Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GN125H valve clearance troubles (No clearance?)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by h0dgep0dge View Post
    Well, the rocker is attached to the head cover, and to get to the gap between the cam and rocker i'd need to remove the head cover. As to why the engine is designed for checking the valve-rocker clearance rather than the rocker-cam clearance, I dunno. Perhaps so that you can both inspect the valve stem and adjust the clearance through the same inspection cover. But seriously, you'd have to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about

what does that even mean?
    The valve clearance is measured between the top of the valves and the rocker ie nowhere near the cam.
    there will be inspection holes to measure the clearance through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Well, the rocker is attached to the head cover, and to get to the gap between the cam and rocker i'd need to remove the head cover. As to why the engine is designed for checking the valve-rocker clearance rather than the rocker-cam clearance, I dunno. Perhaps so that you can both inspect the valve stem and adjust the clearance through the same inspection cover. But seriously, you'd have to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The valve clearance is measured between the top of the valves and the rocker ie nowhere near the cam.
    there will be inspection holes to measure the clearance through.
    From my vague memory of doing it once on Al's 125, he's speaking the truth about not being able to get to the cam.

I'm pretty sure the clearances are too tight still. Those springs should be very weeak, the feeler gauge should slide in pretty much unimpeded.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    From my vague memory of doing it once on Al's 125, he's speaking the truth about not being able to get to the cam.
    He is, but there's no reason you would need to
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2003 Tuono

It's a hint that maybe taking a good photo and posting it here will make it easier for us to help you out.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS-TREBLE View Post
    It's a hint that maybe taking a good photo and posting it here will make it easier for us to help you out.
    I didn't need help after I realized the rockers were held down with springs. After that, I was able to take care of the clearance no problem. Also, I'm not going to post a photo because I'd need to take the head cover off again, and like hell I'm messing around with the RTV again.

Bike
    husaberg

I'm pretty sure the clearances are too tight still. Those springs should be very weeak, the feeler gauge should slide in pretty much unimpeded.
    As kick said why would you need or want to
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    As kick said why would you need or want to
    Single valve rocker arms, it's usually the easiest place to slide the gauge in.

Bike
    husaberg
    Single valve rocker arms, it's usually the easiest place to slide the gauge in.
    but its not where the tappet clearance is measured.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    but its not where the tappet clearance is measured.
    It differs how?

Bike
    husaberg
    It differs how?
    As it is not how to measure the clearance it has a two piece head to measure the clearance to the cam and follower base of the rocker would require removing the top of the head
    As you remove the top of the head it becomes a pointless exercise. As the rockers are attached to the top part of the 2 piece head. The rocker clearance will be able to be measured with a gps or tape measure.

Use the proper place it has caps to placed by the factory to allow for measurement

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_35.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	315678
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The rocker arms on a GN125 are not spring loaded.

It must be the valve springs you've been looking at and they have nothing to do with the valve clearance.

(Unless they're broken of course - then you'd have loads of clearance).

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    The rocker arms on a GN125 are not spring loaded.
    How do you know this?

No one is going to talk me out of this. Like I've already said, I saw the springs with my own eyes. I took the header cover off (the valve springs stay in the head, and these springs were definitely attached to the head cover) and they were applying a torque to the rocker arm, and therefore a force from the tappet down into the valve stem.

It's possible that I was mistaken about what I saw, but it's very unlikely, and no one is going to convince me of anything else. Maybe a picture of what I saw and an explanation of how it isn't what I thought it is, but "nope ur wrong" isn't going to convince me.

Bike
    husaberg
    How do you know this?

No one is going to talk me out of this. Like I've already said, I saw the springs with my own eyes. I took the header cover off (the valve springs stay in the head, and these springs were definitely attached to the head cover) and they were applying a torque to the rocker arm, and therefore a force from the tappet down into the valve stem.

It's possible that I was mistaken about what I saw, but it's very unlikely, and no one is going to convince me of anything else. Maybe a picture of what I saw and an explanation of how it isn't what I thought it is, but "nope ur wrong" isn't going to convince me.
    Yet none of it is relevant when it comes to setting the tappet clearance.
    As much as what 99.99% of what Katman posts is utter bullocks, one thinkg he could do is set the tappets on a GN.
    Rather than wasting more of everyone's time who has tried to help you feel free to take it all to bits for no reason at all. Because you feel you know better than mechanics do
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    How do you know this?

The fact that he's a fucken bike mechanic would be a fairly good reason. The springs you saw locate the rocker sideways I think you'll find.

Sooooo. Nope, you're wrong.

Bike
    husaberg
    As for some reason I actually bothered to look at the parts Fiche
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GN125 Valve gear.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	315695

If you look at 7.,8, 9 this is the valve clearance adjustment
    I reminder distinctly .