Thread: Burgman Riders

Bike
    xp500 yamaha
    Burgy and tmax riders

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Maxi Scooters

Big scooters are rare, at least I see hardly any around Wellington anyway. Are you trying to be an exclusive group for large scooter owners only or would you consider riding along with motorcycles with similar performance to boost numbers?
    Last edited by WristTwister; 3rd January 2016 at 01:46. Reason: (edited because brain tired)

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Big scooters are rare, at least I see hardly any around Wellington anyway. Are you trying to be an exclusive group for large scooter owners only or would you consider riding along with motorcycles with similar performance to boost numbers?
    I seem to see more up in Auckland now. Either that or more muppets hopping across the bridge on their 50cc's. Still wearing shorts and jandals for the journey though...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    I seem to see more up in Auckland now. Either that or more muppets hopping across the bridge on their 50cc's. Still wearing shorts and jandals for the journey though...
    Tell me about it! I stand by my bike strapping my helmet, zipping up and strapping gloves on and in that time I see 3 scooter riders just walk up, slip on their helmets, jump on their scoots and zip off. I don't know how they don't get a chill either, I can feel the cold even through my leather.

Bike
    xp500 yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Tell me about it! I stand by my bike strapping my helmet, zipping up and strapping gloves on and in that time I see 3 scooter riders just walk up, slip on their helmets, jump on their scoots and zip off. I don't know how they don't get a chill either, I can feel the cold even through my leather.
    Yeah we do ride with others but are about promoting big maxis.
    Your bike is naked and that,s why you get cold. One of the reasons big scoots are so good

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Least they wont get speeding tickets.
    According to the reports I've read, anything from the Kawasaki J300 up, including 400/600 Burgmans (Burgmen?), Silver Wings, T500's are all capable of cruising all day at 120kph.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    the majority of scooter riders regard them as convenient 'around town' transport only
    I'd agree that scooters can handle a bit of gravel just fine:

Mind you, I owned the Burgman 400 when I was living in Auckland and it was a really good city commuter. I only had the one bike though and so I used it to go camping and for motorcycle rallies and whatever else, I even rode in one day from Auckland to Christchurch - that was a long day!

But now I've moved and am not commuting around a city so I've sold the Burgman and my camping vehicle is quite a bit better suited to the task:

I can understand using the scooter for the gravel roads if it is the only vehicle you have, but I couldn't imagine choosing the scooter for gravel riding, a DR650 or KL650 would be so much more suited to that sort of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    According to the reports I've read, anything from the Kawasaki J300 up, including 400/600 Burgmans (Burgmen?), Silver Wings, T500's are all capable of cruising all day at 120kph.
    When I had the 400 I regularly traveled at an indicated 120kph for hours at a time, it read high though and 120 indicated was more like 108kph actual. Faster than that would only be inviting a ticket.

I liked the Burgman 400 for being able to handle the 50kph zones easily but also being fine to jump on the motorway and move with the traffic (or when traffic slowed it worked fine lane splitting). It was an incredibly easy vehicle to ride with no gears to worry about you can focus on the traffic.
    Back when I was in Auckland and riding the Burg I went on one ride with the scooter club, but I went on a whole bunch of rides organised through Kiwibiker, I figured that if I could keep up with the bikes then why not? I also took it to several Cold Kiwi Rallies, a Magpie Madness rally and a One Night Stand rally. While not the perfect open road tourer it is certainly capable of getting the job done. To me the big scooters are great commuters and usable for so much more, a lot of bigger bikes are great for other stuff and usable as commuters, for those that are primarily using a bike for commuting then a maxi scooter is a great choice IMO.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Get back to me when they can do that in first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    xp500 yamaha
    That,s correct . i could cruise all day at 140 plus but thats not what its about.
    I do how evever have the power to pass or get out of trouble. 105 -110 is a good speed.
    I average 23km per litre in nanna mode maybe more if i want but no wind and no cold

What one fails to take on board is we carry all the toys and kitchen sink to boot.

When we arrive at a destination we have all things we need for a overnight stay.
    Other guys need to go home

Bike
    xp500 yamaha
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'd agree that scooters can handle a bit of gravel just fine:

Mind you, I owned the Burgman 400 when I was living in Auckland and it was a really good city commuter. I only had the one bike though and so I used it to go camping and for motorcycle rallies and whatever else, I even rode in one day from Auckland to Christchurch - that was a long day!

But now I've moved and am not commuting around a city so I've sold the Burgman and my camping vehicle is quite a bit better suited to the task:

I can understand using the scooter for the gravel roads if it is the only vehicle you have, but I couldn't imagine choosing the scooter for gravel riding, a DR650 or KL650 would be so much more suited to that sort of riding.

When I had the 400 I regularly traveled at an indicated 120kph for hours at a time, it read high though and 120 indicated was more like 108kph actual. Faster than that would only be inviting a ticket.

I liked the Burgman 400 for being able to handle the 50kph zones easily but also being fine to jump on the motorway and move with the traffic (or when traffic slowed it worked fine lane splitting). It was an incredibly easy vehicle to ride with no gears to worry about you can focus on the traffic.
    Back when I was in Auckland and riding the Burg I went on one ride with the scooter club, but I went on a whole bunch of rides organised through Kiwibiker, I figured that if I could keep up with the bikes then why not? I also took it to several Cold Kiwi Rallies, a Magpie Madness rally and a One Night Stand rally. While not the perfect open road tourer it is certainly capable of getting the job done. To me the big scooters are great commuters and usable for so much more, a lot of bigger bikes are great for other stuff and usable as commuters, for those that are primarily using a bike for commuting then a maxi scooter is a great choice IMO.

Awesome. Great to see fellow riders that not only respect great rides but have something positive to say also.When you are done with camping at least you will have somewhere to go ah.
    Cheers great honest reveiw mate

Thread Information