Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel strips on bridges?

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Think about the physics involved, those little steel strips can't do any harm under normal conditions. Even if you lose traction on them while leaning, worst case is the bike skips out a little. As soon as you're back on blacktop (which is basically immediately) you're good again. It's worth while getting used to the feeling of the bike moving under you - it's not going to do any harm.
    Wish they were little steel strips they are actually about 2 feet across so make some hard work. Seems to be more cars than bikes that lose it though as bikers tend to be a bit more in touch with the road...

Thanks for the advice people.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Theres a round-a-bout in Blenheim with rail tracks right though the centre.....
    can get real interesting in the wet...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    The road/rail bridge just north of Greymouth. All bets are off crossing that when it is wet....
    That one has got a few bikers (never got me though) ... there WAS another nasty one just north of Hokitika ... but was it replaced with a new two lane road traffic only bridge.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little Gixxer View Post
    Wish they were little steel strips they are actually about 2 feet across so make some hard work. Seems to be more cars than bikes that lose it though as bikers tend to be a bit more in touch with the road...

Thanks for the advice people.
    I ride along the bridge all the time, none of the expansion joints are anywhere near two feet.

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Ill stop and measure them if you want but they are the ones on the overpass before the main bridge that goes over the water. The large steel strips that have the big signs about slippery when wet installed because of them.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I ride along the bridge all the time, none of the expansion joints are anywhere near two feet.
    They might have expanded
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Do you stand on only one leg to measure them then???

Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    A
    If you're well endowed you don't need to exaggerate other measurements in life huh?

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries
    Can I make a suggestion.

if the bridge expansion joints, or any other road fault is on the state highway network call NZTA on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS and get them to log a job. That will be sent to one of the transport operations centres who will call out a contractor or capture the fault for minor improvements. You can also tweet or face book them.

If they are on a local road call the Council and log your concern.

These can be treated. One example is SH1 on the flyover above the Ferry terminal.

Railway lines, well that's just about riding safely.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post
    Can I make a suggestion.

if the bridge expansion joints, or any other road fault is on the state highway network call NZTA on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS and get them to log a job. That will be sent to one of the transport operations centres who will call out a contractor or capture the fault for minor improvements. You can also tweet or face book them.

If they are on a local road call the Council and log your concern.

These can be treated. One example is SH1 on the flyover above the Ferry terminal.

Railway lines, well that's just about riding safely.
    What are they going to do? They arent broken or faulty.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I remember those strips from when I lived in TGA, nasty buggers.

I tried to cross them more at right angles which meant that I had to be riding on the outside of the lane, slow and turn tighter across to the inside of the lane so I'd cross them at more of a right angle, then straighten up so I crossed them upright. Then I'd have to ease out to the outside of the lane for the next one. Gave a rather dubious passage across the bridge, "But Officer, I'm not drunk, I'm just crossing the expansion strips."

They might not drop you when they're wet but they do give you an uneasy feeling as the tyres skitter.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    There used to be a similar steel plate on L1 of the Auckland harbour bridge.
    My advice is to relax. the more tense you are the worse the effects of hitting the joint will be
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Hell you wont like trying to get on and off the interislander after a wet crossing....
    Seat on the GSXR still has clench marks from when my throttle hand slipped and I went full lock sideways splitting past a dozen cars getting off the boat....

BTW that napier roundabout if by Gull, plate has gone, roadworks finished. Saw a few bikes crossing it in rain one day not pretty....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    This is Te A's contribution to 'wee moments'. On the left hand corner by the Z stn, heading south. Ok if you are expecting it, (most local riders know of it) but still can be a bit dicey in the winter.

" Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Thread Information