Thread: Very impressed

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Very impressed

..by the absence of crunchy interactions between the large population of electrically-powered and clearly under-powered two-wheel bikeriders, and cagers, here in Shanghai. Lots of beeping and near misses but fortunately they do seem to be able to miss each other. There is a pecking order in effect but when someone low down the mass chain gets him or herself into imminent risk territory, the cars do swerve / divert / stop and honk. Which is much to be preferred to insisting that might of mass equals right of passage. Mind you, I am not sure what the rules of the road are here; from a half-day's observation, I am not sure there are any rules observed! But it seems to work for them. And they are aware of and avoid hitting foreign pedestrians unfamiliar with crossing etiquette. Thanks guys!

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Well this was a fast ride... fastest I have ever been on the ground... bullet train Shanghai to Xuhou...

Comfortable too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faster Than My Bike.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	313210

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    ..by the absence of crunchy interactions between the large population of electrically-powered and clearly under-powered two-wheel bikeriders, and cagers, here in Shanghai. Lots of beeping and near misses but fortunately they do seem to be able to miss each other. There is a pecking order in effect but when someone low down the mass chain gets him or herself into imminent risk territory, the cars do swerve / divert / stop and honk. Which is much to be preferred to insisting that might of mass equals right of passage. Mind you, I am not sure what the rules of the road are here; from a half-day's observation, I am not sure there are any rules observed! But it seems to work for them. And they are aware of and avoid hitting foreign pedestrians unfamiliar with crossing etiquette. Thanks guys!
    If it was anything like what I experience in Thailand and Guangzhou-China, there isn't the attitude problem like we have here (I occasionally find myself in that position)

they get on with it, with the minimum hassle, they interact but not on a personal level.
    Had a driver drive up the off ramp on the may highway, the cars just moved aside (its a big road) no tooting etc. they just moved.
    Got stuck in the middle of nowhere by myself - people still put themselves out even though none of us knew each others lingo.
    But is it a hard life in some of those poorer areas, made me aware of how good we have it. The roads - when they build it they build it big - dunno about the quality.

lots of small bikes in Thailand, didn't notice many in China but did see the after effect of a mbike accident

Thailand they just swarm and toot - quite amazing really, every one fits in or moves about, like watching bees in a hive, all doing there own stuff.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    This is exactly what I experienced. There were no delays or problems that didn't apply to everyone equally, so we all just sucked it up. There is nothing personal, we're all in it together, so… Get On With It.

Very refreshing!

Bike
    Might is right has its place for sure.

Cleared out a whole carriage by removing my 'wet every day for over two months' boots on a bullet train once.
    Boom.
    Fact you didn't need to ever know for the day covered. You're welcome.

Bike
    Several old ones
    This is exactly what my point is in my recent other thread.
    What is up with Kiwis attitude to road rage, I totally agee with the theme of this thread.
    Kiwis need to learn to be more patient and caring. Even if others do things wrong.
    One thing I have learnt is on NZ roads, you can be an overstressed driver, hating everyone else on the road, and by speeding and causing everyone and yourself a heart attack, you actually dont get very much further up the road. Yeah for all that agro, is it worth it.

Stress is not good for your health, period. How much time do you spend on NZ roads, think about it. Smell the roses.

My advice is why should you get stressed over someone elses driving, just report them on *555 and get on with your nice relaxing day.
    DO NOT end up like them. They have the problem NOT YOU.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    This is exactly what my point is in my recent other thread.
    What is up with Kiwis attitude to road rage, I totally agee with the theme of this thread.
    Kiwis need to learn to be more patient and caring. Even if others do things wrong.
    One thing I have learnt is on NZ roads, you can be an overstressed driver, hating everyone else on the road, and by speeding and causing everyone and yourself a heart attack, you actually dont get very much further up the road. Yeah for all that agro, is it worth it.

Stress is not good for your health, period. How much time do you spend on NZ roads, think about it. Smell the roses.

My advice is why should you get stressed over someone elses driving, just report them on *555 and get on with your nice relaxing day.
    DO NOT end up like them. They have the problem NOT YOU.
    dont even 555 em just leave them to their own little lives

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Well this was a fast ride... fastest I have ever been on the ground... bullet train Shanghai to Xuhou...

Comfortable too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faster Than My Bike.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	313210

Yeah, done that too..
    Hardly notice the speed but there isn't any wind in your face either, so with the sound missing and the A/C, it feels like a normal train ride until you look at the speedo...

Thread Information