Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you solve this problem? HORNET

Bike
    1991, Yamaha SRX400

Thumbs down Can you solve this problem? HORNET

Hi all,

I am reaching out for help... I've been riding a 1996 250 Honda Hornet since last year and I love it.

Recently saw a 2001 come up cheap on TME, bought it on impulse for $2500 even though it wasn't running great thought it might just be stale fuel. ANYWAY>>>

Full service from Motorcycle Doctors, still running like poo...cue carb overhaul...still no improvement...cue sticking a rag in the air intake...OOOHH some improvement...

Basically it bogs down if you use heavy throttle, is worse when engine is under load. Restricting air intake by about 15% seems to improve the top end it but definitely not achieving the peak power band they are famous for.

Struggling to sell it...even for what I paid for it as I'm not prepared to rip off some poor noob.

Any ideas what it could be? Considering replacing ECU but don't want to go down that path to find it was something else. I'm at a loss, my mechanic is really clever he thinks I should sell it but I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, it's stressing me out!

Cheers for your time and advice...Kieran

Bike
    CB1300
    Does opening your fuel cap help?

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    Sounds to me like you're running too lean. Check the things that control your fuel flow rate. Including your tank vent.

May also pay to drain your tank from the pipe to the carb into a clear or nearly clear bottle and look for water or sediment.

No good? I'd be asking why it is still not running right after a service... unless you kept this issue a secret from the mechanic he should probably have either fixed it or told you how much w fix would be.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    First. Take it for a ride then as you get back run it in the rev range that is the worst. Pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch. Push the bike into your drive. Don't start it. Pull a plug out and post a photo on here.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1991, Yamaha SRX400
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Sounds to me like you're running too lean. Check the things that control your fuel flow rate. Including your tank vent.
    Have tried running with tank cap open to aid vacuum, no luck - also mechanic adjusted floats to run richer when he had it apart and it didn't make a difference.

Will try the suggestion regarding spark plug, it bogs down at like 0 RPM if i apply full throttle so I should be able to do this in my drive way

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Have you checked that the carb jets are factory sizes?

Bike
    Its a Boat

Thumbs up Problem Solved

Don't waste/spend any more money on it, trade it on something that'll have a warranty.

Nice little Hyosung --> http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-911564250.htm

I'd be all over something like this if I were in your position --> http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-786858064.htm

Bike
    motocompo
    Does it have no air filter, or possibly an aftermarket air filter, such as a K&N.
    These bikes rely on having a restriction to run properly.
    Simply fitting a free flowing air filter with no other mods will fuck them up completely in the way you describe.

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    I have lost count how may times I have been presented with either these or cbr250's that run just like yours, what you have described is usually bought on by low compression. Do a compression test dead cold and then get it hot and repeat. You should have at least 150 psi cold and over 170 hot. if it is only a couple of cylinders that have low compression it may be worth checking the valve clearance as it might have tight valves as they never get done as most learners baulk at the cost of setting the valves. If they are all low it still may be valve clearance but in my experience they are usually just stuffed. The reason the rag trick works is if you can be bothered you can get them running "ok" if you jet them spot on BUT!!! when the weather warms up come spring you will have to go through the whole process again. When they have low compression they get really picky about carb set up, you just about have to adjust them every time the weather changes. The reason for doing a cold then hot compression test is if the valve clearance is tight you may have good compression cold and if it falls off when hot or one cylinder drops more than the others this points to valve issues. If it needs a rebuild good luck it's a full engine tear down as the bores are part of the top crankcase.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    I have lost count how may times I have been presented with either these or cbr250's that run just like yours, what you have described is usually bought on by low compression. Do a compression test dead cold and then get it hot and repeat. You should have at least 150 psi cold and over 170 hot. if it is only a couple of cylinders that have low compression it may be worth checking the valve clearance as it might have tight valves as they never get done as most learners baulk at the cost of setting the valves. If they are all low it still may be valve clearance but in my experience they are usually just stuffed. The reason the rag trick works is if you can be bothered you can get them running "ok" if you jet them spot on BUT!!! when the weather warms up come spring you will have to go through the whole process again. When they have low compression they get really picky about carb set up, you just about have to adjust them every time the weather changes. The reason for doing a cold then hot compression test is if the valve clearance is tight you may have good compression cold and if it falls off when hot or one cylinder drops more than the others this points to valve issues. If it needs a rebuild good luck it's a full engine tear down as the bores are part of the top crankcase.
    Well I would trust mister Spinners advice over mine. Get a compression tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well I would trust mister Spinners advice over mine. Get a compression tester.
    Ditto. He certainly put me right when I had worn out emulsion tubes in my carbs.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    motocompo
    Give my advice a cursory check, but spinner is a bike mechanic, im a car mechanic, so yeah, hes probably seen a lot more of them than me.

Bike
    1991, Yamaha SRX400
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Does it have no air filter, or possibly an aftermarket air filter, such as a K&N.
    These bikes rely on having a restriction to run properly.
    Simply fitting a free flowing air filter with no other mods will fuck them up completely in the way you describe.
    Interesting perspective ... certainly sounds like the issue it could be having. Not sure what air filter it has, whatever it came with. I checked it, looked clean enough so I put it back. Where can I get a suitable air filter to try?? Please? Best lead I've had...

Bike
    1991, Yamaha SRX400
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    Spinner...thanks! My friend just suggested last night to check compression so this will be next stage along with air filter change Sidecar Bob suggested. You are right the valve clearances haven't been checked under my ownership or the previous owner to my knowledge. Here's hoping it's just a couple of the cylinders that are low and re-adjusting will fix it . Do you have a shop/business or just a hobby? Sounds like I need you to be my mechanic LOL.

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by kmor110 View Post
    Spinner...thanks! My friend just suggested last night to check compression so this will be next stage along with air filter change Sidecar Bob suggested. You are right the valve clearances haven't been checked under my ownership or the previous owner to my knowledge. Here's hoping it's just a couple of the cylinders that are low and re-adjusting will fix it . Do you have a shop/business or just a hobby? Sounds like I need you to be my mechanic LOL.
    Sorry not in the bike industry any more, did my 18 years and got out. Now sell car parts for a living as a see more future in the car industry. Even the bikes gone, there's nothing like working in the industry to kill any enthusiasm you ever had for bikes.

Thread Information