Thread: Should I import my 1998 RMX250?

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250

Should I import my 1998 RMX250?

hey there looking at importing my 1998 RMX250 from australia to new zealand when i return at the end of the year, depending on how much it costs. im bringing a bunch of other shit with me so im thinking maybe i can chuck it in with it. would i be able to road register this? it is ADR compliant and registerable in NZ when new. Although i havent had it registered in Australia, and it doesnt have lights and does have a pro circuit exhaust. Maybe im better selling it here and buying one in NZ. All depends on how much itl cost to ship it i guess. i enjoy the 2stroke and being a 250 i could ride it on my learners in NZ. Any info greatly appreciated.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Getting quite old...
    therefor not worth that much.
    but also not many around for sale.
    so it depends how much that bike is worth to you....
    transport only one part of cost.....
    Needs lights and exhaust etc just for starters.
    plenty of info on this forum about importing bikes and what to do for how much....
    personally I would by a lams bike in nz.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    a red heap
    throwing it in a container with the rest of your shit is still going to be cheaper than buying another one here.

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    i was looking into it last night, and saw on the VTNZ website that a vehicle must pass emmissions, and the equivalent aussie version ADR79 wasnt brought in till 2000 so being a 1998 it wouldnt comply? unless its over 20 years old. I was thinking maybe i could get any relevant paperwork - shouldnt cost too much, put it in the container, and at some point in the future maybe look into getting it registered.

Bike
    2014 Uuki gw250 with yoshi exhaust :)
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindrewski View Post
    i was looking into it last night, and saw on the VTNZ website that a vehicle must pass emmissions, and the equivalent aussie version ADR79 wasnt brought in till 2000 so being a 1998 it wouldnt comply? unless its over 20 years old. I was thinking maybe i could get any relevant paperwork - shouldnt cost too much, put it in the container, and at some point in the future maybe look into getting it registered.
    Even if it douesnt comply its better having a dirt bike that you can bash in woodhill than none!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    It needs to be NZTA inspected, have a statement of compliance from the manufacturer and maybe a compliance plate fitted. Then it needs to pass inspection to get vin'd and registered.

I imported a CRM 250r awhile ago, fully MOT'd and registered in the UK but no compliance plate attached so no statement of compliance at this stage. PITA but I will persevere. Quite a rare bike nowadays and great fun. Be hilarious on the road.

They will check your bike for spiders and fruit.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    il got troll through some forums and see what i can find out. originally i was quoted over 2 grand to send just the bike. waiting to hear back from allied pickfords about a shared container. apparently a 20ft container is aroud 5grand mark. i guess worst case scenarioo id have a bush basher. being able to register it would be nice tho. gotta make sure i have the paperwork in order i got caught out when i came over to australia with my cars although i am coming home hopefully for good now. i guess its lucky i didnt bring them and put them in storage but thats a whole nother story.

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    hmm so its a bit trickier because i bought the bike unregistered and after a quick chat to vtnz i was told i need it to be registered in my name in order to comply it in nz. Apparently i can send away a declaration so the bike can be registered in my name/ proof of ownership type thing im unsure if this would be satisfy VTNZ though. its setup differently in WA to NZ, but its free so theres that....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    It is a bureaucratic quagmire. Registration and compliance are separate. I do believe a KB'er has a registered RMX. ten bike kid? So at least one is on the books for our fraudulent rego fees. A possible comparison?

I have seen a registered CRM on trade me but have yet to find out if they were officially imported. Me head is spinning with all the different requirements.

If I stop drinking and pick up the phone I might make more headway.

Best of luck.

Remember. No fruit!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    well it seems over in western australia registration is sort of considered ownership. so to transfer the bike into my name first il need to get it road legal and then a signed form (statuatory declaration) can be presented and the bike is then registered in my name.since im not gonna have time to do this it looks like itl be a woodhill basher, provided shipping isnt too expensive. bit disappointed, but i guess thats how i goes. didnt really need it to be registered here because i could ride out my gate and intop the bush which went on pretty much forever. after a ride today before nightshift i kinda wanna keep it. no fruit tho aye. il have to keep that in mind i reckon..

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    just found out from a workmate that it is possible to go down the local department of transport and get whats called a statuatory declaration to say i am the legal owner of said bike- providing theres no finance owing or it hasnt been reported stolen. since is letterheaded/ legal document from west australia department of transport id imagine its good enough proof of ownership for LTSA so theres still possibility of getting it road legal? could work out well...

Bike
    1998 suzuki rmx250
    update. got a 98 rmx250 (same model as my oz bike) roller- no engine gearbox or chain off trademe for $500. so now i can bring just those parts- or more if i want- from my ozzy bike which will easily fit into a standard size allied pickford style cardboard carton- seems easier to send things this way. as opposed to stuffing around and making a crate + all the paperwork/ customs fees etc that a complete bike would bring. pretty sure it would be registerable but havent got that far yet. so yip should be up at woodhill next year futures looking bright.

Thread Information