Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Needing help with gravel driveway riding on sports bikes

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Hi KP. All of this stuff above is great advice and will help you negotiate that shit of a driveway of yours. I reckon though you are undoing yourself by over thinking it. I really understand the fear you have of falling off your bike, it is embarrassing at the best of times. Trust me, I have gone to ground so many times of recent years, all at slow speed. I blame a lack of leg length for the most part for me.

You obviously, have a completely different set of physical things to consider. One thing occurs to me though sweetie, go and talk to your doctor about what damage you could do to that neck of yours if you do happen to topple off at slow speed. I am picking none. Find that out, then release the fear of injury. You generally wont hurt yourself too much at slow speed anyway, well apart from your ego, I gave up worrying about that a long time ago.

I hope you can get your head in a place that you can ride your driveway. Feel that fear love, and do it anyway. Take everyone who has offered help up on their offers and beat the gravel.

If there is anyone that can do that it is you!

Much love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Hi KP. All of this stuff above is great advice and will help you negotiate that shit of a driveway of yours. I reckon though you are undoing yourself by over thinking it. I really understand the fear you have of falling off your bike, it is embarrassing at the best of times. Trust me, I have gone to ground so many times of recent years, all at slow speed. I blame a lack of leg length for the most part for me.

You obviously, have a completely different set of physical things to consider. One thing occurs to me though sweetie, go and talk to your doctor about what damage you could do to that neck of yours if you do happen to topple off at slow speed. I am picking none. Find that out, then release the fear of injury. You generally wont hurt yourself too much at slow speed anyway, well apart from your ego, I gave up worrying about that a long time ago.

I hope you can get your head in a place that you can ride your driveway. Feel that fear love, and do it anyway. Take everyone who has offered help up on their offers and beat the gravel.

If there is anyone that can do that it is you!

Much love.
    Wot my Mom said including "much love'
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post

And thanks to Spyda for coming around last week to check out the drive in person, in it's current state - have a few things to work on from that too.
    what needs to be done.I am happy to front up with a trailer full of gravel and a spade and a shovel and a rake.Just tell me what kind of material to collect from the quarry (Just a normal trailer quantity)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Oh, Katiepie has long legs. Mmmm.
    My comment about engine bars, distanzias ect was only a bit tongue in cheek. If you worry less about your bike you get a bit more commitment. Your going slowly so a step off will be ok for you and the bike will just lie on it's farkles. Waggling your legs around and gassing it is a last resort. The bike controls you and once your momentum stops it's all over.
    Fingers crossed the KB work crew can help but still keep those engine bars in mind, easy way to stop a lot of heartache.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2010 Thunderbird
    U need to talk to your guys at work , had a similar prob with my driveway when on vmax . They put a hardened compound underneath and rolled it when watered it and it set like concrete , I think it had a mix of that and builders mix in it . P.S your neighbors a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just going my own way

Bike
    Honda PC800
    katiepie-Im not being a smart alec here. Given its a shit of a drive and you have a shit of a Landlord.Combined with a health issue that gives good reason to be worried about falling off Wouldn't the best solution be simply to move house?
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    katiepie-Im not being a smart alec here. Given its a shit of a drive and you have a shit of a Landlord.Combined with a health issue that gives good reason to be worried about falling off Wouldn't the best solution be simply to move house?
    stop being sensible.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Already asked/answered:

My crash has left me in a challenging financial situation and thanks to our buddies at ACC I am many years away from being able to afford to live anywhere else on the income that I now earn post accident.

So no, not an option. I am lucky to live where I do for what I pay, and house my two dogs while renting. You can't even get a tiny unit in the suburbs for what I pay and to be honest this house is one of the only things that pulled me through a messy few years.

Here for at least another 4 years plus again so it's about time I got over this fear of my driveway and tackled it head on!

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Bottom line , relax.

"If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Wet clay is nasty on anything regardless of size or tyres. Skill doesn't help much with random sledging and slides on stuff that slippery.
    I'd be sweet talking your boss into tipping off leftovers up your driveway... Or any mates with dairy farms, they spend big limestoning tanker tracks.
    Whats the edge/drains like? Often any original gravel collects in there nicely. Twice I've been thwarted by inch thick sheets of ice in Kaweka 4WD tracks while on the DR. I ice skate backwards with my legs spread into the ditch, turn bike around then ride down hill through the ditch/water table to get down the hill.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R6
    It's been a challenging winter, but my bike is now back on the road with better tread. I have family down helping me while I work 2 jobs and juggle my dogs as well. So, I have had no choice but to commute on my bike the past week as my mum has needed the car while I'm gone 16 hours a day.

Long story short - I have been tackling the driveway head on with no hesitations, knowing that I can't stuff this up. And we have been getting some torrential rain these past few days and it certainly is in quite a state.

But I am absolutely over the moon to report I have stayed upright and allowed the bike to slide and move below me, worked a lot of good revs and a very steady throttle, and where I'm looking.

I think a huge part of this for me is getting over the huge fear of this, and also not having a choice not to do it.

White bike is now a beautiful messy brown, but feeling much much better about something I am in little control of.

Right - this rain can ease up now :)

Once again - thanks everyone for your great advice. I will be doing my best to resolve some driveway issues in the future, but for now your advice on best approach to riding this has been very beneficial indeed. Much appreciated.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    White bike is now a beautiful messy brown, but feeling much much better about something I am in little control of.
    Go Pie. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, someone famous once said
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sels1 View Post
    Go Pie. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, someone famous once said
    Neil Patrick Harris, while sipping herbal tea and riding a small tiger from Sydney to London I believe.

Bike
    suzuki
    It's been a challenging winter, but my bike is now back on the road with better tread. I have family down helping me while I work 2 jobs and juggle my dogs as well. So, I have had no choice but to commute on my bike the past week as my mum has needed the car while I'm gone 16 hours a day.

Long story short - I have been tackling the driveway head on with no hesitations, knowing that I can't stuff this up. And we have been getting some torrential rain these past few days and it certainly is in quite a state.

But I am absolutely over the moon to report I have stayed upright and allowed the bike to slide and move below me, worked a lot of good revs and a very steady throttle, and where I'm looking.

I think a huge part of this for me is getting over the huge fear of this, and also not having a choice not to do it.

Right - this rain can ease up now

Once again - thanks everyone for your great advice. I will be doing my best to resolve some driveway issues in the future, but for now your advice on best approach to riding this has been very beneficial indeed. Much appreciated.
    i knew you'd lick it and often it's by being forced into doing it regularly, nothing wrong with a bike slipping and sliding under you, as long as you know that you're onto it. still need to double check ya set up one day though.

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Bottom line , relax.

Canadian Show!

Hopefully you have sorted out those challenges..... they don't seem easy. I haven't read all the posts, however one thing that helps me on the wider (and steep) trails is to do a slight zig-zag (think more of a weave) .... it might not be a good idea in your case... really depends on what the driveway looks like. Weaving up allows you to miss the worst sections. Also standing up helps a lot.... although at first it seems intimidating. Pick your path ahead of time and follow it... eyes up.

Hope you don't need any of this advice anymore.

Thread Information