Thread: Callout to any Excel experts

Bike
    Dont have one now

Callout to any Excel experts

I am doing some budgetry work and copied and pasted a p&l out of a workbook into a new work book. So far all ok. I then opened a new tab in the new workbook and typed = into a cell i wanted to bring one of the p&l totals or values into, flicked back to the previous tab, clicked on the cell i wanted to copy or link and hit enter. Not usually a problem. This time, the formula is there on the formula bar but the value in the cell copied or linked didnt transfer, it just has a zero value?

any clues?

ps it works with anything i type in an empty cell but not from a cell from the p&l i copied and pasted in

Bike
    Mine
    Try hitting F9. I've had Excel fail to recalculate on occasion.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Does the formula contain a reference to a specific sheet name? Is there a macro performing the calculation that's looking at a specific sheet name?
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Yerp, auto calculations have turned off. Seems to occur at random occasionally.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I am doing some budgetry work and copied and pasted a p&l out of a workbook into a new work book. So far all ok. I then opened a new tab in the new workbook and typed = into a cell i wanted to bring one of the p&l totals or values into, flicked back to the previous tab, clicked on the cell i wanted to copy or link and hit enter. Not usually a problem. This time, the formula is there on the formula bar but the value in the cell copied or linked didnt transfer, it just has a zero value?

any clues?

ps it works with anything i type in an empty cell but not from a cell from the p&l i copied and pasted in
    Excel is funny - you will find that when you return to the sheet, finish your formula and press enter, the references all change to the sheet you wrote the formula on.

To fix this, don't press enter at the end - use the tab button. The references will stay.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    F9 didnt cut it, seems the formula is correct, just that the value doesnt carry through from first tab, just remain at zero. Excel 2013 has a recalculate button as well and it doesnt resolve
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    Does the formula contain a reference to a specific sheet name? Is there a macro performing the calculation that's looking at a specific sheet name?
    Yes it does, no macro, pretty basic, just trying to drag a value from one tab to the next but the vaue changes on the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Yerp, auto calculations have turned off. Seems to occur at random occasionally.
    Nup, auto calculate on
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Excel is funny - you will find that when you return to the sheet, finish your formula and press enter, the references all change to the sheet you wrote the formula on.

To fix this, don't press enter at the end - use the tab button. The references will stay.
    I will give this a lash tomorrow

Thread Information