Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Cycling shorts most times I'm riding. Thermal longs over that if I'm expecting really cold conditions. Motorbike pants over the top, the current ones have both a waterproof and thermal liner, so either just waterproof, or also the thermal.

Stuff like pant liners you don't really want to be taking in or out during the ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    If its going to be warm cycling pants are great. The sweat will wick away. Thermals if cold as if they get wet they dry quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Long distance clothing. What is your preference?
    Still not that convinced about denim jeans even if they are Kevlar lined - what happens in wet? do they get damp and heavy.
    From other posts on adventure riding cotton is a real PIA, it remains damp and can lead to Hypothermia - extreme case

My current setup Textiles only it has liners built in - a 3 season riding setup - doesn't like the extremes of cold or heat although it has a LOT of vents
    The inbuilt armour keeps those parts of the body warm too. Mine has the most effective back warmer - It covers a lot of area.
    Cotton Tee shirt (I know, I know I am careful to make sure I don't get too cold->stuffed, I take a spare)
    I am experimenting with Thermal top - never needed them before

Neck tube and Balaclava - more to keep Helmet clean from oily/greasy hair (work related) and keeps the noise down, most noise comes up from under the neck roll.

Gremlin - Stuff like textile liners you don't really want to be taking in or out during the ride... +1 on that
    Wash them when you need to make sure its a gentle wash so any built in protection isn't damaged.
    Which reminds me mine need washing and the bike servicing (after the new lights are wired in)

Socks like Revit ones (Summer and Winter) are great because they can be worn a few days before they become itchy and uncomfortable - they don't take long to dry either

Layers are a great way of keeping the body temp constant

Hand guards and hot (only need slightly warm) grips are a good way of preventing frozen hands when you are travelling in winter and at night - this I know.

Hydration and Energy is probably the most important way of keeping body temp correct.

I did when I was thinking about riding before buying any gear often considered if I wanted one piece or 2 piece gear. Came to the conclusion that although one piece would be better in a race, getting in and out of it would be a PIA when you wanted to make a pitstop or add/remove some gear. So I brought separates.
    Funnily enough I brought the gear on a whim after visiting several bike shops and having a browse online, still not really knowing what I would be doing while riding (adv/offroad/commuting/racing/touring etc) - That same gear is exactly the same gear I would buy now given the same choices and experiences I have had now.

I find a modular helmet with a built in neck roll/chin guard and an height adjustable internal sunvisor is the go for those who want to be able to stop, take pictures, have a natter, while on the road. The sunvisor is great for those days with the sun breaking through the clouds. A Pinlock is good for heavy breathers.

I only have one pair of everything except socks - cant afford it at present, different gloves would be nice for the summer, as winter gloves reduce feel etc.

I recommend buy good gear once you have researched what fits you and your goals.
    The Goretex stuff is nice.

Never tried lycra, cycle pants or divers dry or wet suits - maybe they are similar?
    Last edited by eldog; 19th September 2015 at 13:28. Reason: added a few lines after Tazz's post below

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    snip

The lycra stuff can work pretty well. Comes in different weights I believe. I got given some a year or two ago that I've used a little bit last winter. Anything good like that is really hard to take a piss out of though so I stick to separate pants and tops. Cold killers pants are my go to for the bottom, then polyprop or merino (but they never have tight enough waists and always drop down on me. Wish you could throw a belt through them) the cold killer tops direct the wind to your kidneys though. Horrible.

Cotton is the debbil!
    Just look at what trampers wear, then add a protective layer applicable to bikes for ideas on what might work well for you.

I wear kevlar jeans but not when rain is guaranteed and usually not on multi day trips. They are warmer than you'd think when wet as the kevlar itself is almost like a thermal lining, but they take fucking ages to dry out again which is fine at home but annoying when on the move. Getting 'heavy' isn't an issue.
    They are surprisingly water resistant when new.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Was in the red shed today, they had a book sale on. One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac. Being a miserable sod and only needing a guestimate for one day, I flicked through to the 7th Nov, fine and cloudy with light breezes.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac.
    You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Ent-rails is that something from the Lord of the RINGs?..... see what I did there.

Did you look at the traditional fishing calendar as well? we will have time for a spot of that too. Put the lines out on the way out at Opotiki and collect on the way back.....

Awa - I am a don't knock it till you try type of person. But the odd poke in the ribs just to make sure is a good idea
    Last edited by eldog; 21st September 2015 at 18:03. Reason: Spot of fishing as well?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
    I dont endorse this guys work. Just quoting what he had written. Anyone who can predict spring weather out 12 months ahead to the day, has to be an optimist.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Anyone who can predict spring weather out 12 months ahead to the day, has to be an optimist.

Yep jus like us bikers eh, always looking ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up I am Registered

I sent my registration in today for this ride starting in Hamilton.I'm hoping for a really good turnout this year. It should be a great day.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Have just paid up. I hope it shows up at the other end. I had filled the registration form out some time ago, I had to wait to get my leave approved before coughing up the dough.

I have made up a temporary back rest for the Virago. The base lays along the pillion squab and the tank bag sits over the plywood base. It seems to be good at supporting my lower back so I'm not fighting the wind blast by gripping the hand grips tightly for 12 or more hours. A bit primitive compared to the 'electric everything Lazy boy' machines but it is what I've got, so it's what I ride.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
    I sent my registration in today for this ride starting in Hamilton.I'm hoping for a really good turnout this year. It should be a great day.
    should be a cracker day Jim bikes feeling good
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    I understand that there is about 22 registered for the Northern Start

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
    I understand that there is about 22 registered for the Northern Start
    that would have to be the highest turnout so far for all the starts I've done outside of Wellywood the future of these rides starting from the Tron look good..........
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries

Urgent Message!

Panic Stations People: Roll-up, Roll-up! For those of you who are intending to do this ride and haven't entered or haven't paid yet, due to time frames with the badge makers, we need to get our order in tomorrow to get the badges in time for the event.

You can still enter after tomorrow but you won't be guaranteed a badge! (But as it is a fund raising ride, the $20 entry fee will still apply)

Current entries across the two rides are now heading towards 60 and I am optimistic that we could well go over 70.

Refer to the NZ Distance Riders website http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...e-the-1kc.html for entry forms and bank account details.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Thread Information