Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    At least with this ride we will get to see a lot of the country in the daylight unlike the 1600

Wonder what sort of photos we have to take?
    are there some instructions of what required?
    Do we have to arrive with a memory card at the end for the officials to check?
    Just thinking do I take a camera or just use a smartphone

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    At least with this ride we will get to see a lot of the country in the daylight unlike the 1600

Wonder what sort of photos we have to take?
    are there some instructions of what required?
    Do we have to arrive with a memory card at the end for the officials to check?
    Just thinking do I take a camera or just use a smartphone
    The country is still there at night, just a bit harder to see beyond the confines of one's headlight.
    • You need to take photos of your bike at each prescribed checkpoint. Big, small, b&w or colour, still or moving doesn't matter a jot.
    • Instructions of what and where photos need to be taken will be emailed to registered riders (who have completed and sent in registration forms) prior to the start.
    • You will need to show images to the arrival Marshall. They generally like to see images, rather than a memory card or a roll of film from a Box Brownie.
    • Camera or smartphone are both good, as long as you've got enough battery to take images at each checkpoint, or get a riding partner to take these for you, and have something that the arrival Marshall can see that proves that your bike was at each of the required checkpoints.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The country is still there at night, just a bit harder to see beyond the confines of one's headlight.
    • You need to take photos of your bike at each prescribed checkpoint. Big, small, b&w or colour, still or moving doesn't matter a jot.
    • Instructions of what and where photos need to be taken will be emailed to registered riders (who have completed and sent in registration forms) prior to the start.
    • You will need to show images to the arrival Marshall. They generally like to see images, rather than a memory card or a roll of film from a Box Brownie.
    • Camera or smartphone are both good, as long as you've got enough battery to take images at each checkpoint, or get a riding partner to take these for you, and have something that the arrival Marshall can see that proves that your bike was at each of the required checkpoints.
    Righto, understood, sargent major sah. (I am imagining 'If It anit half hot mum' - accent)
    cup of char? anyone?

would be interesting taking a shot of the bike while its moving and I am on it as we pass the check point would save some time I guess. Anyone tried this?

Just looking forward to it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I'll take my camera and phone. Will take the checkpoint photos with the ph, so all the checkpoints are recorded side by side. Saves searching for them back at the finish. To be honest I doubt that with my small bike, I would have any time to stop for photos anyway. I'll run the gopro for most of the east coast ride as this is country I do not get to ride everyday.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Was in the red shed today, they had a book sale on. One being Ken Ring's 2015 weather almanac. Being a miserable sod and only needing a guestimate for one day, I flicked through to the 7th Nov, fine and cloudy with light breezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    You should try something with more scientific validity, like reading entrails or something . . .
    Long term lookout from the Met service, Cloudy and showers. Mind you, their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.

Bike
    XB12S
    If it doesnt rain it will be fine

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.
    I have to agree with that one, the amount of times I've seen the forecast change day by day to finally get to that day and find it is nothing like what was originally predicted.
    Just have wet weather gear handy while hoping for the best!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    A
    Long term lookout from the Met service, Cloudy and showers. Mind you, their forecast 10 days ahead is probably on a par with the moon man.
    Haha, it be a fair bet that covering a thousand clicks in NZ it's gonna be wet in some places. Mind you if it's gonna be wet all around doing a thousand clicks ain't really appealing.

Maybe we can give Ken Ring a call a day or two before the ride......somebody on KB must have him on speed dial?!

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Got the email with checkpoint and briefing info, yay not long now Made some directions in google maps for the phone. Comes to 1018km so a slight dependency of 10km from ride instructions, but that I think avoids the toll road, and a couple of short cuts. I don't know why you would but if you cut going out round the whole cape as suggested by google it cuts it down to 1011km. Use this link for navigation at your own risk!

Hamilton 2015 1KC:

https://goo.gl/maps/xdouMkGFvP82 1018 Km

The no fun Hamilton 2015 1KC:

https://goo.gl/maps/T17f9ri6aGo 1011 Km

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
    Got the email with checkpoint and briefing info, yay not long now Made some directions in google maps for the phone. Comes to 1018km so a slight dependency of 10km from ride instructions, but that I think avoids the toll road, and a couple of short cuts. I don't know why you would but if you cut going out round the whole cape as suggested by google it cuts it down to 1011km.

https://goo.gl/maps/T17f9ri6aGo 1011 Km
    I would be pretty disappointed in anyone not doing the full loop around the cape. That would go against all that the challenge is about. The route is about what I thought it would be. Had a feeling it might go through fuckatani one way and Tanea2a on the return leg. From Oto to Hamilton, there is only 3k difference between going around the Pirongia and Te Awamutu.

Re petrol stops, With a smallish tank, I will carry spare fuel. This will allow me to top up on the roadside between full refills and cut down on the number of times I have to remove the helmet, queue up to pay etc just to top up half a tank.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    I would be pretty disappointed in anyone not doing the full loop around the cape.
    The Cape is a ride I've wanted to for a while now, so i'm happy to be able to tick that off the list. I really liked the SH30-Hamurana Rd-Oturoa Rd last time I was down that way, so really glad that's in there, Some good views and a nice stretch of road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	817.2 KB 
ID:	316991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	872.3 KB 
ID:	316990

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Had a feeling it might go through fuckatani one way and Tanea2a on the return leg. From Oto to Hamilton, there is only 3k difference between going around the Pirongia and Te Awamutu.
    Yeah we are going thru WhakaTane. would that count? as doing that one

You have got me, as I have no idea about the last leg around Oto to Hamilton, 3k after 1000 wont matter a jot.

I am sure i wont get lost going around the cape, jut avoiding all the alcohol stops LOL while on the way. Getting there and back may be a problem though.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Mapped the exact route as per the instructions (1,018kms).

Marked the photo stops as waypoints

Uploaded the route to my Zumo 550

Printed up the instructions and photos, just in case the technology fails me.

Packed up the bike with extra fuel containers (2x 5l) to minimise fuel stops

Waterproofed the Jacket and Pants (just in case)

Checked the bike over x2

All set to go

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
    The Cape is a ride I've wanted to for a while now, so i'm happy to be able to tick that off the list. Some good views and a nice stretch of road
    Read a magazine who stated there had been several slips around the coast road recently
    Dont remember where exactly but will be good to keep eye open during the ride for road works.

nice boike and pics dude

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Mapped the exact route as per the instructions (1,018kms).

Marked the photo stops as waypoints

Uploaded the route to my Zumo 550
    Sounds like your all sorted. Going over the map I did there's a couple of differences that i didn't pick up until i looked over it again. Do you use google maps, or something else? I will toy with some different nav apps, as google maps don't have a lot of functionality compared to some others Ive seen, like making way points easier, detours, offline maps without using dev codes.

Edit: Neve rmind a zumos a GPS not a phone!

Thread Information