Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Windows 10

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Not really what I'm using or have available to me as a mod, but VPNs would do that.
    Common for the scammers/spammers though.
    VPNs for private use have become a lot more common though, especially since they are advertised as increasing your online security (which is partly true, but irks me each time I hear it).

I'd be more interested in why the Necro of a 4 year old thread....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not really what I'm using or have available to me as a mod, but VPNs would do that.
    Every second week I'm using my employers computer system (On Stewart Island), it's Headquarters is in Auckland. So usually my "Location" is given as Auckland as that's where it's routed through. But I haven't been there since '85.

I'm not there this week ... but will be there next monday night.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

I'd be more interested in why the Necro of a 4 year old thread....
    Yeah. I'm curious as well.

Bike
    Sold
    Alan,

Google Analytics used to list the source of my blog posts as Wellington and this year as Auckland and I haven't changed anything!

Incidentally I used VPN when we went to China last year and that indeed do as you say. It worked perfectly in Shanghai, patchy as you might expect down the Yangtze and not at all in Beijing. I think that there was some blocking going on at the time.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GSX150 View Post
    Also I can copy and paste the relevant content from the page that I linked to, if the link is an issue somehow. Not sure what the problem is tbh.
    No problem, carry on. We get a lot of spammers trying to slip through. Your first post is on a 3-4 year old thread, linking to a website. Location and IP are a mis-match, but not typical of spammers (list London, posting from Pakistan). So I ask... spammers don't respond. All sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Every second week I'm using my employers computer system (On Stewart Island), it's Headquarters is in Auckland. So usually my "Location" is given as Auckland as that's where it's routed through. But I haven't been there since '85.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Google Analytics used to list the source of my blog posts as Wellington and this year as Auckland and I haven't changed anything!
    Well... it's your own fault for making me turn geek mode on. Your IP address doesn't geo-locate to your precise location most of the time. This is down to your ISPs POP, or point of presence. For small ISPs, they will have one POP for the entire country, bigger ones can have multiple. This basically means your traffic, before you go to the general internet, is transferred somewhere else. So if you're in Wellington, using a Wellington ISP, then the POP is probably Wellington. But you can also be in Wellington, with an Auckland ISP, and then your POP is Auckland.

You also have Peering Exchanges, basically clearing houses for ISPs, APE (Auckland Peering Exchange) swaps a lot of inter ISP traffic, as do others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information