Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Re petrol stops, With a smallish tank, I will carry spare fuel. This will allow me to top up on the roadside between full refills and cut down on the number of times I have to remove the helmet, queue up to pay etc just to top up half a tank.
    Oh you won't need the servo nonsense that often, my thinking is at Gisborne and Rotorua the Pak N Save fuel stop is the easiest and fastest refuel option. Opotiki is likely the only servo where no pay at pump is in vogue as yet, as far as I know.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Oh you won't need the servo nonsense that often, my thinking is at Gisborne and Rotorua the Pak N Save fuel stop is the easiest and fastest refuel option. Opotiki is likely the only servo where no pay at pump is in vogue as yet, as far as I know.
    I dont have a fuel tanker or fuel sipper for a bike, so for lots of sllow corners, I have to be mindful of fuel availability.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Mapped the exact route as per the instructions (1,018kms).

Marked the photo stops as waypoints

Uploaded the route to my Zumo 550

Printed up the instructions and photos, just in case the technology fails me.

Packed up the bike with extra fuel containers (2x 5l) to minimise fuel stops

Waterproofed the Jacket and Pants (just in case)

Checked the bike over x2

All set to go

Cheers
    Pete
    Steruth, you are putting me to shame, but good on ya for being onto it.
    Still a noob when it comes to planning like you have done above, so thanks for the tips (what to do)

Still have to sort fuel, worried about slow corners I remember going that way a long time ago around the cape, but probably worrying about nothing...... better prepared and not need it.

Nah its not going to rain LOL
    if it does it will really slow me down.

Good to get feedback on hown others plan their trips

Got a lot on this week, so will be busy doing non bike stuff (bugger) Knowing me I will be still planning the morning of the trip

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
    Sounds like your all sorted. Going over the map I did there's a couple of differences that i didn't pick up until i looked over it again. Do you use google maps, or something else? I will toy with some different nav apps, as google maps don't have a lot of functionality compared to some others Ive seen, like making way points easier, detours, offline maps without using dev codes.

Edit: Neve rmind a zumos a GPS not a phone!

I used the Garmin Mapsource software to map the route.

Saved as a .gdb file

However This software lets me save as other file types such as .gpx

What file type is compatible with your phone?

I could email you a copy.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    Quiet plodder

Saved as a .gdb file

Cheers
    Pete
    thanks for the offer Pete, but i want to do this myself, its the best way I learn.
    OK I like to get how people do it - method. but I only learn the pitfalls etc and remember the router better if I do it myself. If I manage to get really lost I may ask later, so thanks for the offer.
    have a good trip, you will be ahead of me I am sure of that (slow rider that I am)

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride. There's really one road from Te puke, Whakatane, round the coast and back to Rotorua. But each to their own I guess.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50

Saved as a .gdb file

Cheers
    Pete
    I know .gpx files are compatible with a lot of the apps, I just haven't tried using them yet haha. yeh flick us a copy, cheers.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride.
    The route is straight forward, but you could take a few wrong turns around the Wharepapa south area, but that's your neck of the woods anyway. Just makes the whole day streamlined or so one would hope.

Got the gopro and phone mounted and powered through the bike, so the phone is a duel purpose device really to control cam and be a gps, more the former than the latter, but it's nice having both.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I can't for the life of me see why anyone would need a gps for this ride. There's really one road from Te puke, Whakatane, round the coast and back to Rotorua. But each to their own I guess.
    good for those of us who get lost going to the shops on the corner. and those who need to be reminded about stopping - rather than just riding on and on.
    Can program in other stops that may be just off the beaten track, like the wharf at Tokomaru bay

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    Simply because I can

2 Fuel stops at BP Opotiki, one on the way out and one on the way back.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Simply because I can

2 Fuel stops at BP Opotiki, one on the way out and one on the way back.
    According to Google street view the BP on Bridge street went bye byes some time between feb'10-mar'13. Unless your going to feed the bully up by cramming footlongs into the gas tank

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    The route is straight forward, but you could take a few wrong turns around the Wharepapa south area, but that's your neck of the woods anyway. Just makes the whole day streamlined or so one would hope.

Got the gopro and phone mounted and powered through the bike, so the phone is a duel purpose device really to control cam and be a gps, more the former than the latter, but it's nice having both.
    I tried the gopro ph app but found the image and numbers too hard to read while on the move. I have a remote but rarely use it. I carry two batteries and find I can record up to 2hr 20min on 1 battery using the 720 x 25 fps mode and the wireless function switched off.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I dont have a fuel tanker or fuel sipper for a bike, so for lots of sllow corners, I have to be mindful of fuel availability.
    Yep fair call. My preference is for the supermarket fuel dumps, usually the quickest in-out with pay at pumps. Opotiki is the odd one out there, no supermarket servo. FYI, just use the station finders from the fuel companies to map yourself out a safe range routine that works for your bike, around the route.

Everyone is different I suppose, don't use one myself, but for some the peace of mind knowing they're on the right road helps settle them nerves?

According to Google street view the BP on Bridge street went bye byes some time between feb'10-mar'13. Unless your going to feed the bully up by cramming footlongs into the gas tank
    Just a Caltex on the main road into Opotiki (Bridge St?) and a Z next road over if I recall correctly.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    not long to go now fellas weather looking excellent also Tank up & get on with it
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2008 Suzuki M50
    Was doing a little bit of mantinence on the bike and now it blows main fuse. Argh! Hoping like hell to trace it out and fix by Fri.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thread Information