Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal Enfield

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    The R.E. cafe racer is a red dot special allright....

brembo brakes,

Italian suspension....

great looks....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Watching TV Travel Channel (25) and seeing those dudes on Royal Enfileds.
    I like the 'olde school' looks of them

Anybody had any experience with them (the 'new updated' models!).

Any good and are they semi-reliable??
    An extra few grand gets you a real BSA Gold Star
    Faster, cooler, cheaper rego and is an appreciating asset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    An Enfield is about $10K new. Please show me where I could get a genuine Goldie for $13K.

BTW theres a documentary on Choice tonight 7;30 (so you've just missed it) Guy Martin in India riding an old style Enfield. Second part on next week
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    An Enfield is about $10K new. Please show me where I could get a genuine Goldie for $13K.

BTW theres a documentary on Choice tonight 7;30 (so you've just missed it) Guy Martin in India riding an old style Enfield. Second part on next week
    the list price is 10000 but you still have the rest of the hidden stuff say $500. rego is dearer too.
    Just looked only two on tm are race bikes at 15k there was a tasty clubman one on a while back.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...estedCategory=
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2017 Triumph Bonneville
    Yep, I log about 600 km every week commuting to work on a 2013 Classic. Had a lot of problems at the beginning, but seem to have ridden all of them out after about 15,000 km or so. I'm about to hit 30,000 km with no problems (knock on wood). Let me know if you have any specific questions.

"Anybody had any experience with them (the 'new updated' models!).

"Any good and are they semi-reliable??"

Bike
    2003 Buell xb9r
    Knew a guy with an original 1975. Ported polished, balanced, lightened and a bigger carb.

26HP on dyno before mods, 29hp after mods.
    Reckon he would have got more if he took the windscreen off.
    Had a sheepskin cover for the seat as it took him twice as long to get anywhere so it had to be comfortable. Saw they light and brought one of those black sporties.

Value from a bike built in India using old borrowed technology - you get what you pay for.
    If it blows your hair back and makes you feel good then fine ( tuck your hair in though and you might reach the speed limit ).
    Happy as a dog with 2 cocks - dont know which one to lick

Bike
    08 KTM 690 Enduro
    I rode from Karnataka to Himachal Pradesh on a 1977 350 bullet with my girl friend a few years back.

I wasn't intending to buy a bike but ran into someone desperate to sell one. I bought it for US$350, threw our backpacks on the racks and set off the next day on a 4000km trip. Zero preparation. Had a blast!

At one point we blew second gear so had the gearbox rebuilt by a mechanic and Enfield enthusiast in his 60s. Total price for work was NZ$70

I also explained to him that the battery was slowly running down when the headlight was on. He removed the magnets from the magneto and stuck them to a big electro magnet in his workshop for half an hour. Problem solved

When I first arrived at his workshop he started the bike and listened to it for about 20 seconds at various revs. He then gave me a run down on the condition of piston, rings, big and small end bearings.

Every part is available for the bike in every town, including a huge range of aftermarket accessories.

THIS is the awesome situation when you only have 4 or 5 models of bike in a country.

The best place to ride an Enfield is in India.

....I must admit though there was the odd time I wished I had my XLV750

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Three more weeks and off to India for 3 weeks of RE riding
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    08 KTM 690 Enduro

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Three more weeks and off to India for 3 weeks of RE riding
    Have a great time

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Full credit to Steve Linsdell for his achievements with getting super-performance from his R-E machines, but I doubt much Indian stuff was involved..

The Indian Enfield I rode was distinctly uninspiring, & very much of the awful old 'grey porridge' ilk - that was justly swept away by Nippon machnes in the `60s..

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Went for a spin on a Royal Enfield 500 single today, bit of knack to starting with the decompressor, gear shift is same as Commando so no issues there, front drum brake was next to useless.
    The one in India will have a disc I'm told.
    Rode it about 20 minutes on gravel and it seemed ok at 80kmph, missus thought it was comfortable enough. Roll on October 10 I say.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1968 Kawasaki B1L

Enfield Bullet

I've had a 1974 500 Bullet for the last 18 years. No major problems. Crappy chrome and plastic bitz, but that's of no concern to me. Crappy brakes (even with twin-leading), but they're well matched to the acceleration and top speed.

I haven't ridden any of the newer ones, so can't comment on them.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    The R.E. cafe racer is a red dot special allright....

brembo brakes,

Italian suspension....

great looks....
    Rode the old bullet in the UK, rode the 'indian' Enfield in the '80's' {350} and ridden the classic and the Conti for a reasonable 'test ride'.
    Over the Paekakariki Hill, there were a couple of guys in BMW 650 singles behind me, the handling of the Conti was spot on, even they commented it was clipping along; Just surf torque and they are pretty reasonable.

SR400 Vs Conti? Top speed is within km's of eachother, and on looks alone? WHY would you go SR400?

Was SERIOUSLY thinking of a Conti, BUT, rumour is, the new 750 twin will be going in the Conti as the 'Interceptor'. I'm holding odd to see if.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Not long back from 2 weeks in Northern India amongst the Himalayan foothills, 2 up on a 500 Bullet.
    Knock 100 h.p. off my Beemer for starters and then halve the remainder for operation up to 18,000 feet. Basic suspension and rudimentary brakes BUT!!!!! it was amazing where it would willingly go. Some really rough roads and loose surfaces - even deep and exceedingly fine dust.
    About half the bike weight must be flywheel because it would smoothly pull from steam engine rev's with really good traction as a consequence.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Not long back from 2 weeks in Northern India amongst the Himalayan foothills, 2 up on a 500 Bullet.
    Knock 100 h.p. off my Beemer for starters and then halve the remainder for operation up to 18,000 feet. Basic suspension and rudimentary brakes BUT!!!!! it was amazing where it would willingly go. Some really rough roads and loose surfaces - even deep and exceedingly fine dust.
    About half the bike weight must be flywheel because it would smoothly pull from steam engine rev's with really good traction as a consequence.
    back in the 70's know an old fart { my age now} lol, who had a 500 bullet {original} with a double adult chair... it chugged along quite steady
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information