Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gsf1200 k4

Bike
    Trumpet

Gsf1200 k4

I just purchased a GSF1200 2005 K4 Bandit. It has an aftermarket exhaust and a K&N air filter. My mate took her for a spin and said she needs rejetting because of the exhausts and filter mods the previous owner obviously didn’t do it. Does anyone know any good motorcycle mechanics in the Waikato area who are familiar with these bikes and what I could be expected to pay or should I just put the original air filter back on?, everything else is great.
    Cheers

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Does it have an extra hole drilled in the airbox?

K&N means you will need to do some sorting to get it fuelling right. I did mine with that setup and it took some faffing about to get it right. But mine now pulls like a train.

No need to pull the carbs if you are good. I doubt many workshops would know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    See if there is a bandit forum and ask what size jets have been used with the same mod.

If there is room you can drop the jets out and put new ones in with the carbs still on the bike. But it could just be a great excuse to take them out and rebuild them anyway.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    clip down oi.

Doubt your mate got to wot = jet size will probably hold ya.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Just a few hints/suggested reading

http://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/

http://nswbandits.forumotion.net/

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/

in case you ever wonder about the difference
    http://www.visordown.com/forum/motor...50/402910.html

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/47...200-A-few-mods

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57303

and this guy-below seems to have it sorted - check out his site (I suspect Nzspokes has modified his bike to suit along these lines)

http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/

Only thing I would wonder on the earlier models being air cooled you may also want to increase the oil cooler size.
    I don't suppose your worried about fuel economy.

great bikes just hang on, and learn BEFORE hand how to react to rear slides. Don't ask how I know.

I like the std muffler - quiet, sneak up on unsuspecting cagers.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    My gsf1200 arrives today. 2005 model with no mods. All stock.
    Think ill build a bag rack first as I got a 50litre top box.
    Add new back shock after. Cant decide shock type gsxr1000 shock 10mm longer($85.00) , b-king shock at the same length($170.00), 2014 busa shock 10mm longer ($200).

Not sure ill do pipe as its a workhorse.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Trumpet
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Does it have an extra hole drilled in the airbox?

K&N means you will need to do some sorting to get it fuelling right. I did mine with that setup and it took some faffing about to get it right. But mine now pulls like a train.

No need to pull the carbs if you are good. I doubt many workshops would know where to start.
    Yup there was 4 holes drilled in the air box, I took the K&N filter out and replaced with an original one and taped up the holes with fibre masking tape and she ran much better, more responsive, better eccaleration. Running less rich too I would imagine.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Swivel View Post
    Yup there was 4 holes drilled in the air box, I took the K&N filter out and replaced with an original one and taped up the holes with fibre masking tape and she ran much better, more responsive, better eccaleration. Running less rich too I would imagine.
    Other way round, makes it richer. They are very lean out of the factory and if not jetted to suit with a K&N and airbox holes it would hardly run.

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    When mine had just a slip on I got the stage one kit from Dale Walker (Holeshot.com) and it really did sort all the fueling out.
    Part of his stage one is to drill a hole in the airbox as mentioned before but you might find your multiple holes have the same area as the larger one he recommends.

His kit is not just a matter of rejetting but also cutting the slide springs and adding some spacers for the needles which helps with the throttle response.

I did check it with a Oxygen sensor once done and got it running between 12.5-14ish right through the range.

Recommend his stuff, he has done all the background work (you do pay for that) but you know it's proven. I bet if you sent him a pic of your airbox with the holes he will tell you straight away if his kit will work of if it needs to be tweaked a bit.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS-TREBLE View Post
    When mine had just a slip on I got the stage one kit from Dale Walker (Holeshot.com) and it really did sort all the fueling out.
    Part of his stage one is to drill a hole in the airbox as mentioned before but you might find your multiple holes have the same area as the larger one he recommends.

His kit is not just a matter of rejetting but also cutting the slide springs and adding some spacers for the needles which helps with the throttle response.

I did check it with a Oxygen sensor once done and got it running between 12.5-14ish right through the range.

Recommend his stuff, he has done all the background work (you do pay for that) but you know it's proven. I bet if you sent him a pic of your airbox with the holes he will tell you straight away if his kit will work of if it needs to be tweaked a bit.
    Mine has his stage one kit and advancer. But with the K&N I have had to change it abit.

Bike
    2003 Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Mine has his stage one kit and advancer. But with the K&N I have had to change it abit.
    Forgot about the K&N sorry. What did you have to change? Needle position or need a bigger main other than whats supplied?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Just been doing shock on mine and there is several tapped over airbox holes under the hood.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Mains are 122.5, idles are 20s and on the middle clip with 3 shims. 2" hole in the air box. 300ks to the reserve but a smidge lean on the needles.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Springs away too soft both ends. Sag like a bitch cornering and dangerous two up.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Springs away too soft both ends. Sag like a bitch cornering and dangerous two up.
    Just put a gsxr1000 shock in the back of mine and its great back there now. Haven't ridden it a lot but the front doesn't feel to bad but it may have been done perhaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150730_182151.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	314289  

Thread Information