Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Some questions re biking in New Zealand

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    Big Dog's idea about buying in Tuakau makes a lot of sense just checked out the house prices. Much, much cheaper! Saw a nice bandit 1250 on Trade Me. I think it probably would make more sense to buy in NZ. Thanks for the info re MAF/MPI. I read about the Ulysees MCC does anyone know much about them? I believe that they are for old fart bikers like me.
    Be careful where. Avoid cherry grove and lili Ave. Be prepared to spend money on insulation for anything built before the 90s.

The worst areas in tuakau are still less hazardous than the average areas in akl.
    Prices should rise when the new dairy plant in pokeno goes on line.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Thanks for the very helpful info Big Dog.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by 240 View Post
    Welcome over mate but if your going to Auckland you better buy an umbrella!!

I just checked the yearly rainfall averages for Glasgow and Auckland. The worst month for rainfall in Auckland is roughly the same as Glasgow's best month for rainfall. In January it rains on average for 25 days of the month and most of the other months aren't much better.

Glasgow rainfall.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

mm 130 90 120 50 60 70 70 60 80 110 100 120
    Days 25 22 23 22 19 20 21 21 20 24 24 22

Consequently, we don't go out as much as you guys.

Table goes a bit wonky when I hit submit but you get the idea.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    At least you can ride all year in Auckland if you're prepared to put the wet weathers on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    At least you can ride all year in Auckland if you're prepared to put the wet weathers on.

To be fair - you need the wet weathers pretty much any time of year!

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    To be fair - you need the wet weathers pretty much any time of year!
    Bit of wet won't stop me. When I was young and daft I used to ride in snow and ice. Moto-Skiing I called it.

Bike
    You won't find any of that here - he says as he gazes out the window at a lawn of white, on this fine frosty morning.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Bit of wet won't stop me. When I was young and daft I used to ride in snow and ice. Moto-Skiing I called it.
    Ditto. Commuted on a bike for 12 years in Grampian, all year round. Has taken it's toll, though. I have white finger now, killed a few nerves apparently. I don't miss skittering across the frozen ruts of slush or bouncing off the road side snow banks. I must have been nuts!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Ditto. Commuted on a bike for 12 years in Grampian, all year round. Has taken it's toll, though. I have white finger now, killed a few nerves apparently. I don't miss skittering across the frozen ruts of slush or bouncing off the road side snow banks. I must have been nuts!
    Co-incidentally it was riding in the Grampian area I was thinking about. I was in Lossiemouth for three months during the worst winter I can recall. Prior to going there I had plans to ride to Aberdeen, Wick, and various other places. The average temperature during the period was -20F. So the furthest I got was Elgin (5 miles away). As I got off the bike at the end of the ride, I fell over as my knees had locked solid with the cold.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Co-incidentally it was riding in the Grampian area I was thinking about. I was in Lossiemouth for three months during the worst winter I can recall. Prior to going there I had plans to ride to Aberdeen, Wick, and various other places. The average temperature during the period was -20F. So the furthest I got was Elgin (5 miles away). As I got off the bike at the end of the ride, I fell over as my knees had locked solid with the cold.
    Yeah, when it was really cold, after my 45 mile night time commute, I would lean the bike against the wall and toot the horn so my G/F could help me off the bike otherwise I just fell over with bike on top of me. No feeling whatsoever below the Trossachs.
    Might have been the same winter it reached a maximum of -18c in Inverurie during a week long cold snap IIRC
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yeah, when it was really cold, after my 45 mile night time commute, I would lean the bike against the wall and toot the horn so my G/F could help me off the bike otherwise I just fell over with bike on top of me. No feeling whatsoever below the Trossachs.
    Might have been the same winter it reached a maximum of -18c in Inverurie during a week long cold snap IIRC
    It was Jan-March 1984. People stuck up the Lecht, getting dragged off trains that were stuck to save them dying from hypothermia. It was mental!

It was -20c not -20f

Top ten coldest recorded temperatures in the UK
    This lists the lowest temperatures recorded in separate cold spells since 1961.

Date Station Area Temperature
    1 10 January 1982 Braemar East Scotland -27.2 °C
    1 30 December 1995 Altnaharra No 2 North Scotland -27.2 °C
    3 13 December 1981 Shawbury Midlands -25.2 °C
    4 13 January 1979 Carnwath West Scotland -24.6 °C
    5 20 January 1984 Grantown-On-Spey East Scotland -23.6 °C
    6 27 January 1985 Lagganlia North Scotland -23.4 °C

7 13 January 1987 Caldecott P Sta Midlands -23.3 °C
    8 08 January 2010 Altnaharra No 2 North Scotland -22.3 °C
    9 18 February 1960 Grantown-On-Spey East Scotland -22.2 °C
    9 30 December 1961 Cannich North Scotland -22.2 °C
    9 18 January 1963 Braemar East Scotland -22.2 °C

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    That could have been the year we got stuck on the Drummochter Pass heading for a ski trip! They closed the gates because of drifting. People were rescued from their vehicles by snow cats. I spent the night sleeping on top of someones chest freezer. T'was unbelievable. Took some photos the next day. One of them showed the top 6 inches of a telegraph pole poking out of the snow.
    We all got out by snow plough train. Huge big blade higher than the engine on the front. You could hear it smashing into drifts, reversing, and having another go as it came up the pass. Just huge booms in the distance, slowly getting louder. Bloody eerie.

I'm sure you will love it here. It was 3c last night and we had a frost!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    That's the deed done. Bought my first N.Z. bike. Got insured through Kiwibiker on my U.K. licence no worries. They were a delight to deal with. Can't believe how cheap the bike insurance is here compared to the U.K. I suppose it makes up for the high Rego costs. Looking forward very much to riding in N.Z., and leaving the shitty Scottish summer we have just had behind.

Bike
    CB1300
    Spend more time riding and less time crashing and that equation becomes more attractive.

If your bike spends to much time in the shed that equation sucks.

Sent via tapatalk.

Thread Information