Thread: Map builder recommendations?

Bike
    C50T Boulevard, DR250S

Map builder recommendations?

Hi, I'm starting to put together my route for the 2016 TT2000 and I want to use something like Google My Maps to build day-by-day routes.

I want it to show the distance and estimated hours of more than 10 stops per day.

The basic online Google Maps shows what I want but it doesn't have enough stops and I don't seem to be able to save it in My Google Maps with the time/distance info.

I have built a map with layers in Google My Maps but it will not show the times/distance.

Does anyone have any ideas or alternative map builders?

Thank you

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    How are you going to use this data while during the ride, or is that no consideration?

Most of us that do heavy planning use Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp, as we then have Garmin GPS to load all the data into.

Either of the Garmin software will let you use the nz open source maps (downloads here: http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Late...exing_Mapsets/) plus you can tune your speeds for certain categories of roads.

I find that Google Maps over-estimates your time by a decent chunk, especially for motorcycles down twisty roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    C50T Boulevard, DR250S
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    How are you going to use this data while during the ride, or is that no consideration?

I find that Google Maps over-estimates your time by a decent chunk, especially for motorcycles down twisty roads.
    Hi Gremlin, Thank you ,
    I only want the map route planner for pre-ride planning. Once I have it sorted I'll enter it in my GPS.
    Unfortunately I don't have a Garmin - just a cheap unit that has served me very well.

I have found Google over estimates by about 10 minutes for every hour.

I'll check out the Open Source maps
    Thanks again

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    Hi Gremlin, Thank you ,
    I only want the map route planner for pre-ride planning. Once I have it sorted I'll enter it in my GPS.
    Unfortunately I don't have a Garmin - just a cheap unit that has served me very well.

I'll check out the Open Source maps
    Thanks again
    www.ridewithgps.com - great mapping site and you can use their app for nav if you need it (for free)
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    If you are stuck with Google maps just go with a moving average of 72Kph, it seems to be about right for a TT, thus if you are a little faster all good but all going well you wont drop to much slower unless some external event comes into play. With that you can work out a rough time of where you will be and when.

I consider about eight minutes per stop excluding fuel where I give myself fifteen, easier to over estimate those times that to be trying to play catch up.

Of course I use the Garmin software, I am not suggesting you will be able to find a "demo" copy that will work for you but then again I am also not suggesting you wont, its called mapsource and works a treat.

Good luck and see you at the finish.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic View Post
    Of course I use the Garmin software, I am not suggesting you will be able to find a "demo" copy that will work for you but then again I am also not suggesting you wont, its called mapsource and works a treat.
    Mapsource (and Basecamp) are both available from Garmin for free.

For mapsource, you extract the exe, run the main.msi (or something) which creates the necessary registry entries, then run the main exe you downloaded. No need to be cunning and find "demos". Couple that with open source maps and you're done
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Mapsource (and Basecamp) are both available from Garmin for free.

For mapsource, you extract the exe, run the main.msi (or something) which creates the necessary registry entries, then run the main exe you downloaded. No need to be cunning and find "demos". Couple that with open source maps and you're done
    Are you sure Gremlin? I had to enter a registration code for mine to work.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post

You may spend that time having a pee ... eating ... refueling ... or "other" ...

If you end up ahead of your schedule ... is it really a bad thing .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic View Post
    Are you sure Gremlin? I had to enter a registration code for mine to work.
    If you use Garmin maps, yes, they need codes and stuff, but unless it's changed (haven't installed for a while) the software itself is relatively easily installed (procedure detailed above). The download does look for an existing install, but as per procedure you can easily skirt around that. I've got Mapsource installed across 2 desktops and a laptop and I use them all for planning routes.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Garmin Basecamp is a more complicated program but has much much better functionality than Garmin Mapsource which is now quite outdated and no longer supported by Garmin.
    Basecamp is totally free.

Maps install the same in both but if using Basecamp only while installing the open maps if it pops a box open saying it can not find mapsource, just tell it yes you want to proceed anyway. Then next time you run Basecamp the maps should be available to use.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    C50T Boulevard, DR250S
    Thank you for all your great replies.

I've downloaded and used Garmin Basecamp - it's brilliant (and free).
    I've also saved my routes in Dropbox so I can open them using the Basecamp app on both my iPhone and iPad.
    Now I may invest in a Garmin SatNav

I'm going to have a play with www.ridewithgps.com next.

Thank you once again.

Bike
    '10 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    I'd recommend "TYRE to Travel" for route planning. It's a free program designed by motorcyclists, with no limit on waypoints, and it will send your finished route straight to your Garmin or Tomtom GPS device.

I've followed 16k km of carefully planned routes across the western USA plotted using TYRE this year... and it never once let me down.

Thread Information