Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID array recovery

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

RAID array recovery

I know this is a bike forum but there seems to be a lot of IT knowledge here.

Who in NZ can recover data from a failed RAID5 array? Got hit with a double whammy of a failed backup AND a lost array configuration. The disks are (afaik) ok, as everything was working fine right up to the point the config was lost in the controller. No recovery attempts have been made. The config was R5 + hot spare - 5 x 300G SAS disks in total. We have older backups but nothing for the week immediately prior.

And yes management agree that spending money on a better backup solution is likely.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    oh fucking chortle.

Throw reiners testdisk at it, for a start. That may allow you to rebuild your config and good-o.

If not, and i assume shit's striped, and pariity is everywhere, you're fuckeroo.

Just googluhd up reclaimefree raid recovery, too.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    oh fucking chortle.

Throw reiners testdisk at it, for a start. That may allow you to rebuild your config and good-o.

If not, and i assume shit's striped, and pariity is everywhere, you're fuckeroo.

Just googluhd up reclaimefree raid recovery, too.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Step 1: Spead Cheeks
    Step 2: Bite Pillow

Really - there aren't much other options - RAID recovery from a reputable company is in the Thousands, plus if you try and do it youself, you run the the risk of further corrupting the data (if it is recoverable)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    None :(
    I assume the failed backup is on a non-raided drive? If so and non encrypted, maybe easier to recover from than the Raid5'd disks?

You sure you're not hit by the crypto virus going around?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Step 1: Spead Cheeks
    Step 2: Bite Pillow

Really - there aren't much other options - RAID recovery from a reputable company is in the Thousands, plus if you try and do it youself, you run the the risk of further corrupting the data (if it is recoverable)
    They are onto a good wicket with that. I got a quote a few years back, something like $3,000 for a 500gb drive

Bike
    08 CBR600RR
    Cameron from Datalabs http://www.datalab.co.nz/ is the man you want to see.

Be prepared to spend 1200+ for RAID recovery tho.

I've only ever had 1 drive he couldn't recover fully and even that he managed to get close to 45% of the content. The drive was completely stuffed. Scratched platter and fallen head.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, I'll contact Datalabs.
    No not Crypto (had a brush with that before, and recovered from, back when the backups were working)

I'll let management decide of the cost of recovery is more or less than the cost of loosing a weeks work.

Stuff that I have got back so far shows me that, among other things, people keep a lot of unimportant, out of data shit in their user folders.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Stuff that I have got back so far shows me that, among other things, people keep a lot of unimportant, out of data shit in their user folders.
    Welcome to the world of IT....

Bike
    Kate
    Thanks all, I'll contact Datalabs.
    In the physical world it is called hording, but there is no cost to keeping stuff in IT, right?
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    I know this is a bike forum but there seems to be a lot of IT knowledge here.

Who in NZ can recover data from a failed RAID5 array? Got hit with a double whammy of a failed backup AND a lost array configuration. The disks are (afaik) ok, as everything was working fine right up to the point the config was lost in the controller. No recovery attempts have been made. The config was R5 + hot spare - 5 x 300G SAS disks in total. We have older backups but nothing for the week immediately prior.

And yes management agree that spending money on a better backup solution is likely.
    If you have only lost the array configuration, and the drives themselves are fine then you may be able to tell the controller to re-read the configuration off the drives. Many controllers support this so that you can transport drives sets between servers with the same controller.

Does the controller still show that there is a RAID set, or does it show nothing at all?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Welcome to the world of IT....
    I keep telling a client (on hour rate) to tidy up their data. I mention that it would be way too expensive to pay me to do it, but they should tidy up, they'd save big, retention of backups as well etc etc.

Otherwise... yeah, I can keep buying more hardware to store it but it's like building more highways for cars....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I keep telling a client (on hour rate) to tidy up their data. I mention that it would be way too expensive to pay me to do it, but they should tidy up, they'd save big, retention of backups as well etc etc.

Otherwise... yeah, I can keep buying more hardware to store it but it's like building more highways for cars....
    I remember a NAS implementation and migration - over half of the Data that was stored on the old Server wasn't work related (used a tool to find all the MP3, Iphone Backups, Video files etc.) The Customer was understandably a little annoyed at their users when they realized what was going on.

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    We are currently rolling out ScarePoint and the shit we are finding on clean-up prior to migration is un-fucking believable. Backing that up...what a fucking waste of money
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    We are currently rolling out ScarePoint and the shit we are finding on clean-up prior to migration is un-fucking believable. Backing that up...what a fucking waste of money
    Aaaahhhh SharePoint migrations - hours upon hours of my life that I will never get back

Thread Information