Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yz250x Hope it comes our way!

Bike
    2 smokers

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    Can't believe it's taken this long for Japan to get in the 2 stroke enduro game, with KTM and Husqy and all them having had 2Ts out for years and trucking them out the door.

Wonder if it will be road registerable?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by McWild View Post
    Can't believe it's taken this long for Japan to get in the 2 stroke enduro game, with KTM and Husqy and all them having had 2Ts out for years and trucking them out the door.

Its taken this long for them to ride the eco friendly wagon and sell valves timing chains and the associated costs for the work throughout their dealer network put simply the 4 strokes made them and the dealers workshops shit loads more money than smokers ever would have. Now they want a piece of KTM's huge 2smoke market.

Doesn't look like it will be Road registerable but it doesn't have to be imho

At least we have an alternative to KTM now might help with pricing hopefully.
    I for one would have been a starter for this but my KTM 2hundy has been such a good bike with its adjustable power valve, reliability and ride-ability etc
    KTM have converted me to their brand they deserve some loyalty for being the only manufacturer to save me countless 4 stroke valve jobs where I can recon a smoker myself over the last few years.
    To late Yamaha
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R

i think the term is get back into the game, as it was the japanese that made the two stroke trail/enduro bikes available to everyone (think PE's IT's and KDX;s) , but they all gave up by the 90's except kawasaki, who had a token effort until the mid 00's, (KDX200)

but as reckless puts above, except for some small brands like Beta and gas gas KTM/Husqy have it to them selves,

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    i think the term is get back into the game, as it was the japanese that made the two stroke trail/enduro bikes available to everyone (think PE's IT's and KDX;s) , but they all gave up by the 90's except kawasaki, who had a token effort until the mid 00's, (KDX200)

but as reckless puts above, except for some small brands like Beta and gas gas KTM/Husqy have it to them selves,
    Yep right you are, unreal to think that even Honda had the CRM250 not that long ago. The last models of those had some really interesting tech in them as well (Active Radical), unlikely we'll see their like again from Honda though. The RMXs are meant to go well also, and you see the odd road legal one pop up.

KTM has my love and loyalty though, even the four stroke wasn't all that bad, considering!

Bike
    2 smokers

The only way it would be road compliant is if they produced an Australian model that satisfied their ADR requirements and I can't see that happening. It probably doesn't even have a lighting coil.

I like what they have done, all upgrades that people have been doing for years to yz's for off road use.Upgrades that add up especially if you factor putting in wr gears, suspension re-valves , 18inch rear etc.etc.

I wonder if they have upped tank size? a clear tank would have been nice.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yep right you are, unreal to think that even Honda had the CRM250 not that long ago. The last models of those had some really interesting tech in them as well (Active Radical), unlikely we'll see their like again from Honda though. The RMXs are meant to go well also, and you see the odd road legal one pop up.

KTM has my love and loyalty though, even the four stroke wasn't all that bad, considering!
    I finally got my hands on a CRM exported from the UK recently. Need to tidy it up and get it VIN'd. It sits next to the DT230 Lanza in the shed. Used to have a KDX250 SR, no longer road legal but K'in scary for an old fulla like me. 58hp when new allegedly.

I will pray fervently that Yamaha put this bike on the market with a 6 speed box, leccy foot and decent tank.
    Going off my DT experience, Yamaha really know how to build a 2t.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    They should have torqued it up by increasing the stroke and made it a 300 or a 360 for the wild boys.

Nice to see Yamaha back in the game on this front though, Rossi would approve.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    They should have torqued it up by increasing the stroke and made it a 300 or a 360 for the wild boys.

Nice to see Yamaha back in the game on this front though, Rossi would approve.
    The wild boys is a small market. That's what the big K found out with the 250. Power is nothing without control. Allegedly a famous proverb.
    A mega corp 2t enduro is to be applauded. I do like me yammies.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer

much like the yz250wr they sold from '89 to about '95, that looked like a regular yz250 but had wide ratio gearbox, bigger gas tank and had a lighting coil fitted. ive always like the idea of enduro-ised mx'ers . although i had an rmx250 years ago and didnt think a lot of it...i could circulate faster on a kdx200
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post

much like the yz250wr they sold from '89 to about '95, that looked like a regular yz250 but had wide ratio gearbox, bigger gas tank and had a lighting coil fitted. ive always like the idea of enduro-ised mx'ers . although i had an rmx250 years ago and didnt think a lot of it...i could circulate faster on a kdx200
    I still have my eye out for a ye olde WR 250 or 200 with the proper number of power strokes and a big fat pipe.

Me Pater has just bought a KDX 200 SR in the UK with less than 1900 km's on it. It is showroom apart from shipping damage to the tank and a rad guard. Most underwhelmed he is. 28mm carb? Pfffffft. He reckons it's been tuned by Briggs and Stratton.

Imagine a 2015 thrash it on Sunday, commute on Monday trailie 2t. Rideable by mere mortals and fixable with the wee tool kit under the side panel.
    Last edited by george formby; 8th June 2015 at 22:09. Reason: oops, posted image and nearly got me bum smacked.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post

I was about to say all they did was build a KDX250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    the 'sr' is a tin tank model huh? ive seen them with full road kit. like you i keep an eye out for the wr250 two stroke, theyre bloody thin on the ground now, do see the odd wr200 on trademe but always pretty fecked n neglected. road legal two stroke trailies were great, i used to ride an ag100 on the road im embarssed to say, later a mate had a ts250er which did the ton on road gearing, and an equal match to my gt250x7 in a drag race
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I finally got my hands on a CRM exported from the UK recently. Need to tidy it up and get it VIN'd. It sits next to the DT230 Lanza in the shed. Used to have a KDX250 SR, no longer road legal but K'in scary for an old fulla like me. 58hp when new allegedly.

I will pray fervently that Yamaha put this bike on the market with a 6 speed box, leccy foot and decent tank.
    Going off my DT experience, Yamaha really know how to build a 2t.
    KDX250's were never anywhere near 58hp, the SR's were not very quick at all, i would suggest they would struggle to be 28hp, even the full enduro KDX250(not road legal, and plastic tank) that was sold from 91-93 was not very quick in comparsion to a 250MX bike at the time, i would guess late 30;s horsepower,

the KDX250SR's must have been popular in japan, as quite a few came to NZ as second hand imports, and they are nasty for kawi parts poeple, as they look very close to the enduro model, but internally they are different, and alot of parts dont fit, and with only parts manuals in japanese, it does not make it fun to find parts for,

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Well said Scott the KDX250 from 90=92 cud be a dog ie slow , oval frame tubes were as the KX was square heavy etc you cud make them work but it cost dollars and time. the SR was a street legal version so even slower and heavier . The RMX Suzuki suffered a similar fate different versions for different markets etc. Honda's CRE and CRM same problem based on a CR250 but add oil injection, heavy pipe and muffler and road equipment . Blame the US/ Californian laws to kill a good 2 smoke . PE Suzuki's had tiny indicators, horn and battery back in the day to meet road regs but wud fail today.

Thread Information