Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to a tourer

Bike
    Many,all
    the Sprint is the only one I have not ridden.........yet.

NO Bandits!!!!!!!!!!

I do like the FJR.............a lot

Bike
    Many,all
    Quote Originally Posted by liljegren View Post
    Had an ST4s, good bike till it wouldnt start. Went to th VFR, had many happy miles two-up, solo, even a track day. Mossy is onto it!
    very sexy bike, but not overly comfortable I thought.

Bike
    A
    Hayabusa is all you need.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I took both those bike types and a YZF1000 for a test ride in 2006, once I rode the Sprint (an 02') the choice was real easy.

PS: DMNTD looks happy drinking a wine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DisplayImage.aspx.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	315131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VFR 800.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	315132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture159.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	315133  

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Hayabusa is all you need.
    +1 to that.

Bike
    Many,all
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Have ridden an st4, very nice bike. I have a st2 which happily takes me and Mrs everywhere we want to go, factory luggage is excellent, servicing costs more than a jap bike. Rides great 2up and good fun taking it for a hoon by myself, can't see me buying anything to replace it any time soon
    thank you....

Bike
    Many,all
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I took both those bike types and a YZF1000 for a test ride in 2006, once I rode the Sprint (an 02') the choice was real easy.

PS: DMNTD looks happy drinking a wine
    hhhhhhhhhmm I have a few mates that are Triumph nuts, I guess I should take a Sprint for a toodle..

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamfreerider View Post
    thank you....
    You're welcome, I wasn't shopping for a Ducati when I bought mine, just a decent sports tourer that me and Mrs both liked being on. Now that I own it, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamfreerider View Post
    hhhhhhhhhmm I have a few mates that are Triumph nuts, I guess I should take a Sprint for a toodle..
    Seriously considered this when I was shopping, similar ergonomics and the triples are rather lovely, just couldn't do the price at the time. You probably should try one.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    XR200
    It's a Ducati thing. If owning a Ducati is special for you, then you won't be disappointed with an ST4S. It is a total motorcycling experience - sports oriented but good for touring.

I had an ST4 (sob) and I loved it to death. Well...almost both of us.

The ST4S has the 996 motor and better suspension etc.

If you simply want a touring bike then the suggestions above are solid. If you want a special (modern) bike that stands out from the rest, buy the Ducati.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I had an ST4s in Senna Grey. It was sold as a 2004 but in reality was a 2003. The 2004 has the better headlight.
    Certainly a nice bike, was going to do the belts and check the valves myself ( I had a 900ssie) but after the mission of taking the fairing off dropped it in to Toby in in Henderson who changed the belts and checked the valves.
    Never did any touring on mine, sold it and went back to an air cooled 900 Superlight.
    Personally I find modern bikes too lardy for my liking.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Many,all
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I had an ST4s in Senna Grey. It was sold as a 2004 but in reality was a 2003. The 2004 has the better headlight.
    Certainly a nice bike, was going to do the belts and check the valves myself ( I had a 900ssie) but after the mission of taking the fairing off dropped it in to Toby in in Henderson who changed the belts and checked the valves.
    Never did any touring on mine, sold it and went back to an air cooled 900 Superlight.
    Personally I find modern bikes too lardy for my liking.

Thank you both, I must say that when I found out it had such low miles, the thought of the services made me think...........a lot!

but now the nice job I was told I was inline for has fallen through, so no new bike for me.....................yet

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Hitcher and FJrider do have it right....
    I ride 'full time' so easily cover 20-30k km's in a year. Had (sitting in my shed waiting for the day I do refurbish it, or sell it) an FJ1200, the old air cooled model. THe FJR1300 engine is the same {but more}, hugely torquey, creamy smooth power delivery, bear in mind the 'busa only RECENTLY equalled the FJR's torque figures, the old air cooled was reknowned as a 'torque meister' in it's day.... the air cooled version was in production still in the XJR 11/12/1300's till very recently, over 20yrs in production, and the FJ itself was literally unchanged in a 15yr production run, just a 100cc capacity increase. Yamaha 'got it right' with the FJ 11/1200's hence it outlasted so many other litre plus bikes in that time, the FJR1300 was definitely it's 'replacement'. the 1300 has a far superior chassis to the old air cooled.
    My current bike is very similar in it's power delivery, a CB1300, 50kph in top and roll on the throttle. FJR's etc are not 'sports bikes' and probably the duck will out handle them, but the FJ's are destroyers of continents for average cruising speed, comfort and distance you can 'consume' in a day.....
    Another option, and what i'll be using for a 'commuter', is a very 'honest' bike, a Kwaka ZZR1100, a set of bar risers and a touring screen and it's a comfortable intercontinental missile. Hasnt got the low down grunt of the FJ type bikes in top gear roll on, but hit 6k rpm and it is still a formidable weapon. you can pick up some of these older 'uber tourers'/ bike with low K's at very reasonable costs, they are worth a look as well as the 'modern' versions.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Hitcher and FJrider do have.............as well as the 'modern' versions.
    I don't think he was interested in anything other than buy the ST4 to be honest. Every comment other than ST4 praise was discarded.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    8 years and 126,000km and I'm looking forward to the next 8 years...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4385.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	315306

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    8 years and 126,000km and I'm looking forward to the next 8 years...
    Still looks new. There has been 2 zx14 with the earlier engine like the concours for sale recently. Both 90km and $6.5k. Makes you think they wouldn't be bad buying at that price. Very likely to have a lot more km left in them.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information