Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel strips on bridges?

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750

Steel strips on bridges?

So I cross the Tauranga bridge everyday about 245am and the steel strips are quite slippery. Has anyone experienced this or do you have some advice about efficient riding across such bridges.

Currently I slow down, get as upright as possible and keep steady on the throttle. This works but wondering if their is a better way.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little Gixxer View Post
    So I cross the Tauranga bridge everyday about 245am and the steel strips are quite slippery. Has anyone experienced this or do you have some advice about efficient riding across such bridges.

Currently I slow down, get as upright as possible and keep steady on the throttle. This works but wondering if their is a better way.
    Nah, your onto it. Keep the bike straight up. We have a railway track running through town which has to be crossed on an angle. Quite a few bikes have gone down in the wet. Slick as an eel. The council have put up a wee sign as you enter town advising caution. Big of them.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    There's a round-a-bout in Napier with a massive steel plate in the road that needs avoiding.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the ones on that bridge are mongrels, with the way the bridge curves. I was heading to the mount, from Tau side, and needed to get out of my lane before it ended. Unfortunately a Big Rig had just gone past with diesel slopping out of his tank, running along the steel. Got across without any dramas but was a little sphincter clenchy for a moment.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    About all you can do, but also if you must lean a little to turn don't lean with the bike like you normally would, still keep your body upright, and keeping speed can help too.

Railway tracks at an angle as mentioned (where having a bit of speed helps) and crossing over wet plastic piping is always also loads of fun

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Having said all that, don't let 'em rattle you.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Think about the physics involved, those little steel strips can't do any harm under normal conditions. Even if you lose traction on them while leaning, worst case is the bike skips out a little. As soon as you're back on blacktop (which is basically immediately) you're good again. It's worth while getting used to the feeling of the bike moving under you - it's not going to do any harm.

Bike
    a red heap
    So I cross the Tauranga bridge everyday about 245am ....
    WTF? is that a real time?

.... do you have some advice about efficient riding across such bridges.

forget about the ones on the straight bits they do nothing, its the foot wide ones on the curves you should be cautious of, especially in the wet.

Don't slow down, just make sure you are going straight over them (i.e. not leant over on the side on the tyre), especially the one right in the middle of the corner heading to the mount.

being in the outside lane makes it abit easier to straighten them out.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Get some magnetic tyres.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    So I cross the Tauranga bridge everyday about 245kmh and the steel strips are quite slippery. Has anyone experienced this or do you have some advice about efficient riding across such bridges.

Edited for excitement!

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    there is a set of railway crossing just south of Waiouru on a corner in a open road area, try that one on in the middle of winter.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    - it's not going to do any harm.
    Tell that to the bloke who went down on his VFR 1200. Poor bugger must have been gutted.

But, yeah, nah. I straighten the bike up and cross the tracks steady. Always have a wee twitch if it's wet but as you say nothing more. The same tracks cross the road at the edge of a 90o corner as you head to Paihia, again no dramas if your not leaning. But. I can't resist getting the van sideways if it's raining and nobody is looking. Puts me in a good mood for work.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    S1000RR

When in doubt, throttle out.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    The road/rail bridge just north of Greymouth. All bets are off crossing that when it is wet....

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    245am
    Yeah, I'm often riding to work at that time. At least the roads are quiet, but it can be a bit cold on the frosty mornings.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information