Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Continental tyres please

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Ouch! If you're shredding a PR2 set in 8k then it might be the riding style that's causing it...
    Judging by this comment ... I concur ...

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I wear fronts out before rears on it. But the rear will be gone in a thousand ks, sides worn out but ok in the middle.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A different view to some here, but based on the tyre tests I've seen, Continental tyres are not quite ranked with those of the top makers. It's a while since I've seen a test though and the market does change fairly quickly as new tyre models are introduced. And as someone else said those tests were on British tracks not our roads.
    It would be difficult to organise a fully comprehensive test in this country, so I gess we are stuck with "foreign" tests - when we can get one.

One of the first rules of tyres is that you have to have faith in the tyres you use. If you are happy with Continental go for it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    One of the first rules of tyres is that you have to have faith in the tyres you use. If you are happy with Continental go for it.
    Faith in your tyres is one thing ... but if it's not combined with a knowledge of those tyres abilities (or lack of) ... it may go bad when you really don't want it too ..

For those bikers on a budget ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...FRVwvAodZRoK5w
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Ok, in all fairness, in Europe the Contis are seen as a second tier type of tyre behind the other German brand Metzeler.

Now I've ridden on them, but I'm not a fan personally. Tyres are a personal choice, like women...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Faith in your tyres is one thing ... but if it's not combined with a knowledge of those tyres abilities (or lack of) ... it may go bad when you really don't want it too ..

For those bikers on a budget ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...FRVwvAodZRoK5w
    120/180 combo in shinko is $415 and conti motions is $299
    I haven't done big millage yet on the motion that was on the front of the bandit but I took it up the tight roads near my place in the cold after replacing the shock. I gave it some effort to see what the shock was doing. The front end felt good even unloaded on the throttle. Ill let you know what the Cold Kiwi ride loaded with gear on a 50% tread goes like.
    Im very tempted to buy a set and put them away for when I get back.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-929716091.htm
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    120/180 combo in shinko is $415 and conti motions is $299
    I haven't done big millage yet on the motion that was on the front of the bandit but I took it up the tight roads near my place in the cold after replacing the shock. I gave it some effort to see what the shock was doing. The front end felt good even unloaded on the throttle. Ill let you know what the Cold Kiwi ride loaded with gear on a 50% tread goes like.
    Im very tempted to buy a set and put them away for when I get back.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-929716091.htm
    ive read a lot of reviews on them, seem to be perfect for a commuter bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Trumpet
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    German tyres on a Japanese bike? Don't mention zee war...

Continental has been around for yonks, opinions are divided of course, so unless you're just buying on low price it won't matter much what anyone on here proffers as opinion.

You'll also find Michelin Pilot Road 2/3/4 are a good match for your bike, as well as Metzeler Z8.
    Or German tyres on an Italian bike

Bike
    bandit
    I my k4 Bandit likes to eat tyres.
    Yeah ... my 650 bandit east tyres too - especially Conti Road attacks .. (Yeah, I know, If I was a bit more gentle on the throttle I might make them last longer .. but fuck they are fun ...) I used to get 3,000ks on a rear Attack .. 5,000 on PRs and Pirrelli Diablos ..

But I love the Contis - they suit the bike and me very well .. best tyres I've ever had on the 650 ... I won't run anything else on the 650 (run PR4s on the big one) ...

I did have Attacks on the big one, but the bike turned in much fasdter than I was used to .. a Motion on the back cured that .. but it lost grip under braking too often for my taste - so I went back to PRs ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Yeah ... my 650 bandit east tyres too - especially Conti Road attacks .. (Yeah, I know, If I was a bit more gentle on the throttle I might make them last longer .. but fuck they are fun ...) I used to get 3,000ks on a rear Attack .. 5,000 on PRs and Pirrelli Diablos ..

But I love the Contis - they suit the bike and me very well .. best tyres I've ever had on the 650 ... I won't run anything else on the 650 (run PR4s on the big one) ...

I did have Attacks on the big one, but the bike turned in much fasdter than I was used to .. a Motion on the back cured that .. but it lost grip under braking too often for my taste - so I went back to PRs ...
    650 Bandit eats tyres? Has it got a turbo?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Tried the Conti Road Attack, Road Attack 2 and Conti Sport Attack. All very good tyres (for me).

R Attack 2 stuck like glue - interesting wear at the end of the tyres though and I've read similar - rear center suddenly wore quicker, front sides were had it but center looked good.

I'd run them again.

Lots of really good tyres out there now and sometimes the best deal is indeed the best deal. If you are spooning your own on contact Avon City Suzuki in Christchurch as they had a pile of T30's there last weekend for a good price. $379 cash and carry!

I have a set on my Hornet - impressive so far - wearing well too.

http://www.avoncitysuzuki.co.nz/Brea...ws/?article=71

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Tried the Conti Road Attack, Road Attack 2 and Conti Sport Attack. All very good tyres (for me).

Lots of really good tyres out there now and sometimes the best deal is indeed the best deal. If you are spooning your own on contact Avon City Suzuki in Christchurch as they had a pile of T30's there last weekend for a good price. $379 cash and carry!
    Sounds like great price but I see 120 install.
    That must be a wheel on price. I cant remember when I last did that. Ill likely need do it with the MV though as the rear needs an air tool if you want factory spec torque levels.

Ill get my bead breaker out for the bandit though.

Thanks Harcourts sign post.

Reminds me. Anyone want a set of tires pick up only to suit k100. 130/70/17inch rear and 100/90/18 front. Both good tread and FREE to a good home. PICK UP WELLY ONLY.

AND they are Continental tyres
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0556.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	582.1 KB 
ID:	314615  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Judging by this comment ... I concur ...
    Well i fitted the tyre with powder as i normally do. And didnt get round to cleaning it properly after. I happened to look at the tyre at work and it turns out somewhere on the way in i get some lean angle.

Also found today PR2s can take a hit. Driver today decided to pull onto a roundabout, while i was stopped in front of them.

Bandit 1, piece of crap cars bumper nil.

Bike
    Trumpet
    So would it be fair to say that Conties are better then the Shinko?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Ultimately, while we can all recommend our favourites (mine is Michelin Pilot Roads - used 1, 2, 3 and 4) our views are extremely subjective.

Two riders, same model bike, same model tyres. Another rider loved the tyres, I hated them. That's how easily we can all differ.

I'ved used a lot of different tyres on the BMW, several brands, and it took up to 10 different sets before I started picking my favourites...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    bandit
    650 Bandit eats tyres? Has it got a turbo?
    Naa .. rode 55ks to work on a twisty back country road with big chips and other shit - took me 28 minutes gate to gate ... then 55 ks home ... hardly ever had the bike upright on the trip, either full throttle or brakes all the way ... (well, winding on the power out of the corners ...)

I ghet better mileage now - I live 1.5ks from SH2 .. so my speed has reduced drasticaly ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information