Thread: Looking for riders in Dunedin!

Bike
    1998 RMX250

Looking for riders in Dunedin!

Hi all!
    I have just moved to Dunedin and am looking to meet new people and go out on the trails!

Anyone around here that wouldn't mind showing me around and letting me tag along on some rides?
    I am looking at a KDX this weekend (last bike was an exc200 but sold up to make the move).
    I like enduro and trail style riding. And don't worry you wont have to wait for me

Also are there any local spots I should know/clubs and people I could contact?
    Cheers!
    -Chris

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Boff View Post
    Hi all!
    I have just moved to Dunedin and am looking to meet new people and go out on the trails!

Anyone around here that wouldn't mind showing me around and letting me tag along on some rides?
    I am looking at a KDX this weekend (last bike was an exc200 but sold up to make the move).
    I like enduro and trail style riding. And don't worry you wont have to wait for me

Also are there any local spots I should know/clubs and people I could contact?
    Cheers!
    -Chris
    I'm comin down next weekend and was thinkin it would be good to have a ride down those parts but don't know the area. wr450 and just getting used to it from road bikes lol.

I'm told about a place called Whareflat forrest but am told its a bit slippery in there at this time of year and don't know how to get in there.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    Slippery riding is always a laugh.
    Im keen to get out if you would like to come along, Im hoping Google maps can lead the way there.
    I also found a spot on the way to pick up my bike.. its at Temuka River, apparently the trails split off and there is quite a few trails.
    I left some guys my number and looks like they are keen to meet up.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Slippery riding is always a laugh.
    Im keen to get out if you would like to come along, Im hoping Google maps can lead the way there.
    I also found a spot on the way to pick up my bike.. its at Temuka River, apparently the trails split off and there is quite a few trails.
    I left some guys my number and looks like they are keen to meet up.
    Will have to find out how to get in there and if its allowed in winter as im only going on what my bro in law told me. what are your plans for weekend and are the other guys in Dunedin too?.

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    Fair enough. I know for sure that Temuka river track is a go all year round.
    And there is Temona Gorge to have a look at.
    Im just going off yarns I had with a guy when I stopped at Temuka on the way to get my bike.
    As far as Dunedin riders goes it sounds like there is a few people still keen to get muddy in the winter, but its a tad tricky finding them when there are no trail rides on.

Im free this weekend and keen as anything to get out and explore.
    Flick me a txt 0273512780

Bike
    Temuka river gets REAL bloody soft in parts down by Milford Huts. Go West! Only had a nose in a 4x4 though.

Just thought I'd chime in and tell you to check http://wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.aspx to see what is public land and what roads are legal (formed or unformed) and what is private.

If you combine it with something like www.tramper.co.nz (or the new and awesomely improved DOC website) you can find some awesome spots. Sometimes a call to DOC just to double check before you go can be handy as some places are legally roads, but once they hit reserve land they can have different rules regarding vehicle access. On their websites I usually look for huts to start with and then see what is in the area around them on WAMs.

Used to camp a few times a year up Te Moana gorge. There is a sweet little (6m or so) waterfall that is an awesome swimming spot in the summer. Sadly it is packed full of rock snot now though.
    I think at the top of the road is an old mustering route that you can arrange to get access to. Might be in Ken Siblys 4x4 book?

Also if you're on a road legal machine check http://www.remotemoto.com/. New stuff is constantly popping up and you can now add your own....

I've also heard Piano Flat/s mentioned down there, but it sounded like deep water filled ruts on the way to nothing special.

One last link (fuck this has turned into a novel sorry) won't hurt to ask about tracks and some dudes will have bikes on www.offroadexpress.co.nz

Hopefully you find all the good spots so I don't have to when I move down there in a few years

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Fair enough. I know for sure that Temuka river track is a go all year round.
    And there is Temona Gorge to have a look at.
    Im just going off yarns I had with a guy when I stopped at Temuka on the way to get my bike.
    As far as Dunedin riders goes it sounds like there is a few people still keen to get muddy in the winter, but its a tad tricky finding them when there are no trail rides on.

Im free this weekend and keen as anything to get out and explore.
    Flick me a txt 0273512780
    Seems like the forrest idea is out as you need a permit and wouldn't get one for this weekend.

I might go out to the mx track that's got a meet up at lee stream on sunday and join the have a go class.

I don't think ya need a mnz licence to be in the have a go class but should check with craig from the mosgiel motorcycle club on fb on that.

If ya keen to travel there is a far amount of track up at Alexandra im told is awesome but haven't had time to check them out yet.

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    Fair enough, the mx sounds choice!
    Might head along and run into you. Or even race with you haha.
    Still have to set my suspension and everything up to suit me, so will potter with it after work

Also cheers Taz! Awesome info, if I scope out some decent trails Ill be sure to post them up.

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    So the Mx has been cancelled again.

I still plan to get out and ride if you would like to join me. What track to go on?

Bike
    1998 RMX250
    I have fished this out of the forums:

"GOOD PLACES TO RIDE IN DUNEDIN!!!!
    Titri park-1/2 hr drive south and cost $15 for non club members.

Waihola Forest -1/2 hr drive south just past Titri park.You do need a permit for forestry riding in Dunnos-Avaliable from all bike shops.

Silverpeaks-20min drive north of DunedinFairly overgrown and has a small old quarry.

Herbert Forest-Drive 3/4hr north to palmerston and go inland another 10min to forest.Heaps of good tracks and goes right through trotters gorge.

Mt Allan-20min drive from Dunedin out the back of Mosgiel.Ride tracks all day and have a blast-You do need a permit for here.

Dunstan Trail-50 mins from Dunedin and goes from clarks junction pub."

Thread Information