Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Aid kit and training?

Bike
    YB125 RR
    Do a basic first aid cert.
    They are compulsory at work and for good reason. The chances are, you are not going to come across some life threatening situation but you will learn how to handle a bloody situation without panic.
    True storey. At work about a month ago, older fella comes running in. He is very upset and in a panic. Long storey short, a female work mate had cut her hand with a craft knife. Blood everywhere. She panicked, everyone panicked. I went over to help and found everyone running in ever decreasing circles.
    No one had performed any first aid. No one had called 111.

So the benefit of a first aid cert? I made the lady comfortable, stemmed the bleeding, called an ambulance and calmed everyone down. It all seems like common sense.

The cool thing to come from this, the staff at this business have now done some first aid training.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smokes View Post
    Do a basic first aid cert.
    They are compulsory at work and for good reason. The chances are, you are not going to come across some life threatening situation but you will learn how to handle a bloody situation without panic.
    True storey. At work about a month ago, older fella comes running in. He is very upset and in a panic. Long storey short, a female work mate had cut her hand with a craft knife. Blood everywhere. She panicked, everyone panicked. I went over to help and found everyone running in ever decreasing circles.
    No one had performed any first aid. No one had called 111.

So the benefit of a first aid cert? I made the lady comfortable, stemmed the bleeding, called an ambulance and calmed everyone down. It all seems like common sense.

The cool thing to come from this, the staff at this business have now done some first aid training.
    Concur. Did a two day course. Got me DR'sABC down and it helps a lot. Had a fire at work recently and the same protocol kicked in. Assessed the risk, secured the area, put the fire out. Methodology. T'was a bit nippy. Lots of panicking, flapping and flames. Horrified to find out I was the only person in the building who knew where the fire extinguishers and first aid kit was.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    thats a tough one.If they arent breathing and they have a helmet on the helmet must be removed.This of course carries potential danger,but of course so does not breathing
    forget about the breathing and concentrate on cpr, unless you have another two people there to help you you will probably do more harm than good trying to remove the helmet and that time you are spending getting the helmet off is time better spent moving blood around the body.
    personally unless i know the person involved i will not perform mouth to mouth (adult) (children and infants i will). if there is an obstruction in the airway it will get removed once you start compression's.

people have mentioned glad wrap but not all people will know why, best thing to put on burns after they have been cooled down, don't put gels or ointments on as these will get scrubbed out at hospital causing a whole lot of extra pain.
    reminds me of a story told to a first aid course i did many years ago, story was told to us by a doctor. he had a kid brought in with fairly serious burns, the mother had smeared the burns with jam. When asked why on earth she would do that her reply was "i had no butter left"

probably something only some of the older fraternity might understand

Bike
    BMW R850RT

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Paramedic vs a first aider.
    John Hinds was a doctor: an anaesthetist and a trauma expert. A whole nother ball of wax.

For anyone who hasn't seen his lecture it's here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg
    Some medical jargon, he is talking to medical people, but some humour too.

It's a long time since I did my original first aid course but from memory the first one might be two days and thereafter a one day refresher every few years.
    There is a lot of focus on CPR and these days defibrilators feature 'cause they are all over the place.

The training is good to do not just because you could help a stranger, it could be your wife or child.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information