Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does this look for a Northland road trip?

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

How does this look for a Northland road trip?

Gonna be on my GSXR Thou.

Thinking of swinging by 90 mile beach to see what the fuss is about also!

Will I have trouble running out of fuel?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    There is fuel at Waitiki 20 km from the Cape. Fuel up at Awanui BP before head up Far North road and you'll be sweet.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    There is fuel at Waitiki 20 km from the Cape. Fuel up at Awanui BP before head up Far North road and you'll be sweet.
    Sweet as.

I was actually going to take the scenic route from Russel to Whangarei - will there be any gas down that way?

Bike
    Katana GS650 1983
    After Whangarei at Whakapara turn off and do the Helena Bay road upto the ferry crossing at Okiato - very scenic good roads
    YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!! ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU HAVE IT!!

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by IkieBikie View Post
    After Whangarei at Whakapara turn off and do the Helena Bay road upto the ferry crossing at Okiato - very scenic good roads
    Yup - was on the route but for some reason google maps changed it when I embedded it

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    Sweet as.

I was actually going to take the scenic route from Russel to Whangarei - will there be any gas down that way?
    Pretty sure there is still a servo at the corner of Old Russel Road and State Highway 1. It has usually been at night when I have gone past though so it has been shut. Haven't been diving up that way in a while though so not sure if it is still there. Haven't taken the bike either but Old Russel road feels like it could be a good bit of fun on two wheels.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I did Northland loop in October and detoured to Helena Bay and Russell. Didn't do the HW16 bit though.

Awesome roads up there and as I posted at the time, possibly the best roads for motorcycling in the country. By that I mean no one up north has any idea what a straight line is. Reached the point of exhaustion from flicking left, right, left, right all day and night. No concerns with petrol supply.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I did Northland loop in October and detoured to Helena Bay and Russell. Didn't do the HW16 bit though.

Awesome roads up there and as I posted at the time, possibly the best roads for motorcycling in the country. By that I mean no one up north has any idea what a straight line is. Reached the point of exhaustion from flicking left, right, left, right all day and night. No concerns with petrol supply.
    About how far between most stops? I only have an ity bity tank on my 250 but wouldn't mind exploring up there a bit.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Any cops about?

I presume just on the looooooong SH1 straight bits up to the cape but nadda else otherwise?

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Yup - was on the route but for some reason google maps changed it when I embedded it
    Aha - google maps doesn't include "drag to change route" when you embed. Fixed

Bike
    Its a Boat

Fuel is not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    About how far between most stops? I only have an ity bity tank on my 250 but wouldn't mind exploring up there a bit.
    We used to do an annual ride to the cape taking 250's with us and never a problem was had with fuel.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Pretty sure there is still a servo at the corner of Old Russel Road and State Highway 1. It has usually been at night when I have gone past though so it has been shut. Haven't been diving up that way in a while though so not sure if it is still there. Haven't taken the bike either but Old Russel road feels like it could be a good bit of fun on two wheels.
    yes. BP at whakapara (just before teh old russel turnoff). if you miss that i think it's about 20km up, detour off old russel road to oakura there's a GAS.
    the road itself. lots of off camber corners and logging trucks and fuckwits doing 70 and few chances to pass and some campers too.

but certainly a beaut bit of countryside.

Any cops about?

I presume just on the looooooong SH1 straight bits up to the cape but nadda else otherwise?
    depends. every now and then they get it in their heads to block off a town. kawakawa usually.

i occasionally see them trolling on some very random roads... but if they bother even turning around, they never catch me

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    as a side note the fishing at helena bay is shit. teal bay is heaps prettier (neither on the main road but both on the: )
    back road back down to tutukaka - mimiwhangata. few gravel bits but it's way pretty. and the mermaid pools are worth a trek.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i occasionally see them trolling on some very random roads... but if they bother even turning around, they never catch me
    I'm on a thou.......

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I'm on a thou.......
    so why are you asking about cops?

...are you a bitch?

Thread Information