Thread: Wanting a GSX650F. Thoughts?

Bike
    2014, Suzuki GW250

Wanting a GSX650F. Thoughts?

Yeah so I've currently got a 2014 GW250 and have had it for just over a year and a half (18000 k later..), and I'm wanting to upgrade. The problem is that I'm still on my restricted and will be for another 12+ months so the bike I'll be getting would have to be LAMS approved. Being 6-2 and approx 100kg I kinda out grew my 250 and so was wanting to move up to a bigger bike preferably a I-4. I've looked around the internet and to either a GSX650F or a FZ6R as top choices. I'm leaning a bit more towards the Suzuki as its been out for longer and so parts should hopefully be cheaper. I primarily do town/city riding as I currently live in Wellington but i do head up to Palmerston North every other weekend to see my family, I'm wanting a bigger bike that I can do longer trips on while being able to carry luggage (wanting to go up east coast and into BOP then cut across to west coast and back to Wellington/Palmy), but still able to take up some of the twistier roads out back of Manawatu. If I could get some peoples thoughts on my choices or even recommend some other bikes that would be awesome.

-I've also recently heard of the GS500, thoughts?

Bike
    bandit
    Buy the GSX650 - you'll love it

Avoid the GS500 .. I've heard bad things about them re reliability
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    None any more
    Apart from the suspension and the brakes (it is a Suzuki), the GSX650F is a hard-to-fault allrounder. Reliable, comfortable, thrifty, agile with no shortage of spare parts either OEM or customised, it's hard to think of anything better. Sharply priced new and with many second-hand bargains around, it's a buyer's market.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

Avoid the GS500 .. I've heard bad things about them re reliability
    Got landed with one as a loner once, it was bollocks.

@ Fergus:
    Can only add to ride both Suzuki and the Yamaha.....and then buy the Yamaha.
    Something else to consider http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-781316533.htm seat height 805 mm.

Another Kawasaki to think about..http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...aki-Versys-650
    What Jim doesn't know about motorbikes, you'll probably have to Google.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by _Fergus_ View Post
    Yeah so I've currently got a 2014 GW250 and have had it for just over a year and a half (18000 k later..), and I'm wanting to upgrade. The problem is that I'm still on my restricted and will be for another 12+ months so the bike I'll be getting would have to be LAMS approved. Being 6-2 and approx 100kg I kinda out grew my 250 and so was wanting to move up to a bigger bike preferably a I-4. I've looked around the internet and to either a GSX650F or a FZ6R as top choices. I'm leaning a bit more towards the Suzuki as its been out for longer and so parts should hopefully be cheaper. I primarily do town/city riding as I currently live in Wellington but i do head up to Palmerston North every other weekend to see my family, I'm wanting a bigger bike that I can do longer trips on while being able to carry luggage (wanting to go up east coast and into BOP then cut across to west coast and back to Wellington/Palmy), but still able to take up some of the twistier roads out back of Manawatu. If I could get some peoples thoughts on my choices or even recommend some other bikes that would be awesome.

-I've also recently heard of the GS500, thoughts?
    I had a GSX650FU (The U is the LAMS approved version - which you will be after) for just under a Year, I commuted on it everyday, and put nearly 20,000 Km on the Clock in 9 months.

Fantastic Bike.

Even better when I de-restricted it (after I got my Full of course )

I rode the FZ6R as well (before I bought) and I much preferred the GSX (Fuel Gauge, Comfier seat, Gear Indicator and I didn't like that the FZ used Throttle stops to restrict it, it messed with my Throttle Muscle Memory)

There is a really good one for sale at HoleShot for a good price:

http://www.holeshotmotorcycles.co.nz...cle_id=2362244
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    I love the hell out of my 650F. I bought it as my first bike and love it. I haven't had many issues with it. The stock tires don't last for long. I've only put just over 6000ks on the front tire and it won't pass the entry cert. hopefully the angel gt will last a hell of a lot longer. I haven't found any major or minor issue with it as far as being tall like yourself. A mild annoyance that doesn't really bother me much is the windscreen could be a tad better for wind deflection, nothing a new screen can't handle. The stock seat is okay. I bought a sargent seat for mine and my ass loves me for it. Getting parts is damn easy as there are several bikes from which to get parts. She is a stable platform even in the wind.

This is mine all cleaned up after a trip half way across the USA and then a boat ride, then evil little inspectors gassing her and violating her.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Apart from the suspension and the brakes (it is a Suzuki), the GSX650F is a hard-to-fault allrounder.
    Braided lines and Wave discs improved the brakes immensely ...

Name:  thumb_frontdisc.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  4.8 KB

From here ... http://www.sweetstreet.co.nz/product.php?pKey=306 very good service
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information