Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GN125H valve clearance troubles (No clearance?)

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250

GN125H valve clearance troubles (No clearance?)

I've recently scored a deregistered 2012 GN125H (Fixing it up for my girlfriend) and everything has been going smoothly. She got new levers, new clutch cable, new tach cable, new chain, new oil + filter, all bog standard stuff, but the bike has had trouble getting up to speed; when you're in 4th or 5th gear, the engine doesn't want to push you faster than 4000 revs. My first suspects were the carb or spark plug, so I replaced both of those; no joy. I'd decided to take a look at the valve timing (It felt a bit similar to riding a bike with bad timing), and thought that I would check out the valve clearance while I was at it. The internet told me to set it to 0.08-0.13mm, so I whipped out the feeler gauge, turned the engine to TDC and had a crack at it. What I found was that I couldn't get the feeler gauge under the tappet, noway nohow. I thought perhaps I had it at TDC of the wrong stroke, turned it a few times, couldn't get it under, even with the tapped completely removed; the valve is pressing right up against the rocker arm, with no space at all. Anyone got any clues?

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    So I feel like a right dick. As it turns out the rocker arms are spring loaded. I've only ever worked on my bike (a 30 year old gn250), and if that thing ever had spring loaded rocker arms, it certainly doesn't now.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by h0dgep0dge View Post
    As it turns out the rocker arms are spring loaded.
    No they aren't
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Make sure you are checking valve clearances with the motor stone cold..cannot be checked if it has been run.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    No they aren't
    Phew, thought parts had fallen out of the one I've worked on.

The motor shouldn't be at TDC anyway. Point the lobe directly away from rocker, then check the clearance.

If it'sriding the backs of the cams, it'll be well down on power and present with symptoms just like you describe.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    No they aren't
    Yes, they are. I took the rocker cover off and saw the springs with my own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    The motor shouldn't be at TDC anyway. Point the lobe directly away from rocker, then check the clearance.
    At TDC on the compression stroke the cam lobes are facing down.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Yes, they are. I took the rocker cover off and saw the springs with my own eyes..
    I think you need http://www.specsavers.co.nz

Unless the design changed a lot in the later models the only springs in there are valve springs
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Hah, I was bidding on that one for a bit. But went to the pub instead.
    I may be able to offer a hand if need be, I'm local

It has the same rocker system as your GN250. Only springs on them are to keep the rocker shaft centered
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    It has the same rocker system as your GN250
    That can't possibly be true, for 2 reasons. The 250 is a 2 valve system, and this particular 125 has great ruddy springs on the rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha
    Unless the design changed a lot in the later models the only springs in there are valve springs
    Maybe they did? idfk. All I know is there are most certainly 2 torsion springs applying a pre-load to the tappets onto the valve stem. Is it an OEM part? Dunno. Should they be there? No clue. But I know with 100% certainty that they are there.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Those springs might be holding the rockers off the cams, it would be stupid for them to be holding them on it. It would promote heat. That would be followed by the surfaces getting fucked, shortly thereafter you have horrible noises and then failure.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Failure.
    This sounds likely.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Those springs might be holding the rockers off the cams
    I fail to see a meaningful difference. All that matters is that there are springs applying a torque that results in a force down on the valve from the tappet, and that is why I couldn't feel the clearance to begin with.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I fail to see a meaningful difference. All that matters is that there are springs applying a torque that results in a force down on the valve from the tappet, and that is why I couldn't feel the clearance to begin with.
    Ah, I see what is going on now.

Hang on. Why are you not checking the clearance between the cam, and the rocker?

Bike
    a red heap
    is your camera broken too?

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Why are you not checking the clearance between the cam, and the rocker?
    Well, the rocker is attached to the head cover, and to get to the gap between the cam and rocker i'd need to remove the head cover. As to why the engine is designed for checking the valve-rocker clearance rather than the rocker-cam clearance, I dunno. Perhaps so that you can both inspect the valve stem and adjust the clearance through the same inspection cover. But seriously, you'd have to ask someone who actually knows what they're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog
    is your camera broken too?
    what does that even mean?

Thread Information