Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    having lights is a legal requirement.
    i still have to get the bike to the start, i will need lights to ride it to the start.. unless i ship it.
    I'm quite aware of the light requirements on bikes. I was referring to the adding of additional lights for this ride.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Re the lights, The ride kicks off about 7am. With daylight saving, it will still be pretty much daylight at 7-8pm when the ride will be centre'd around the Waikato / Oto region so I can not see much in the way of night riding out in the boondocks, unless someone is still pushing his bike into the next fuel stop.
    Depends. When the ride was only Wellington based, I left Auckland around 11pm the night before, get to Caltex Rimutaka around 6am, then do the 1000km ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Depends. When the ride was only Wellington based, I left Auckland around 11pm the night before, get to Caltex Rimutaka around 6am, then do the 1000km ride
    ....and his eyes looked like pissholes in the snow by the time we stopped in Whanganui on the way home, so that stop got a little extended.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    ....and his eyes looked like pissholes in the snow by the time we stopped in Whanganui on the way home, so that stop got a little extended.
    Haha, I forget which year that was... Meant I was doing around 1600-1700km in 20-21 hrs. I remember you wondering why I was stretching only 200km into the ride... except it was more like 7-800km into the ride.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I'm quite aware of the light requirements on bikes. I was referring to the adding of additional lights for this ride.
    I was referring to the standard assortment of lights I add to any bike I ride.
    I just haven't had this one that long to have done those mods yet - took the ones off the Scorpio last Tuesday
    I want to mount them in a different position and change the way the light brightness is selected. Coordinate with the High beam.
    Along with mounting so they are in the right place I want it to look good as well.
    I have made some slight alterations to the bike and it is coming along well.
    Not sure about the front tyre pressure - It never seems to warm up, it feels like it doesn't have much grip.
    I think this is slightly too high pressure, haven't had time to have a play, been busy doing other stuff for a few months now.
    The rear seems to be pretty well right.
    I think it is pretty well setup at the moment, could do the 1000k tomorrow, its the rider that needs work and that's just bum on seat.

Its also why I am riding it on training runs as I haven't had much time on it, still getting used to its nuance's.

Just when I seem to get a handle on it, it throws me a surprise.
    Cornering is still in trial basis, The beginning of the East Cape run is lots of slow corners, for me anyway.
    The bike is going in for a major service at the end of the month so I want to get my stuff installed, up and running.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Hey Koro, did you know apparently the PnJ closed as of about two weeks ago? Someone mentioned it to me yesterday...

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Haha, I forget which year that was... Meant I was doing around 1600-1700km in 20-21 hrs. I remember you wondering why I was stretching only 200km into the ride... except it was more like 7-800km into the ride.
    I remember seeing a auxiliry fuel supply system on the KTM on this ride
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    I remember seeing a auxiliry fuel supply system on the KTM on this ride
    Indeed, and I've only seen one other plumbed in system (on a bandit? from memory). Ultimately, because it was simple gravity feed it didn't work 100%, sometimes not using it, sometimes using one tank then the other, sometimes continually topping up the main tank...

I stopped short of 3D forming it, and getting someone to make me a custom larger tank. Instead I bought a larger tank installed from factory on a different bike It was the better call (not many turn a supermoto into some continent crossing beast). That said, the last 1600km ride I did on it (I did 3 official ones on it and several other non-official) I do remember averaging 99kph moving (about 16h40m), and an extra hour for stops. That thing loved corners

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I was referring to the standard assortment of lights I add to any bike I ride.
    I just haven't had this one that long to have done those mods yet - took the ones off the Scorpio last Tuesday
    I want to mount them in a different position and change the way the light brightness is selected. Coordinate with the High beam.
    Along with mounting so they are in the right place I want it to look good as well.
    I have made some slight alterations to the bike and it is coming along well.
    Not sure about the front tyre pressure - It never seems to warm up, it feels like it doesn't have much grip.
    I think this is slightly too high pressure, haven't had time to have a play, been busy doing other stuff for a few months now.
    The rear seems to be pretty well right.
    I think it is pretty well setup at the moment, could do the 1000k tomorrow, its the rider that needs work and that's just bum on seat.
    I enjoy tinkering as well. Been raining today so I've made one or two adjustments, just about ready for the 1,000k run.

Don't be fooled by the Alabama sign. That's just photoshopped in to fool everybody.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I enjoy tinkering as well. Been raining today so I've made one or two adjustments, just about ready for the 1,000k run.

Don't be fooled by the Alabama sign. That's just photoshopped in to fool everybody.
    is that a BMW paralever suspension?
    I would suggest you increase the tank size, i dont want to have to tow you the whole way
    seat could be a bit more curved....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    is that a BMW paralever suspension?
    I would suggest you increase the tank size, i dont want to have to tow you the whole way
    seat could be a bit more curved....
    At least if I break anything on the way round it wont be hard to get a new part. Only tool I could need will be a pair of fencing pliers.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    At least if I break anything on the way round it wont be hard to get a new part. Only tool I could need will be a pair of fencing pliers.
    you could drive the whole bike with a chainsaw, then you would be able to replace the frame as well

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Hey Koro, did you know apparently the PnJ closed as of about two weeks ago? Someone mentioned it to me yesterday...
    That's correct. We have discussed alternatives and I need to review how it affects the route.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Indeed, and I've only seen one other plumbed in system (on a bandit? from memory). Ultimately, because it was simple gravity feed it didn't work 100%, sometimes not using it, sometimes using one tank then the other, sometimes continually topping up the main tank...

I stopped short of 3D forming it, and getting someone to make me a custom larger tank. Instead I bought a larger tank installed from factory on a different bike It was the better call (not many turn a supermoto into some continent crossing beast). That said, the last 1600km ride I did on it (I did 3 official ones on it and several other non-official) I do remember averaging 99kph moving (about 16h40m), and an extra hour for stops. That thing loved corners
    My old klx300 had an auxiliary fuel tank under the rear guard. Held enough gas that both tanks could get me about 270km... Both tanks were small.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Sorted out general bike fuel range and finished second distance goal and navigation tasks.
    i noticed even in the boondocks no cell coverage you aren't really all that far from a house.
    the further out in the country the better the roads are.

For all you distance riders out there - am i better off to ride what I think will be the course (or part thereof) or just anywhere I am not familar with, as long as i plan course, fuel stops so i can be as efficient time wise.

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information