Thread: G'day Kiwis

Bike
    1995 BMW K1100LT-P

G'day Kiwis

G'day Kiwis

So, it's been 10 years since my first visit - a bit of disc golf and a 4 day car tour north of Auckland - so it's time to come back and make sure you're all behaving yourselves.

A friend of mine and his three brothers, maybe an old uni mate and I are going to spend six days riding the North Island on hired bikes. I've knocked up a draft itinerary, and I'd appreciate feedback. Here it is:

Revised route thanks to input here. The original route is below it for interest's sake.

Day 1
    323 kms

Day 2
    347 kms

Day 3
    414 kms Can anyone see a way to shorten this?

Day 4
    347 kms

Day 5
    392 kms (a lot of it seems pretty straight and easy).

Day 6
    347 kms

Original route for interest's sake:

I used this site as a source to knock up this route:

Day 1
    323 kms

Day 2
    358 kms

Day 3
    414 kms

Day 4
    304 kms

Day 5
    363 kms

Day 6
    404 km

Overview map.

So, opinions please.

You know, it was Paul Keating's opinion that Australia is at the arsehole end of the world. I ask you Kiwis, if Australia is the arsehole, what does that make New Zealand?

Just kidding, I love you guys and New Zealand
    Last edited by ricketyclik; 13th June 2015 at 21:13. Reason: Evolution

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

G'day Kiwis

Hey RC, welcome back. Dang dumb phone, won't allow me to look at ya info, gonna have ya crack open the laptop, tis around here somewhere. At least ya km per day are achievable. Come back to ya once I find the feckin laptop.

Oh and what are.......... Well accordingly to one of our ex-MP's we're a bunch of 'front bums' ............. Courtesy of one Steve 'the tard' Maharay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ricketyclik View Post
    You know, it was Paul Keating's opinion that Australia is at the arsehole end of the world. I ask you Kiwis, if Australia is the arsehole, what does that make New Zealand?
    A boot swiftly moving towards the arsehole?

Route looks alright for the time you have. Take a look at http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/ for any back roads you might be able to add or adjust.

Should be a good trip!

Bike
    1995 BMW K1100LT-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    A boot swiftly moving towards the arsehole?
    That's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Route looks alright for the time you have. Take a look at http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/ for any back roads you might be able to add or adjust.

Should be a good trip!
    Thanks!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Jeezzzzz guys, don't talk to them, they'll keep coming back!@#$%
    Hey ozzie, enjoy the rides, the 400 + k days are going to be a bit of a stretch, not unachieveable just tiring and you won't see as much.
    Time's must though aye.
    Will be back over the ditch in Oct for the 21st time on top of the hill with a bunch of good old boys from around Oz who we've known since our first trip over to watch them good old Big Bangers.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Nice route, you're going to have some stunning riding.

Only suggestion would be Wairoa to Gisborne via Tiniroto. Just be aware it's a real back road (still sealed) with a fair bit of stock movement, not a lot of corner markers and quite winding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1995 BMW K1100LT-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Nice route, you're going to have some stunning riding.

Only suggestion would be Wairoa to Gisborne via Tiniroto. Just be aware it's a real back road (still sealed) with a fair bit of stock movement, not a lot of corner markers and quite winding.
    Thanks for the tip Gremlin

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Ah, finally found the laptop. Yeah some good days in those routes man, done most of em with minor variants.

Good to see ya getting down the Naki way and up the forgotten highway on day two, darn good ride. The section from Urenui to Midhurst can be dead boring, if possible venture inland slightly, there is some good b roads that can spit ya out in either Inglewood or Stratford for a Fuel stop prior to the SH43 section. BTW When are ya coming over? Winter or next summer? If winter that forgotten highway can get interesting. Has been known to turn to sludgy mess in the non sealed section. Naki side can get greasy by mid winter with moss on the road. Other than that, a cool ride.

Day three section, crikey that is decent day in the saddle, but a damm good one. Again if in winter, can get bloody cold with the wrong wind across the central plateau, ya need darn good gear. Have done mid winter several times on the bikes and been caught a couple of times in farkin cold cross winds and snow, not pleasant. The parapara section of SH4 between Raetihi and Wanganui can be feckin slippery due to slips etc, take ya time. Having used to live in good ole Raetihi, have been caught out more than a few times over the years during winter with slips, trees and debris scattered over the road, oh and keep well left, the ski bunnies tend to drive like it's a race track!

That back road section to Hunterville is a cracker, recently done up too. Hunterville to Taihape boring as, just watch for the boys in blue as they tend to patrol there heavily. Taihape to Napier, brilliant route.

Day four/five, cracker road, enjoy that route to Gissy. From Gissy around to the Mount, haven't done that section yet, but it's on the bucket list.

Day six, great ride, only done it once, years ago though so no doubt has only got better.

have fun.

Bike
    1995 BMW K1100LT-P
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Ah, finally found the laptop. Yeah some good days in those routes man, done most of em with minor variants.
    I saw you over at motowhere.

Good to see ya getting down the Naki way and up the forgotten highway on day two, darn good ride. The section from Urenui to Midhurst can be dead boring, if possible venture inland slightly, there is some good b roads that can spit ya out in either Inglewood or Stratford for a Fuel stop prior to the SH43 section.
    Check out my revised day 2 in the original post. Is that what you mean?

BTW When are ya coming over? Winter or next summer? If winter that forgotten highway can get interesting. Has been known to turn to sludgy mess in the non sealed section. Naki side can get greasy by mid winter with moss on the road. Other than that, a cool ride.
    Early December.

Day three section, crikey that is decent day in the saddle, but a damm good one. Again if in winter, can get bloody cold with the wrong wind across the central plateau, ya need darn good gear. Have done mid winter several times on the bikes and been caught a couple of times in farkin cold cross winds and snow, not pleasant. The parapara section of SH4 between Raetihi and Wanganui can be feckin slippery due to slips etc, take ya time. Having used to live in good ole Raetihi, have been caught out more than a few times over the years during winter with slips, trees and debris scattered over the road, oh and keep well left, the ski bunnies tend to drive like it's a race track!
    Will summer evade those trevails? Yes, it is the longest ride of the trip. I'm accustomed to doing 500 km from Canberra through the Snowies and back, but I'm tired afterwards and it's not part of a longer tour. Can you see a way to shorten it? Accommodation is an issue here.

That back road section to Hunterville is a cracker, recently done up too. Hunterville to Taihape boring as, just watch for the boys in blue as they tend to patrol there heavily. Taihape to Napier, brilliant route.
    Noted, thank you.

Day four/five, cracker road, enjoy that route to Gissy. From Gissy around to the Mount, haven't done that section yet, but it's on the bucket list.

Day six, great ride, only done it once, years ago though so no doubt has only got better.

have fun.
    We'll try

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    looks ok, but youve picked the wrong island mate.

Bike
    Honda Hornet
    Hello RC. It looks like a fun trip just remember our roads have more twisties than yours, so you may find the distance a little tiring. Most of our roadkill are possums or the odd sheep, no need to watch out for kangaroo, emu, camel or wombats so that's an added plus. Also our potholes are more like puddles, not swimming holes like your ones.

I'm envious - I think I will add this trip to my bucket list, however the south island would be better... beautiful

Thread Information