Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the situation on knee dragging?

Bike
    honda cbr1000rr

What's the situation on knee dragging?

Hello, I'm quite new to Nz. I am from England. Do you get the book thrown at you if you knee drag around corners?
    I have also read all the forums about lane splitting/filtering. Can someone give me a simple yes and no answer to tell me if it's legal or not. People writing different things. Thanks

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    I think everyone would like a clear cut yes / no on splitting...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Legal only within posted speed limit of the area you were seen ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    I think everyone would like a clear cut yes / no on splitting...
    In New Zealand it comes under the rules of overtaking.

Overtake outside those rules and you may be (if seen) issued with an infringement notice.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I escaped the UK a couple of decades ago but still lack legal qualifications. My seat of the pants experience here matches the UK. If you are seen to be a dick you will be done as a dick. I have filtered past cops in Auckland at a gentle jogging pace and never raised an eyebrow. Only ever had a knee down just prior to the rest of my anatomy so I guess it's not considered to be safe progress on a public road.
    The big thing here is speed, just like the UK I guess. Use your head, be safe & considerate and get your jollys when nobody is looking. Very easy to do.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    honda cbr1000rr
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I escaped the UK a couple of decades ago but still lack legal qualifications. My seat of the pants experience here matches the UK. If you are seen to be a dick you will be done as a dick. I have filtered past cops in Auckland at a gentle jogging pace and never raised an eyebrow. Only ever had a knee down just prior to the rest of my anatomy so I guess it's not considered to be safe progress on a public road.
    The big thing here is speed, just like the UK I guess. Use your head, be safe & considerate and get your jollys when nobody is looking. Very easy to do.
    Decent advice. Speed in UK you are allowed 10% to allow for speedo being out. A motorway is 70mph, so doing 77 you will not get a ticket as people on motorways in England drive at 80mph. I hear and see here you get a ticket for 4k's over which I think is pretty ridiculous but respect the law in the city. England does have static speed camera though, I haven't seen to many around here.

Bike
    YZF-R6
    The splitting/filtering thing is only really allowed by a loop-hole designed to allow drivers to pass other road users that are slowing down to make a turn (into a street or driveway) but the language in the law is ambiguous and unintentionally allows for "lane sharing" ie. splitting/filtering. Or at least that's my understanding of the legality of it. I've never been done for it and do it daily but I do it carefully.

As far as knee down, I think there is a law which states that only tyres and straps meant to dissipate static are allowed to touch the ground, but I am too lazy to go looking to see if i can find it. If I'm right that would make knee down a no no.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    No. Yes/No. Hope that helps.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
    straps meant to dissipate static are allowed to touch the ground,
    Static dissipating knee sliders? Could be a winner.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    If you are going fast enough on a public road to need to have your knee down on the ground then it is highly likely if you get stopped you'll be in trouble.

If you are one of those riders who hang off on every corner regardless of your speed or need .............

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you are going fast enough on a public road to need to have your knee down on the ground then it is highly likely if you get stopped you'll be in trouble.

If you are one of those riders who hang off on every corner regardless of your speed or need .............
    Yeah doesn't matter if you claim to have been within the speed limit, the big risk to your licence is Mr plod could do you for careless driving if you had your knee down. Hard to argue but hey, what fun it is.

Lane splitting- DON'T ASK. It's a painful topic that goes on and on and on with no end like dividing 22 by 7
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    As a practical answer to is Lane Splitting legal:

I split everyday for about 20-30 Km of my 60 Km commute (one way) to work.

The only time I ever have had any trouble with the police is:

1: I went 'filtering' into a gap where the traffic had started to flow nicely again - I may have gone into the gap at about 80-90kph (traffic was speeding up from 40-50 to 70-80) and I got a finger wag from a marked police car
    2: Similar situation, traffic sped up for a short section, I CBF'd pulling in line with the traffic (as I knew it would slow down in 400m thanks to the onramp coming up) a Bike Cop lifted his lid - politely told me that at above 60 Kph, I should be in line with the traffic (we didn't stop, he told me while we were rolling along) before he waved me to go on.

As others have said - filtering is 'legal' thanks to some very liberal interpretation of our keep left/overtaking laws (basically the Law says you can go round a stopped vehicle or a slow moving vehicle) but unlike other places - there is no explicit rule that says filtering is either legal or illegal. There is a technical Caveat - in order to be an overtake, filtering should be done in the Right hand side of the lane, not the left hand side of the lane. But since most drivers hug the right hand side of the lane, typically I find myself filtering on the left of the right hand lane.

TLR - filter sensibly and you won't have an issue - Filter on the back wheel at 100+ through stationary traffic and you will get pulled.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kierbren View Post
    Decent advice. Speed in UK you are allowed 10% to allow for speedo being out. A motorway is 70mph, so doing 77 you will not get a ticket as people on motorways in England drive at 80mph. I hear and see here you get a ticket for 4k's over which I think is pretty ridiculous but respect the law in the city. England does have static speed camera though, I haven't seen to many around here.
    The normal speedo variation allowed is 8%.

Holiday time is 4%.

There are more speed cameras than you would imagine because they aren't signposted in NZ as they arein the UK. We also have them mounted in vans that park on the side of highways and motorways and sometimes in suburban streets and main arterial routes in cities.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    We also have them mounted in vans that park on the side of highways and motorways and sometimes in suburban streets and main arterial routes in cities.
    Usually set up to take a photo of the front of the vehicle though, so not such a problem on 2 wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

+1

Save that shit for Ruapuna.

Thread Information