Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    do it faggot

once your shits configd. One.

errr, yeah. Right.

uh yeah. Except for the fact that thats horseshit and nix does most things better than windows.
    And mac is nix.

Linux runs pretty much everything that matters. Like, the internet.

Small, small world you live in. And some pretty ghey fanboi 'professionals'.

Ime, the ONLY thing tying professionals to windows, like you, is proprietary software.
    root@akzlenix:~ rm -rf /*
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    That's sounds a whole lot like Powershell on Server 2012
    Get-Wittyrerort -identity "Pete376403" -lewdness high | fl | Write-host
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    None any more
    A non-techs assessment of Windows 10 (after 4 days):

Once you strip all of the crap Microsoft bloatware and hypeware away (Edge, One Note, Pictures, Videos, OneDrive, Mail, Bing, Phone, Weather, News, etc in etc), it's just another operating system. It's no faster or more enabling that 7 or 8.1. However it is definitely more invasive -- I now have to login to everything using my Microsoft login, as one example.

Nothing is given away. Even Microsoft Windows traditions for generations of users like Freecell, Solitaire and Minesweeper are gone, relegated to that bizarre Windows XBox games world. Yes, they're "free" but hard and slow to access, and lesser versions of what they once were. I am presuming that the standalone XBoxes are functional devices, because if they are anything like the Windows bloatware version they would never sell. The Windows XBox games are generally shit and many of the apps just don't work (e.g. Skype and Acrobat, which you need to download the desktop versions for if you want full features and performance). If I wanted to play free shitter socially connected games, I'd do that on Facebook. Even Candy Crush Saga (or whatever its name is) is part of the Windows 10 bundle.

As soon as Google Docs becomes a proper word processor, I will be out of Mr Microsoft's world.

And no, Apple four-percenters, I won't be coming to your overpriced desktop operating system and hardware precinct.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    A non-techs assessment of Windows 10 (after 4 days):

Once you strip all of the crap Microsoft bloatware...
    i do.

completely

...by not running it.

As soon as Google Docs becomes a proper word processor, I will be out of Mr Microsoft's world.
    check out apache open office, or, some people can tolerate libreoffice.
    both are much more use than M$ and have (more or less) full support for .docx and otherwise bum-fuck M$.
    and they're free. even on windows.

And no, Apple four-percenters, I won't be coming to your overpriced desktop operating system and hardware precinct.
    you really should, it's not half shit software....

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    check out apache open office, or, some people can tolerate libreoffice.
    both are much more use than M$ and have (more or less) full support for .docx and otherwise bum-fuck M$.
    and they're free. even on windows.
    I tried both a few years ago, and became increasingly frustrated trying to find out how to do things (one was removing a watermark from a client's document and I can't remember the others) that I know Word can do. So I swallowed hard and signed up for Office 365 or 360 or whatever it's called. Their online help was also ratshit -- Kiwi Biker is a great example of the pros and cons of getting help from an unmoderated forum, and that's how Open and Libre used to do the help stuff. Since then MS has followed suit. Gahh! Thud.

The best ever version of Word was the 2002 model. It's been downhill since. I have no idea what Microsoft's rationale for change has been other than difference.

It's just Word. I don't need Excel or PowerPoint as there are way better options elsewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the memory jog. I shall now go and download Open or Libre or both and see how they have improved over the past while.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    You could also checkout Kingsoft Office, AKA WPS. Chinese office suite in both free (was when I got it anyway) and paid versions, very good MS Office 2010 compatibility at a fraction of the price. its probably got a whole heap of security holes / backdoors that the Chinese Government could use if they wanted to - not much different to MS Office in that respect. Im running it on windows 7 but there are Linux and other platforms as well http://www.kingsoftstore.com/
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I'm being spammed by Microsoft now everytime my computer starts, a pop up from the bottom menu bar. Right where they force installed that icon to trick many people into accidently upgrading.
    Anyway the pop up box says upgrade to windows 10 now, free for a limited time. Lost count how many times I've closed the box. No thanks, bugger of microcrap....
    To top it off the mega spyware that it is will hog our net connections too, just look at how much data its sending over the net connection you are paying for:

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

This will allow Microsoft and the greater ******************** to have a way to steal every joke, every poem, every intellectual endeavor you ever create and have it copyrighted before you even stop typing.

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:
    vortex.data.microsoft.com
    vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

This allows them to track you very accurately.

Typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
    df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    pre.footprintpredict.com

This allows them to index any "unauthorized" content...

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

This allows them to get a good layout of your home and surroundings, and a good look at YOU PERSONALLY so they know exactly who to go get and how to stage the attack when something you typed pissed them off.

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

pre.footprintpredict.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    telemetry.appex.bing.net
    telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

So even if you do not type anything, just talking in the room...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    bit of a long bow, but:

http://bgr.com/2015/05/26/ios-androi...s-mac-malware/

i installed something the other day, it added itself to my repository without asking. I removed it. Cuntfaces.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    To top it off the mega spyware that it is will hog our net connections too, just look at how much data its sending over the net connection you are paying for:
    Could you block all those url's you mention in your firewall settings?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    not winblows firewall, presumably, but a router, deffor. Or just nat them to oblivion.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There is the hosts file here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

You can open with Notepad and add entries. Whether Microsoft has done something to circumvent that I'm unsure, but I'd certainly give that a shot. The file is used to lookup host names prior to DNS, so the likes of Spybot add a massive number of malware entries to stop your computer from going to the bad websites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    There is the hosts file here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

You can open with Notepad and add entries. Whether Microsoft has done something to circumvent that I'm unsure, but I'd certainly give that a shot. The file is used to lookup host names prior to DNS, so the likes of Spybot add a massive number of malware entries to stop your computer from going to the bad websites.
    Good call on the hosts file, but yeah, microsoft might have some devious workaround in the background. Akzle's suggestion of blocking it at the router level seems like a good idea? I have a top of the line Asus router...

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Wow.

I'd happily block those URL's from my router (already do that for some advertising sites, to "protect" all PC's in the house at once).

If someone can confirm that wouldn't bork Windows ...

Edit: after a brief random google (is that ironic?) : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r302...s-to-host-file

... it would seem router blocking might sometimes be "best" anyway, as MS apparently bypass the hosts file for some stuff, no telling what more they might start doing that for.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Farken hell, all those users that quickly upgraded from 8 to 10... frying pan to fire anyone?

Only issue with higher level blocking is that if the computer moves to another network or travels, it's vulnerable.

Yay... new headache to figure out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300
    Put them all in your hosts file pointing to 127.0.0.1

Edit. Get to this page and that has already been suggested. Doh.
    Sent via tapatalk.

Thread Information