Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Laptops

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    Piss poor really in today's world, but not unexpected.
    The processors used in lappies are soldered to the motherboard (with the exceptions I already pointed out), due to the benefits of speed and heat dissapation, motherboards form the shape of the laptop and include the io/graphics module (and leave space for optical drive if required), the laptops shape dictates its screen size, battery capacity, etc. The standard components you can swap are just ram, and hard drive.

So if your spec is i7 (and I assume you mean the quad core one), then it'll narrow down the subsequent options in a logical fashion.

So just which bit is piss poor? That the tech used is now too advanced for hamfisted loons to go poking around the internals of it? That's just the 'price' of progress.

You don't want to build your own, you just want an easy option to say you did. Building your own is still entirely possible, but you'd use desktop components and a custom made case/screen etc (and a basic knowledge of electronics and mechanical engineering); but given your line of questioning you don't have the skillset for that.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    So just which bit is piss poor? That the tech used is now too advanced for hamfisted loons to go poking around the internals of it? That's just the 'price' of progress.

You don't want to build your own, you just want an easy option to say you did. Building your own is still entirely possible, but you'd use desktop components and a custom made case/screen etc (and a basic knowledge of electronics and mechanical engineering); but given your line of questioning you don't have the skillset for that.
    It's just a fucking laptop. That each one is designed so differently that it negates modularity is simply fuckin stupid! So no, it isn't the price of progress, it's idiocy!

I don't have time to mine the necessary minerals, so yes, I am relying on the convenience factor of prebuilt components, but that convenience is time not ability. So now that we're sliding into bogan wankfest land... Thanks for the useful help you gave.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    CB1300
    I hear ya big man . One of the finished products will likely end up in the cloud, and whilst I've thought about throttling SQL, when it needs to grab resources I'd rather that it can, as it may highlight a coding issue that'd otherwise be missed, especially under load testing.
    Throttling the ram is best practice. It also leads to much better performance not less. Especially if you don't reboot every day.

The other enhancements in suggest would be more akin to taking the baffles out.

I manage about 30 production instances over. All of them run a lot faster with a lot less down time (in spite of nearly double the workload over the last 12 months ) since I spent some time fettling them.

If you are really dealing with million + row answers the biggest performance gains would be setting your max dop to half your cores, your cost to about 200 and your temp db to 1 file per core.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    SQL has to work first time no matter where it is installed. So 90% of the settings can be customised and about 30% should be.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Throttling the ram is best practice. It also leads to much better performance not less. Especially if you don't reboot every day.

The other enhancements in suggest would be more akin to taking the baffles out.

I manage about 30 production instances over. All of them run a lot faster with a lot less down time (in spite of nearly double the workload over the last 12 months ) since I spent some time fettling them.

If you are really dealing with million + row answers the biggest performance gains would be setting your max dop to half your cores, your cost to about 200 and your temp db to 1 file per core.

Sent via tapatalk.
    I've no doubt there'll be huge performance gains to be had, but I usually "attack" them once I've got a decent flow of traffic going through the site in order to gives me the read/write stats for decision making.

It won't be millions of rows for a while, I hop lol... but I expect we'll get there. As yet I'm unsure as to what SQL in the cloud will allow me to administer... but it's good to know that there is more wriggle room in terms of throttling, it's just not at the top of the list yet, product is.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    SQL has to work first time no matter where it is installed. So 90% of the settings can be customised and about 30% should be.

Sent via tapatalk.
    heh... it fucking better work first time or the apps'll go nowhere pretty quickly

Bike
    CB1300
    I've no doubt there'll be huge performance gains to be had, but I usually "attack" them once I've got a decent flow of traffic going through the site in order to gives me the read/write stats for decision making.

It won't be millions of rows for a while, I hop lol... but I expect we'll get there. As yet I'm unsure as to what SQL in the cloud will allow me to administer... but it's good to know that there is more wriggle room in terms of throttling, it's just not at the top of the list yet, product is.
    Azure limits you a fair bit. But there is a lot of fancy auto configuration goes on.
    But you only pay for outbound traffic if you mark it non production.
    Amazon you can buy into scalable auto configuration service or you can save some money and run it yourself.
    You pay all the time it is running but it auto scales to any budget you set.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    CB1300
    heh... it fucking better work first time or the apps'll go nowhere pretty quickly
    Yep and they know developers want a working platform now. security and configura can wait.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    It's just a fucking laptop. That each one is designed so differently that it negates modularity is simply fuckin stupid! So no, it isn't the price of progress, it's idiocy!
    Exactly, it's just a fucking laptop so buy an off the shelf model and get over yourself cos no, you can't swap out BGA processor chips to give herbs to an otherwise plebby laptop

They're not designed different to one-another to negate modularity, they designed without modularity because ensuring they were modular increases build cost and decreases the user experience.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Azure limits you a fair bit. But there is a lot of fancy auto configuration goes on.
    But you only pay for outbound traffic if you mark it non production.
    Amazon you can buy into scalable auto configuration service or you can save some money and run it yourself.
    You pay all the time it is running but it auto scales to any budget you set.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Tis as I thought, but hey, so long as it'll allow me to script indexes, all should be well with the world. Will be giving Azure the once over in the next few weeks. Chur for the info.

Yep and they know developers want a working platform now. security and configura can wait.

Sent via tapatalk.
    True... then they can spend money on buying in DBA's to sort out developer mess lol.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Exactly, it's just a fucking laptop so buy an off the shelf model and get over yourself cos no, you can't swap out BGA processor chips to give herbs to an otherwise plebby laptop

They're not designed different to one-another to negate modularity, they designed without modularity because ensuring they were modular increases build cost and decreases the user experience.
    Enjoy your wankfest.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Drivers/firmware are enough of a nightmare with laptops, without cobbling together a frankenstein.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Enjoy your wankfest.
    Enjoy you unnecessary whinge about things you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Drivers/firmware are enough of a nightmare with laptops, without cobbling together a frankenstein.
    Yeh, excellent point. I do remember one guy doing a custom laptop build out of desktop parts which would get around that as well, might try and dig it out as it was reasonably interesting.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You do need to pay attention to the SQL setup, otherwise a badly setup one will be a dog. I remember looking at a server (not a client, but they were casting about) and with 2-3 SQL instances the machine was using all 24GB ish of memory plus that again in paging and was as slow as a dog.

Best to limit the memory a DB gets (or something... I don't admin DBs as a daily job, but clients have them and there isn't anyone else - so it's a crash course in SQL) and it will actually work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You do need to pay attention to the SQL setup, otherwise a badly setup one will be a dog. I remember looking at a server (not a client, but they were casting about) and with 2-3 SQL instances the machine was using all 24GB ish of memory plus that again in paging and was as slow as a dog.

Best to limit the memory a DB gets (or something... I don't admin DBs as a daily job, but clients have them and there isn't anyone else - so it's a crash course in SQL) and it will actually work better.
    True... fortunately I'll be using a single instance and I've dealt with 6.5/7/2000/2005/2008 admin/config over the years, so am more than comfortable with it even if it wasn't/isn't my day in day out bread and butter. Piece of piss like... dunno what all the fuss is about

Thread Information