Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-registering and modifying - Cafe Racer

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Times have changed no doubt but would be very curious to know what the powers to be accept as a welding procedure or certification that covers a notched steel tube tee joint as in a motorcycle frame.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    Times have changed no doubt but would be very curious to know what the powers to be accept as a welding procedure or certification that covers a notched steel tube tee joint as in a motorcycle frame.
    The testers livelyhood and reputation will be at stake.

As such ... the letter of the law will be of little interest to the tester. His/her decision will be the last word.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Mate put his café Honda 750 4 thru Vin recently, they got him to put original footpegs and bars back on for the vin.
    As mentioned what you do after is up to you.
    Another mate has done a series of 90's Ducatis in the last year and had no issues other than them not liking SS brake lines.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    No I don't ... I'm A qualified welder.

Those that are NOT ... good luck.

Those that are not and have no issues ... good for them.

Those that DO have issues ... you were warned.
    You do not need to be a certified welder for lvv cert.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    You do not need to be a certified welder for lvv cert.
    I'd give you a chicken dinner but I've only got 6.

The reason people assume you have to be is because people the certifier knows nothing about rock up with a finished project the certifier knows nothing about so they try cover their ass a little.
    General consensus is to talk to one as you go, show him you are not a clueless tool and can weld (or whoever is welding for you can) ticketed or not, they can see shit not already covered in paint, then go from there.
    Talking as you go can also save having to do a lot of little things you might not think of. A common one is people not leaving enough thread past the nut on bolts. Easy, but annoying fix.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If any have questions regarding certification ... Get the answers from those (in your area) doing the testing ...

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/contact.html#certifier

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Slightly off topic but with mods to bikes in general in mind

This got me to thinking, how far can I go BEFORE I need to see a LVV certifier

Previous owner changed the exhaust, was he/she liable for the cost of the cert or ME because I am the current owner?
    Its a off the shelf item, rather than a one off special, it hasn't been tampered with and doesn't need to be.
    Does changing say the rear shock to a different model - similar size/stroke/length say an Ohlins instead if the OEM one

I have added some auxiliary positioning and driving lights - OK I have to follow the lighting code as vague as it is. But I don't have to get it certified as long as I haven't changed the OEM light.
    but If I add a relay and a higher spec lamp would that matter (No not a HID one)

This would mean a change to the vehicle and a note to the insurer for just in case stuff.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Slightly off topic but with mods to bikes in general in mind

This got me to thinking, how far can I go BEFORE I need to see a LVV certifier

Previous owner changed the exhaust, was he/she liable for the cost of the cert or ME because I am the current owner?
    Its a off the shelf item, rather than a one off special, it hasn't been tampered with and doesn't need to be.
    Does changing say the rear shock to a different model - similar size/stroke/length say an Ohlins instead if the OEM one

I have added some auxiliary positioning and driving lights - OK I have to follow the lighting code as vague as it is. But I don't have to get it certified as long as I haven't changed the OEM light.
    but If I add a relay and a higher spec lamp would that matter (No not a HID one)

This would mean a change to the vehicle and a note to the insurer for just in case stuff.
    http://www.lvvta.org.nz/contact.html#certifier

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I saw your previous post already

I went back and reread it, s l o w l y
    1. Suspension change by changing the shock with a non OEM would be a mod - I would like to make it a bit easier to alter but OK with it now.
    2. Exhaust doesn't seem to be covered except by noise emission check - so YES a mod, but only for noise.

My light additions as long as they meet the WOF std are OK

The bike passed a recent through WOF - no problems
    Last edited by eldog; 19th September 2015 at 15:54. Reason: M O D I F I E D post

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    I'm certify able, now, if only I could find my lace up jacket........

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    YES its a mod, but its an off the shelf mod for the bike, can put the original pipe back on no worries.

I was hoping there has been someone who has done similar and been there done that.

I don't want to open a whole can of worms for myself at present.

The bike passed a recent through WOF - no problems
    Availability/cost of stock standard parts dictates what gets fitted. (any excuse etc)

All the motorcycles on Trademe that are not in the system ... are still for sale at ever increasing asking prices.

Many having extensive modifications ... but no cert' ..

Reality ... most are/should be ... for parts only (in my opinion)

If in doubt ... ask those doing the testing in the area you are in.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Availability/cost of stock standard parts dictates what gets fitted.
    Reality ... most are/should be ... for parts only (in my opinion)
    If in doubt ... ask those doing the testing in the area you are in.
    Availability of stuff - no problems with getting OEM stuff for Yamaha or Suzuki, just wait a few weeks, OK prices aren't really too bad.
    Gives you time to reflect on how to avoid things happening AGAIN.

Original owner obviously wanted to change the image of the bike, so changed the exhaust to an off the shelf item made for the bike, its a direct bolt on kit from the headers to the pipe ends.
    Its actually not bad gives the bike some life, when you take off but is mostly a quiet bike when cruising

I only put quality stuff on any bikes I own, I don't modify stuff on a whim and keep it as stock as I can.

I asked the guy doing the WOF about the exhaust, he didn't seem to concerned. I was glad he did a through check on the bike - it was at a bike shop rather than a Car WOF licensing place.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    GN 250, K100
    Blog Entries
    I've asked this question elsewhere (with no sensible replies) - I am working on a GN250 bobber project. Suspension is stock (not a hardtail), but would like to loose the frame rails behind the shock mount points. Would this constitute something that would require certification?

Its already lost a shit load of spurious tabs and extraneous stuff off the frame - nothing structural. Also in the bin are turn signals/rear light etc. Replacements must be E marked? (Or CE?) as fit for purpose? Any issues about genuine E mark from Asian manufacturers?

The sidecar will obviously need certification. Better (cheaper?) to certify bike and chair together if both need certification, or separate? Or can I manage a working legal ridable bike while working on building the chair?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I've asked this question elsewhere (with no sensible replies) - I am working on a GN250 bobber project. Suspension is stock (not a hardtail), but would like to loose the frame rails behind the shock mount points. Would this constitute something that would require certification?
    What structural chassis bracing would be left between the upper shock mounting points .. ????????

Its already lost a shit load of spurious tabs and extraneous stuff off the frame - nothing structural. Also in the bin are turn signals/rear light etc. Replacements must be E marked? (Or CE?) as fit for purpose? Any issues about genuine E mark from Asian manufacturers?
    Is the rego still in the system ... ??? Yes ... should not be an issue. No ... you will have issues.

The sidecar will obviously need certification. Better (cheaper?) to certify bike and chair together if both need certification, or separate? Or can I manage a working legal ridable bike while working on building the chair?
    Get the bike legal first ... if you can.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    I'm certify able, now, if only I could find my lace up jacket........
    Someone on here may have borrowed it and should be putting it to good use.....

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information