Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GN250 modded exhaust smoking too much

Bike
    Suzuki 2004 GN250

GN250 modded exhaust smoking too much

Hi,

I recently changed the exhaust on my 04 GN250. It smokes and spits out a lot of water when the engine is warm. Is this normal or would I have to get the bike re-jet? There is no smoke when it starts up.

Thanks,
    Hans
    Aspiring cafe racer enthusiast.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by GN250_CafeRacer View Post
    Hi,

I recently changed the exhaust on my 04 GN250. It smokes and spits out a lot of water when the engine is warm. Is this normal or would I have to get the bike re-jet? There is no smoke when it starts up.

Thanks,
    Hans
    Aspiring cafe racer enthusiast.
    are you sure its water?

Are you sure some dumbarse hasn't left the fuel tap on and the sump has filled up with petrol?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Where was the "New" exaust sitting ... prior to fitting ... ????

Outside ... maybe ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Don't see why the new pipe would make it smoke - probably did before byt it was a loit more restrictive so less noticeable.

OR if you have only run it once or twice - the new pipe is just burning off oil or setting paint from the manufacturing of it. Typically a brand new muffler will stink and often smoke when hot for the first couple times. My new car headers stunk during the paint curing process (a couple of heat cycles).

Water. All exhaust systems produce water. Ever notice cars taking off from the lights pouring water out of their exhaust tip? Too many short trips start- stop not heating up the mufflers enough to burn off the moisture.

Again it is probably the same as before now (I presume) the system is more open you are noticing it spitting out at start-up as it is more free flowing. Previously it probably just piddled out like a old mans pee......

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Water. All exhaust systems produce water. Ever notice cars taking off from the lights pouring water out of their exhaust tip? Too many short trips start- stop not heating up the mufflers enough to burn off the moisture.
    A less restricted muffler would be more likely to blow out any condensation (formed prior to starting) .... short runs tend to do that.

And the mufflers rust from the inside out.

A liberal (regular) spraying of CRC up the exhaust(s) will help ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

A liberal (regular) spraying of CRC up the exhaust(s) will help ...
    Just ride the fucker for a while and get it nice and hot!

I think he needs to check his turn signal oil too .....

Just saying.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I think he needs to check his turn signal oil too .....

Just saying.
    Nah .... his Yellow power band will be leaking ... they're a bastard for doing that ...

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Nah .... his Yellow power band will be leaking ... they're a bastard for doing that ...
    Well if he checked his turn signal oil he wouldn't have his yellow power band leaking!
    Replace it with the red power bands they are faster.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Well if he checked his turn signal oil he wouldn't have his yellow power band leaking!
    Replace it with the red power bands they are faster.
    TRUE ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    We use a GN125 for our Basic Handling Skills Testing. It leaks water from where the muffler joins the header pipe, near the footpeg. We found that changing the headlight fluid helps, as the muffler and the headlight work from the same header tank.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    We found that changing the headlight fluid helps, as the muffler and the headlight work from the same header tank.

I never knew that ...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    We use a GN125 for our Basic Handling Skills Testing. It leaks water from where the muffler joins the header pipe, near the footpeg. We found that changing the headlight fluid helps, as the muffler and the headlight work from the same header tank.

Sounds like your exhaust dimensions euro7 sensor has come adrift from the mid mount flange. The race ecu is likely doing odd stuffs at the moment.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    GN 250, K100
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked your fridge and wallet?

It's not really PC to say in public, but GN250's are notorious piss heads and tokers. Like, there are some out there that are really well behaved and I wouldn't have a problem with my sister sitting on the back of them. But by-and-large most of those little fuckers will complain like a bitch that "its too hard!" while giving you a half assed job of getting from A to B. And the moment you turn the key off and turn your back, they'll be into your fridge drinking your piss and nicking a $20 from your wallet for a tinny, lighting up a spliff in the garage. And surprise, surprise - first thing the next morning they start up like a hung over lisping asthmatic with Tourette's, spewing up last night's stolen piss, fumbling their way through gears, like they can't remember if 4th comes after 3rd or 5th.

So my humble advice would be to ride that sucker as hard and fast as you can. Don't give it an inch! Tough love is all that they respond to and respect. Getting them to cut the booze and drugs ain't easy, but it can be rewarding. But NEVER GO EASY AGAIN! The moment you let them cruise below 4000rpm, or sit at the lights idling without wringing the throttle they loose their self respect and will be back to their old ways in a heartbeat.

Be staunch my friend, and good luck!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Have you checked your fridge and wallet?

It's not really PC to say in public, but GN250's are notorious piss heads and tokers. Like, there are some out there that are really well behaved and I wouldn't have a problem with my sister sitting on the back of them. But by-and-large most of those little fuckers will complain like a bitch that "its too hard!" while giving you a half assed job of getting from A to B. And the moment you turn the key off and turn your back, they'll be into your fridge drinking your piss and nicking a $20 from your wallet for a tinny, lighting up a spliff in the garage. And surprise, surprise - first thing the next morning they start up like a hung over lisping asthmatic with Tourette's, spewing up last night's stolen piss, fumbling their way through gears, like they can't remember if 4th comes after 3rd or 5th.

So my humble advice would be to ride that sucker as hard and fast as you can. Don't give it an inch! Tough love is all that they respond to and respect. Getting them to cut the booze and drugs ain't easy, but it can be rewarding. But NEVER GO EASY AGAIN! The moment you let them cruise below 4000rpm, or sit at the lights idling without wringing the throttle they loose their self respect and will be back to their old ways in a heartbeat.

Be staunch my friend, and good luck!
    Sounds like "50 shades of Honda".
    Your confusing a gl145 for a gn250 I think.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    GN 250, K100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Sounds like "50 shades of Honda".
    Your confusing a gl145 for a gn250 I think.
    Like I don't want Susan Devoy on my case (shh!), but those filthy bloody GL145's and GN250's are cut from the same motorcycle design philosophy - "Go forth (if you ain't got the poke to make 5th) in mediocrity"

Thread Information