Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Any freeriding spots around Auckland?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    29th May 2012 - 17:29
    Bike
    KTM 200exc 2004
    Location
    Wellsford
    Posts
    112

    Any freeriding spots around Auckland?

    Hello there, me and a mate were planning on going on a trip one weekend soon,
    We are planning on going to Pouto point for a ride... is there anything we need to know about before we go? i don't even know if its legal or not but anyway. how likely is the chance of getting ripped off or any other tips to give us?
    And any other riding spots around the Rodney district?
    Cheers
    Ruts Before Sluts

  2. #2
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,051
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM200/stevo0987 View Post
    Hello there, me and a mate were planning on going on a trip one weekend soon,
    We are planning on going to Pouto point for a ride... is there anything we need to know about before we go? i don't even know if its legal or not but anyway. how likely is the chance of getting ripped off or any other tips to give us?
    And any other riding spots around the Rodney district?
    Cheers
    If the area is a Public place ... as in Public have (free .. ???) access .. WOF and registration is required.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    29th May 2012 - 17:29
    Bike
    KTM 200exc 2004
    Location
    Wellsford
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If the area is a Public place ... as in Public have (free .. ???) access .. WOF and registration is required.
    Freeriding as in a beach, some sand dunes or something..
    Ruts Before Sluts

  4. #4
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,051
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM200/stevo0987 View Post
    Freeriding as in a beach, some sand dunes or something..
    Both of these are defined as public places.


    And unless otherwise signposted as such ... WOF/Rego is required and local speed limits for that area must be observed.

    Most beaches usually have a speed limit of less than 50 km/hr.
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    9th January 2006 - 12:26
    Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    4,393
    kerotahi beach near waiuku is open, if you dont speed around the carpark/surf club you dont have an issue, can be quite busy tho, there are some dunes near the mouth of the waikato river,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    2013 Busa 2013 FJR1300
    Location
    Northern Waikato
    Posts
    2,332
    Seen a few dirtbike hoons here in Wiri over the weekend, splashing around in the old quarry where they're dumping the tunnel muck from the Waterview tunnel project. No idea as to the legalities of this adventure, but it looked like fun
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    6,057
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    kerotahi beach near waiuku is open, if you dont speed around the carpark/surf club you dont have an issue, can be quite busy tho, there are some dunes near the mouth of the waikato river,
    good fishing too

  8. #8
    Join Date
    15th February 2010 - 16:06
    Bike
    RM250
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by KTM200/stevo0987 View Post
    Hello there, me and a mate were planning on going on a trip one weekend soon,
    We are planning on going to Pouto point for a ride... is there anything we need to know about before we go? i don't even know if its legal or not but anyway. how likely is the chance of getting ripped off or any other tips to give us?
    And any other riding spots around the Rodney district?
    Cheers
    You can go to Muriwai although people on here will tell you that you cant. Just don't ride your bike on the beach then you don't need a warrant and reg. We normally drive down the beach with 4wd's and trailers and park up in the dunes. Sometimes the army will stop you if they are doing something up there but they just turn you around. We have seen them up there and they've just asked us to stay out of the bush. Take more than one 4wd, get the tide right, don't ride on the beach, respect other beach users and you should be fine. Some cool jumps to be found up in them dunes.

    http://www.freeridermx.com/riding/fmx/freeriding-the-beach-%E2%80%93-video

    Keriotahi can be fun to, there is a bit of a hill climb down buy the river mouth just watch out for 4wd's.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2nd August 2006 - 22:17
    Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    Location
    Hartford Connecticut USA
    Posts
    4,109
    Quote Originally Posted by apex View Post
    You can go to Muriwai although people on here will tell you that you cant. Just don't ride your bike on the beach then you don't need a warrant and reg. We normally drive down the beach with 4wd's and trailers and park up in the dunes. Sometimes the army will stop you if they are doing something up there but they just turn you around. We have seen them up there and they've just asked us to stay out of the bush. Take more than one 4wd, get the tide right, don't ride on the beach, respect other beach users and you should be fine. Some cool jumps to be found up in them dunes.

    http://www.freeridermx.com/riding/fmx/freeriding-the-beach-%E2%80%93-video

    Keriotahi can be fun to, there is a bit of a hill climb down buy the river mouth just watch out for 4wd's.
    And then you post a video of everything you told him not to do im sure last time i was out there that there are signs everywhere telling you not to ride one the dune therefore making it illegal.

    https://at.govt.nz/driving-parking/r...ty/road-rules/
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

  10. #10
    Join Date
    20th July 2004 - 12:24
    Bike
    Orange
    Location
    Sky City
    Posts
    71
    Awesome riding over the Auckland Museum grounds (high speed jumps) and Musick Point golf club is good too, especially launching out of the bunkers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    16th March 2013 - 12:22
    Bike
    2007 KTM 540 EXC
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    66
    Hey, pouto point is all good to ride at. Don't need wof or Rego, some good dune riding. Easiest was is to go in at baylys beach and then head south - if you have enough fuel to make it, it's a long beach. Just don't be knobs around the 'gaps', I.e where the access points to get onto the beach where the people are.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    16th March 2013 - 12:22
    Bike
    2007 KTM 540 EXC
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    66
    *caveat. legally Ripiro beach is a state highway. But it's not enforced if you're being sensible.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •