Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 rules are a changing

Bike
    Meads speed 650R, Kawasaki S2a

F3 rules are a changing

So I had heard about this "proposed" F3 change a while back.......

http://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-so...1.pdf?sfvrsn=2

So for the lazys, the OEM airbox rule for 650s is gone completely......now no different to the 450 bikes, open airbox, carb/throttle bodie, filter or no filter, ram air.......

As a 650 owner I personally think its not needed/wont help the class grow

A real 650, aka a worked ER650, had the same HP as the top 450s.....which was about 90rwhp. SVs never did, I couldn't find one that did/would with these new mods allowed........ now unless you have a 125GP bike with a 450 or 550 in it you'll need 100RWHP as thats what the ERs will soon make. Now all our motors need to be even higher strung......well done that rule creating man......
    Chappy

Come see what the fuss is about....................http://www.californiasuperbikeschool.co.nz/

Bike
    Vespa 550
    actually it makes a bit of sense for sub 650 motors (i.e. sxv builds , or for frame conversions. The airbox issue can also be a major stopping point to frame conversions with twins.

I know the nice new airbox i have on my 550 is a massive improvement (the air intake on the stock SXV is sub 2 square inches, modern 600 is almost 16!!!!) and its only fair as guys are running 450's with all the bells and whistles and easily up there in the speed stakes. just makes the whole policing off the class easier too, not that theres ever been much of that......

f3 hasn't been about out and out HP for a while, there's just not the numbers or the money to worry about people building massive power grenades.

For anything race related from arai helmets, to sprockets and chains, XT Lap timers, HRC parts you name it, Kev can get it www.racesupplies.co.nz

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Always been the best class cos it's got the fewest rules. Less is more
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinflyz View Post
    ........ people building massive power grenades.
    But that is how Chappy does it

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_cb125t View Post
    So I had heard about this "proposed" F3 change a while back.......

http://www.mnz.co.nz/docs/default-so...1.pdf?sfvrsn=2

So for the lazys, the OEM airbox rule for 650s is gone completely......now no different to the 450 bikes, open airbox, carb/throttle bodie, filter or no filter, ram air.......

As a 650 owner I personally think its not needed/wont help the class grow

A real 650, aka a worked ER650, had the same HP as the top 450s.....which was about 90rwhp. SVs never did, I couldn't find one that did/would with these new mods allowed........ now unless you have a 125GP bike with a 450 or 550 in it you'll need 100RWHP as thats what the ERs will soon make. Now all our motors need to be even higher strung......well done that rule creating man......

Thanks for the rules Link. Great to read the meds my Doctor has me on are A ok for sport usage
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_cb125t View Post
    now unless you have a 125GP bike with a 450 or 550 in it you'll need 100RWHP as thats what the ERs will soon make. Now all our motors need to be even higher strung......well done that rule creating man......
    Don't worry you can still build a 2 stroke.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    Don't worry you can still build a 2 stroke.

er650 bikes in the UK, are already at 95-100 RWHP
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    What do they weigh?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The standard air box rule was a cunt for people mounting a 650 in a decent frame. It's not about adding power, it's so the thing fits. Makes sense.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The standard air box rule was a cunt for people mounting a 650 in a decent frame. It's not about adding power, it's so the thing fits. Makes sense.

I always thought that was a silly rule. Especially in an F class like this.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    What do they weigh?

Have not asked mate
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    To a certain extent that's right - but demonstrably it is possible to use the std airbox in a custom frame, look at Mr Williams Griffiths built SV...

What it did do as was act as a way to keep the 400/450 fours competitive for a bit longer..Obsoleting the bikes the formula was designed around is never a good thing. Ask me, I've got a 500 Kawa in the barn which is now only any use for pre 89 F3...And it has to run on petrol instead of the mix it ran on originally.
    Ironically, the bits are coming together for a serious 450 for a customer...The first one I've done for years.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    To a certain extent that's right - but demonstrably it is possible to use the std airbox in a custom frame, look at Mr Williams Griffiths built SV...

What it did do as was act as a way to keep the 400/450 fours competitive for a bit longer..Obsoleting the bikes the formula was designed around is never a good thing. Ask me, I've got a 500 Kawa in the barn which is now only any use for pre 89 F3...And it has to run on petrol instead of the mix it ran on originally.
    Ironically, the bits are coming together for a serious 450 for a customer...The first one I've done for years.

A Ram Airbox on a SV only gives aroung 4hp top end
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

I'm not sure Glen's F3 bike in that frame should be used as an example. I've never actually asked him about it, but he did go back to the SV frame in the end.

Very few people build a frame from scratch too. Bottom line, there are unlimited supply of very decent frames available without half the struggle...made by manufacturers who've already made and rectified loads of simple mistakes.

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    What sort of money do they sink into one of those to get that sort of power?

Thread Information