Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian heading to NZ this Oct. Where are all the BEST roads?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Some good or great roads -

SH2, Picton to Kaikoura (or the inland loop)
    SH2, Gisborne to Napier
    SH5, Taupo to Napier (no petrol anywhere along this one until you're nearly at Napier)
    RT52, Waipukerau to Masterton (again no petrol)
    The Gentle Annie, Taihape to Hastings (no petrol, fantastic road)
    Geraldine to Queenstown
    Picton - Takaka - Nelson, and SH6 south

Loads of great B roads around the place as well. Get maps good enough to show sealed / unsealed roads, a lot of the back country roads are dead ends servicing closed off areas, or turn into multi-hour ordeals on gravel.

Also - large chunks of the country close down for the night after 6pm, petrol stations included. Cities are OK, the bigger towns are OK, but this can be a problem in the areas with the best riding. There's a thread on KB listing 24-hour petrol stations, this thread is there for good reason - if you're off the major state highways, aiming to finish the day's riding around 6pm is probably a good idea.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Some good or great roads -

SH2, Picton to Kaikoura (or the inland loop)
    SH2, Gisborne to Napier
    SH5, Taupo to Napier (no petrol anywhere along this one until you're nearly at Napier)
    RT52, Waipukerau to Masterton (again no petrol)
    The Gentle Annie, Taihape to Hastings (no petrol, fantastic road)
    Geraldine to Queenstown
    Picton - Takaka - Nelson, and SH6 south

Loads of great B roads around the place as well. Get maps good enough to show sealed / unsealed roads, a lot of the back country roads are dead ends servicing closed off areas, or turn into multi-hour ordeals on gravel.

Also - large chunks of the country close down for the night after 6pm, petrol stations included. Cities are OK, the bigger towns are OK, but this can be a problem in the areas with the best riding. There's a thread on KB listing 24-hour petrol stations, this thread is there for good reason - if you're off the major state highways, aiming to finish the day's riding around 6pm is probably a good idea.
    Can you give me more details for the Picton to Kaikoura route? I only see the SH1 through there unless I am being a complete muppet. Not the canadians in question but trying to put together a bunch of routes through out the country for future exploration.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Can you give me more details for the Picton to Kaikoura route? I only see the SH1 through there unless I am being a complete muppet. Not the canadians in question but trying to put together a bunch of routes through out the country for future exploration.
    You're not a muppet - I suspect finger trouble at the keyboard; there's no SH2 in the South Island, as you note, it's SH1.

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by cww1955 View Post
    It'll be in the spring time Oct.23 to Nov. 27. Plan was to buy a m/c once I got there and sell it before flying home. Other than that, I've heard only good thing about NZ and the riding is supposed to be awesome. I'd like to see both the islands and drive as much as I can, but I don't want to go all the way there and then not see "The Best Thing Ever" whatever that may be.

So far I've got Hobbiton on my "must do" list, but what I would really love to is drive every single road in NZ that is at least a 7 out of 10 for motorcycle riding. Not sure who knows, is there a list or a book?

Would be a fun challenge I think!
    I concur that Forgotten World Highway SH43 is a must.

Your not going to get over all the roads! I have lived here most of my life and still havent been over half of them and I get out a lot. The very best roads are off the beaten track.

A road I really like is North of Dargaville through the forrests to Opononi SH12. Also the Tutukaka coast up to Russell.

I have lived ourseas and fuck.. anywhere in NZ is fantastic

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    I concur that Forgotten World Highway SH43 is a must.

Your not going to get over all the roads! I have lived here most of my life and still havent been over half of them and I get out a lot. The very best roads are off the beaten track.

A road I really like is North of Dargaville through the forrests to Opononi SH12. Also the Tutukaka coast up to Russell.

I have lived ourseas and fuck.. anywhere in NZ is fantastic
    Absolutely agree, I lived 'down south' 14yrs, and have done two 'touring trips' back down in the last 2yrs ...
    Forgotten world highway really is a 'must' for the north island.

Down south?
    Certainly the west coast ride, if possible up to Milford sound.. spectacular ride if the weather is kind.
    Te Anau to Invecargill, but on the 'southern scenic route' going via Manapouri, Tuatapere, Riverton... rather than the direct SH route. Queenstown?? Avoid like the plague, it is now nose to tail tourists on the road {march this year}. ride Wanaka to Arrowtown and if possible ride BOTH mountain routes/roads into Q/town {just dont go into it, itself}
    Central Otago is great riding......
    Lumsden to Gore road as an option to Invers.
    The Catlins/Chaslands ride.
    If you decided to go direct Invers to Dunedin? Take the 'back road' from Mataura to Clinton.
    Henry Cole's 'worlds greatest motorcycle rides' NZ is a 'must see'.... Allow the bulk of your riding to be down south, you'll regret it if you dont.

As mentioned above I lived in Europe till age 32, and NZ has 'everything' packed into two small islands.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information