth In Asia. Now it makes sense.
    Damn you bet my post by a few seconds. You must be one of those annoying youths in NZ
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Street Triple R

Any ideas?
    sensible people don't.

People who are not sensible do. So people whose minds are clouded by silly preconceptions, religious mostly* get a lot of time.

Give up watching TV news. You'll be happier.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2007 CBR1000RR
    I understand the concept of the Hippocratic Oath but do doctors truly believe that them swearing an oath should over-ride the right of a person to choose the time of their death with whatever dignity they have left?

(Obviously I'm only talking about terminal illnesses).
    Not sure what proportion of actual doctors are opposed. I suspect it's not that many. There are of course issues with abuse of power, or people being made to feel that they 'should' do so, but these can surely be addressed.

As is often the case, issue seems to stem from religious belief / tradition - people who hold that life was given by god and can't be our choice to take away (unless, of course, it's a war against people from some other religion). And the Catholic Church's idea that any 'suicide' means you are barred from heaven.

From a purely logical perspective, I can't see why you would oppose it in principle.
    Library Schooled

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Unfortunately I suspect that the woman currently bringing this issue into the spotlight will not see it addressed.

I imagine the powers that be will wait until she dies naturally and then hope that they can simply sweep the issue back under the carpet.

Bike
    CB1300
    Personally I hope I never have to make the call for myself or watch a loved one chew on the idea.

If my turn at the plate comes I hope there will be a more humane option than a rubbish bag and a zip tie, and easier to clean up than brushing my teeth with a 12 gauge.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    motocompo
    But seriously, when I was a child my mother died slowly over a period of over three years from bowel cancer. As children, we were spared a lot of what went on behind the scenes (this was from '72 to '75) later on & in the last ten years in paticular dad has explained a few things that went on with mum & told me it made him a firm believer in euthanasia. Not what you would expect from a man of his beliefs.

Thread Information