Thread: Old school vs new

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Old school vs new

60+ from a 450 isn't bad, wonder how much it cost them to get there, ..

Looks like the future is chasing the past .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdKaDaYxAs

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    That was a bit boring.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    No it was really fcking boring. And either would be lucky to touch 50hp on real non fantasy dyno.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    No it was really fcking boring. And either would be lucky to touch 50hp on real non fantasy dyno.
    LOL. I posted a link in another thread which claimed a KDX250 SR had 58hp... I watched that vid awhile ago and it certainly exploded the claim.
    Teh internet..... I dunno.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    60+ from a 450 isn't bad, wonder how much it cost them to get there, ..

Looks like the future is chasing the past .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdKaDaYxAs
    its not that hard to get 60 plus out of a 450, head work, cams and a piston will do it, (they are mid to high 50's to start with) for mx they dont go for top end, and its been said the factory bikes are detuned for a boarder more rideable power, just like the factory 500's of the 80's and early 90's

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    its not that hard to get 60 plus out of a 450, head work, cams and a piston will do it, (they are mid to high 50's to start with) for mx they dont go for top end, and its been said the factory bikes are detuned for a boarder more rideable power, just like the factory 500's of the 80's and early 90's
    Wonder how much it cost to get the extra ponies out of the 450 though? It's all subjective from their part and probably driven by commercial drivers that are 'tongue in cheek', MXA are only in business to make money . The KX500 was always sold as a bike with 65hp and the CR500 as 64hp. Semantics.

Both are low compression, big two strokes versus the hi-tech, hi compression 4t's that we have today. More noise, less power.

Much better handing and easier to go fast on as a by-product though.

Only one thing missing is the X-factor ... the 4t's simply don't have it

That's evolution for you I guess.

Bike
    Wonder how much it cost to get the extra ponies out of the 450 though? It's all subjective from their part and probably driven by commercial drivers that are 'tongue in cheek', MXA are only in business to make money . The KX500 was always sold as a bike with 65hp and the CR500 as 64hp. Semantics.

Both are low compression, big two strokes versus the hi-tech, hi compression 4t's that we have today. More noise, less power.

Much better handing and easier to go fast on as a by-product though.

Only one thing missing is the X-factor ... the 4t's simply don't have it

That's evolution for you I guess.
    my guess is it would be cheaper to do those motor mods to the 450, than to buy the triple air forks and put them on the 500,

but man, Collier can ride that 500 good, and i like the fact he races the old frame one, not a conversion, he cleans up all the two stroke races on it,

there was a KX500 on craigs list california a few months back, with a full Tom Morgan motor, Tom did Jeff Wards motors back when he was US 500 champ, so they would be a very nice set up,

the thing that killed the KX500 was not X factor, it was the fact that no one brought them,

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    my guess is it would be cheaper to do those motor mods to the 450, than to buy the triple air forks and put them on the 500,

but man, Collier can ride that 500 good, and i like the fact he races the old frame one, not a conversion, he cleans up all the two stroke races on it,

there was a KX500 on craigs list california a few months back, with a full Tom Morgan motor, Tom did Jeff Wards motors back when he was US 500 champ, so they would be a very nice set up,

the thing that killed the KX500 was not X factor, it was the fact that no one brought them,
    I guess either way wouldn't be cheap, remember the '97 KX5 in the video was originally the purple seat bike with the new 46mm Fork . First change Kawasaki had made to the KX for a while.

Agree, Collier can ride that thing like he's on fire. I noticed that he's on the old frame too. Not sure if the frame was ever a problem rather than the '80s geometry set up for much longer tracks, very stable ( Baja ) but not really a MX bike.

John Dowd can get the best out of them too,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhq_PdZtwuY

Bike
    I guess either way wouldn't be cheap, remember the '97 KX5 in the video was originally the purple seat bike with the new 46mm Fork . First change Kawasaki had made to the KX for a while.

Agree, Collier can ride that thing like he's on fire. I noticed that he's on the old frame too. Not sure if the frame was ever a problem rather than the '80s geometry set up for much longer tracks, very stable ( Baja ) but not really a MX bike.

John Dowd can get the best out of them too,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhq_PdZtwuY
    Dowd still flies, he just got a top 10 in the candadian nationals MX1 second moto today, hes 49, and he beat his son, not to bad for someone that turns 50 next month

it was Colliers old mans bike apprantly , with modern forks and shock, i dont think the geometry holds him back,

Bike
    XJR1300/EC250/SRX600/TLR250/MuZ660/KLX45
    I'm 60+ and ride 2 450's and a 300 and a couple of 250's - not that hard

Thread Information