Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Some questions re biking in New Zealand

Bike
    00 Gixxer 750 and ZX10 tricycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    I will be moving from Scotland to Auckland in October. I intend to import my bike too. Looking for information regarding insurance costs. I am an old fart biker (aged 56 and 11/12) that rides a Suzuki 1200 Bandit. Does anyone know the likely insurance costs please? I will have one year's no claims bonus by the time I arrive. Also a licence question, I have held a car licence for forty years but a bike licence for just over a year. As I understand it I will be able to obtain an NZ car licence immediately. In relation to the bike licence, having held it for less than two years it appears I will have to sit a test. Can anyone clarify if that means I will have to sit an on road test only or will I have to pass your equivalent of the Highway Code or driving theory test. Thanks in advance.
    For god sakes if you see another bike on the road don't forget to wave
    Built for speed, not for comfort

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Just as aside, when we moved out I looked into bringing my car.

Shipping containers can go door to door unopened. MAF will inspect it at your house for you.

If there is a vehicle inside though, the container must be unpacked at the port.

That sounds a right pain in the arse Johnny. Might change my mind and flog the Bandit here and buy one in NZ (with the right clocks). Although it would be difficult as I have an irrational, emotional attachment to the bike. Excuse the ignorance but what or who is MAF?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Auckland is the powerhouse of the country with most of the companies located or re-locating to the industrial areas of the city. Aucklanders would probably admit that we would prefer big companies to be located in areas away from us, to ease up on everything (congestion, housing demands, labour availability, etc) but scales of economy don't help.
    Smaller town people like to hate "Jafa's" due to every small reason they can think up, and then have to give their town a nickname which has "Vegas" tagged on to it to make it sound "bright lights! exciting" when it really has one traffic light... IF they are lucky. The sole exception is Rotorua "RotoVegas!" which deserves the title since they thought it up.

There. Plenty to get the townsfolk of KB suitably enraged and heading off to get their pitchforks and burning torches...
    We will have to start off in Auckland. Wouldn't be averse at all to moving further afield though. Enjoyed RotoVegas when I visited last. A lot of Scottish people outside of Glasgow have a dislike and distrust of Glaswegians or "weegies" as they call them.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Howzit OP? If your moving to Auks have you got house sorted? They are ridiculously expensive compared to the rest of the country. Mind you, there is a bloke on the North Shore who puts together a fine haggis.

I recently imported a bike and it was a bloody nightmare. Not so much at this end but the logistics company were horrendous. It took 9 months & finally turned up strapped to a pallet and wrapped in bubble wrap & cling film! Keys had vanished so had an exhaust sent with it. Customs, MPI and the freight handlers at this end were very helpful and reasonably efficient.

I will start the process of getting it road registered soon, a whole new ball game.
    I'm good thanks George. How are you doing? Good to know that I can still get some haggis in N.Z. Nothing like some sheep's brains to fill you up. The more I hear from you guys about importing, the more I am thinking I won't bother! Which logistics company did you use please?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Dont get to settled up there eh,when the bike turns up pack her indoors and some gear and head South...chances are you wont want to go back across the ditch.Whatever happens a welcome to you...enjoy.
    Would be very tempted to move as previously mentioned the house prices in Auckland are crazy high. Problem is that I am a step granddad to a lovely little Kiwi girl that stays in Auckland. She would miss me loads if I moved away. Looking forward to spending some time touring. We haven't been to South Island yet. I hear it is stunning. Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm really looking forward to coming over.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Not quite. There's a bit of history between England and Scotland so the way those tartan gingery Scotch people feel is somewhat understandable. As an Englishman who lived in Aberdeen when Braveheart came out I can vouch for the strength of that feeling.

The hate hate relationship with Auckland is nothing like as serious. In fact is it mildly amusing when they come back with words like powerhouse and heart of the economy, or should I say 发电厂 and
    的心脏 经济 for the locals.

Seriously though, if you want to live in a big shitty city with all the life draining crap that goes with it then there are places all over the world that fit the bill. If you come to NZ you have to head out of the metropolis and see what else there is, it's a fucking great place.
    I think nowadays the dislike Scottish people have is of the politics of Westminster not England in general. People from Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow have more similarities than differences in my opinion. The anti Westminster thing would seem to be a reasonable explanation for Scotland voting no to independence but then throwing out every Westminster party at the UK general elections. So loads of no to independence voters must have voted for the Scottish National Party at the general election. That's a shame that you had to live in Aberdeen. Wild horses couldn't drag me there to live. It's permanently bloody freezing and they really don't like west coasters up there. They also fit the Scottish stereotype of being mean and miserable with money. Also from the little that I have seen of it, I do agree New Zealand is a great place.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Nicely put B,push comes to shove if he gets homesick he can always spend some time in Dunners which in turn will remind him why he left.
    I've heard that. Won't be in a hurry to go there. Anywhere that reminds me of Edinburgh will have me running a mile. Just recently found out the Dunedin is actually Scots Gaelic for Edinburgh.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    I find it difficult to respond to that post without using all of the four letter words that I have at my disposal. Lets just say that after seven years in Aberdeen I came to NZ to get away from all that shit and thought, you know, the other side of the world might be far enough. Little did I know that I would end up in a town that is more Scottish than anywhere in Scotland and be living next door to some fucking wanker who played the fucking pipes, if played can ever be the correct word. Fuckers should explode when they cross the equator.

At least we have better weather.

As we say in Scotland Berries, nae fooking luck.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
    For god sakes if you see another bike on the road don't forget to wave
    I always do

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Lang may yer lum reek
    Cheers rastuscat. Lang may yours reek too. Am I correct in assuming that you are a Scot too?

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    Cheers thanks very much for that guys. Ulster Kiwi it is a 1998 Mark1 Bandit (a.k.a) Big Black Beastie. Hard to value as the mark 1 values here seem to be appreciating. I paid the equivalent of $2600 for it. Insurance seem to be more expensive in NZ. I pay the equivalent of $268 here. Although my location is rural which helps the premiums immensely. Are modifications hammered in terms of premiums in NZ? I have a viper race can, Renthal bars and Hagon progressive springs on mine this doubled my initial unmodified insurance quote here!
    I don't know if anyone's told you (can't be fucked reading it all) - Insurance is NOT compulsory in Godzone ... but at least 3rd party insurance is a good idea.

It depends on the company how they react to mods - and those are minor - my company (John Baker) would not even blink.

Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Importing a 1998 bandit. Would say its more cost effective to sell yours and buy another here. 3k pounds will get a good one.

Maybe if your already paying for a container that's not yet full that could be worth it.
    True - but then I have a huge emotional attachment to my bikes so I would want to take them with me ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    I find it difficult to respond to that post without using all of the four letter words that I have at my disposal. Lets just say that after seven years in Aberdeen I came to NZ to get away from all that shit and thought, you know, the other side of the world might be far enough. Little did I know that I would end up in a town that is more Scottish than anywhere in Scotland and be living next door to some fucking wanker who played the fucking pipes, if played can ever be the correct word. Fuckers should explode when they cross the equator.

At least we have better weather.

Apparently there are more pipe bands in NZ than in Scotland ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    big shiney pommy thing
    Welcome over mate but if your going to Auckland you better buy an umbrella!!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Apparently there are more pipe bands in NZ than in Scotland ..
    Even more if you count P pipes...

Thread Information