Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Network Attached Storage recommendations

Bike
    CB1300
    Not exactly enterprise solution but similar to what happens at work... without the enterprise software.

It is also what i have done a few times while waiting on budget or licensing for said enterprise software on new servers.

So back up your entire system with acronis stull but a lovely get out of jail if the last backup was a lot of work ago.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    PS what .Net version are you running?
    4/4.5?
    If so consider attaching a USB drive and running a robocopy script in /mon mode on the folder your work in progress resides in. In the event of a catastrophic failure restore your acronis backup and copy in your current files. Then you only lose unsaved work and maybe work saved less your monitor internal.

Sent via tapatalk.
    version 4
    Gremlin was right transfer speed from Acronius data is 25-35 MB/s, tended to hang in the 32 for a greater part
    Being a consumer product WDMyCloud I didn't expect blazing speed, just plain old mom and pop slow and reliable

Computer hard disk at 100% most of the time, as I was using it as well and keeping an eye on things, hence my earlier comment about computer rather than NAS been a bottleneck
    I would also think a bare build would create a more stable/faster system.
    A bit like building a house if you have the whole concept in mind from the start - all fleshed out the result is often better than tacking bits on as you go.
    After the first build you often figure out what you missed and incorporate it on the next new one.

left it running 7-1/2 hrs finished total

Big Dog I will look into your suggestion and see what happens

just so you know, I am the token IT guy and dogs body/CAD user at work things take time

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    version 4
    Gremlin was right transfer speed from Acronius data is 25-35 MB/s, tended to hang in the 32 for a greater part
    Being a consumer product WDMyCloud I didn't expect blazing speed, just plain old mom and pop slow and reliable

Computer hard disk at 100% most of the time, as I was using it as well and keeping an eye on things, hence my earlier comment about computer rather than NAS been a bottleneck
    I would also think a bare build would create a more stable/faster system.
    A bit like building a house if you have the whole concept in mind from the start - all fleshed out the result is often better than tacking bits on as you go.
    After the first build you often figure out what you missed and incorporate it on the next new one.

left it running 7-1/2 hrs finished total

Big Dog I will look into your suggestion and see what happens

just so you know, I am the token IT guy and dogs body/CAD user at work things take time
    Never used cad myself but I have built a few systems for it.
    They can be cranky. Demanding specific screen res etc. Not to mention requiring Windows.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    They can be cranky. Demanding specific screen res etc. Not to mention requiring Windows.

Sent via tapatalk.
    except the nix breeds of

native resolution dictated by the screen should work.
    if you're serving it to varying spec thin type clients then shit gets heavy.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Windows not through choice but by how initially these personal programs were developed for the masses.

I have seen in my distant past some really good
    HP - electrical schematic
    IBM - mechanical design software

but these were on what was then the top end of computing power......

its a pity Apple didn't go for the CAD market more for the graphics end IMO

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information