Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Laptops

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries

Custom Laptops

Ever since back in the day when "mobile" tech started appearing, laptops have been jammed full of components I simply don't want or need.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does custom laptops? ... and I don't mean start with a base model and add extras.

As I may well be pissing in the wind, and having build only PC's over the year, how easy is it to get laptop components and throw the fucker together? Also, how tied to OS's are components these days?
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Not worth it for pleb devices; ie, removing bits you don't need. Custom is only worth doing if you really need to add something.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Not worth it for pleb devices; ie, removing bits you don't need. Custom is only worth doing if you really need to add something.
    It's more a case of I'd rather spend the $ on the cpu or memory or SSD etc... instead of graphics, ginormous screens, optical drives, an over abundance of ports etc...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    buy a mac. linux runs on pretty much anything.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    buy a mac. linux runs on pretty much anything.
    Fuck off Apple fan boi. Whilst linux runs on pretty much anything, not anything runs on linux. I'm looking to put a development machine together full of MS development goodies.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    It's more a case of I'd rather spend the $ on the cpu or memory or SSD etc... instead of graphics, ginormous screens, optical drives, an over abundance of ports etc...
    The buy one which plays to those strengths; you don't need to go custom for that.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The buy one which plays to those strengths; you don't need to go custom for that.
    I know what I need thanks, and that isn't on offer in this wonderful world of technological choice, or lack of it as it turns out

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I know what I need thanks, and that isn't on offer in this wonderful world of technological choice, or lack of it as it turns out
    That's incredibly surprising, are you forgetting to search notebooks as well or something?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's incredibly surprising, are you forgetting to search notebooks as well or something?
    It's not surprising to me, given that this has been happening since back in the day. Yeah, I forgot to search the internet before coming on to KB

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    It's not surprising to me, given that this has been happening since back in the day. Yeah, I forgot to search the internet before coming on to KB
    Well that's a bit slack, but I'm feeling generous so I did a wee search for you. Try this one; good processor, no gfx card, shitty screen, decent ram, SSD, only 2 usbs.

http://www.computerstore.co.nz/asus-...gb-128gb-w8pro

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well that's a bit slack, but I'm feeling generous so I did a wee search for you. Try this one; good processor, no gfx card, shitty screen, decent ram, SSD, only 2 usbs.

http://www.computerstore.co.nz/asus-...gb-128gb-w8pro
    lol... I said for development, not surfing the internet and using paint or notepad. The only thing that has over my current machine is the SSD, but appreciate your effort.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    lol... I said for development, not surfing the internet and using paint or notepad. The only thing that has over my current machine is the SSD, but appreciate your effort.
    That i5'll be fine for your kind of development, if you need more cheap number crunching look into getting a desktop to do that; or learn how to farm it out to the GPU to get your money's worth on a fandangled i7 model.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That i5'll be fine for your kind of development, if you need more cheap number crunching look into getting a desktop to do that; or learn how to farm it out to the GPU to get your money's worth on a fandangled i7 model.
    bwaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa... like I said, I know what I want and why I need it. My current i7 is over 4 years old and is starting to creek a tad and has accumulated way too much stuff, so am looking at replacing its dev activities with a dedicated dev laptop in case I need to travel for conferences or some such nonsense... hence laptop for portability.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    bwaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa... like I said, I know what I want and why I need it. My current i7 is over 4 years old and is starting to creek a tad and has accumulated way too much stuff, so am looking at replacing its dev activities with a dedicated dev laptop in case I need to travel for conferences or some such nonsense... hence laptop for portability.
    See post #2 then, and specify what you need to add...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    See post #2 then, and specify what you need to add...
    In that case, see posts #1, 3, 7, 9, 11.

Thread Information