Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northern Odyssey

Bike
    Quiet plodder

2019 no

Got the instructions
    had almost forgotten about it, so busy the last few months.... barely time for any rides

anyway got a route sorted, sort off. A few places will have to sus out on the ride itself.

was planning on using it as part of a longer ride down south, but the iffy weather doesn’t really excite me.

current plan is to break it into 2 parts, stop in Hastings the weather and roads are usually good there and I maybe able to catch up with an old mate if he can get off the couch

the ride as usual looks interesting as it covers things I would have normally passed.

going soouth but not by bike I had planned to but it hasn’t worked out.

just as well I did SATNR last week.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Finally completed half of this years event, places I have been past and never really stopped to look

i really have to work out the fuel range, it can be strange to see it drop more than a few bars and no fuel stations nearby

Enjoyed every minute and the weather was beaut.

Looking forward to the rest, will either do it in 2 rides or another big one..... in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Finally completed half of this years event, places I have been past and never really stopped to look

i really have to work out the fuel range, it can be strange to see it drop more than a few bars and no fuel stations nearby

Enjoyed every minute and the weather was beaut.

Looking forward to the rest, will either do it in 2 rides or another big one..... in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Its not for everyone, Its open to everyone, any age, not necessarily a Ulysses member. A small donation sees directions, questions and a answer sheet emailed to you.
    Time and directions approx. 20 Dec till Anzac/30 April to do the ride - Check actual details with Waikato Ulysses website Northern Odyssey
    its usually one area of the North Island, till it takes off in the South Island(or do they already have one similar) each year.
    Doesn't have to be done in one go (although you can do it in one day-if you want)

A great way of exploring NZ and its history.

Met a fellow biker in Napier on the way round this time, seemed quite interested, so maybe a starter next year. Amazing the people you met on a ride, sheltering from the rain.

Update, 2 more rides, both great days for weather and riding.

So good riding with another rider

Great ride route, destination and questions

Can't wait till next year

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder

2020 Northern Odyssey -> Southern Odyssey. Top of SI

This years NO is top of South Island.

So they called it 2020 SO.

Planning underway.
    Looks like a lot of twists and turns.

So I'd you see a slightly puzzled rider over the new year, it's probably me!

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I might see you out there. My father, brother and I are doing a quick tour of the South Island, and we'll be doing the top of the South Island around the time that you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I might see you out there. My father, brother and I are doing a quick tour of the South Island, and we'll be doing the top of the South Island around the time that you mentioned.

If you see a rider in an bright orange rain straight jacket. That will be me. Probably lost or out of fuel. The southern odyssey instructions can be a little sparse.

I usually give a wave or a nod. C u out there. The weather may be rainy so wearing the orange vest.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder

Cog

So far done 1/4 of the ride.
    Ditched the raincoat.

Weather perfect sunny
    Roads have been just resealed in a lot of places
    A little bit of loose stones but not much.

Other road users very polite and accommodating

Noticeably less of the dick measurement brigade.

Would I do this years loop again - YES so far.

Takaka hill has 5 slips being repaired traffic lights 15 minute wait. Be prepared to stop and wait sometimes twice - I did. There are a few very nice photo opportunities along the way as well.

Did a little excursion while I was on the other side today. Well worth it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Thanks for the update. I'm on my way there right now. Currently in Havelock.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Yesterday all down the coast from Westport to Greymouth .
    Threw in about 60 odd k as I checked out a side road. Just for the hell of it.

Great roads, scenery and conditions-low traffic and not in a hurry.

Passed through Hurunui area to Kaikoura today.
    Hurunui was hot and scenery isnt like the previous days.
    Occasional dumb overtaking started today.
    Then as they were in a convoy more mad overtaking techniques employed.
    Road condition not as good as previous days. Lots of small dips and uneven tarsal.

Hope tomorrow's ride north to Picton isnt another tourist overtaking fiesta.

Overall it's a great ride. I would do it again tomorrow no question.

The answer for one question you have to ask at the trailer coffee shoppe as it's their problem to clean up. I had thought of it as an answer they just confirmed it. They open up again about 11 if they are closed. The coffees not bad either.

Wasn't sure if it was a fellow KB Jatz or Tazz have a coffee and a snack at the same time. Little blue creature tied to the back of the bike. Anyone with an answer.

Found one of the answers lying face down behind a concrete fence. Propped it up some the next person could find it. Hanmer Springs.

Also the sign for the gravesite had been knocked off the post. I have stood it up and used a couple of rocks to fix it in place. Hope it's still there when you get there.

Met some interesting people.

Generally only a small number of road works around the place.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Back at the ferry
    Took in the Omaka museums as well.
    WW1 is separate to WW2 separate to classic cars 60,70,80s cars. Payment for each.

Great ride overall. Would do it again at the drop of a hat.

Had I realised it I would have done the Molesworth ride as well. Not sure if rider and bike would suit such a mission.

So let's see some more people do it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    I did the Molesworth and the Rainbow Road (albeit in the 4x4 rather than the bike). I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance. It is a great road with some fantastic scenery.

I spent New Years Eve at Lake Tennyson. We climbed up a bloody great mountain and watched the stars. It was a fantastic place to see in the new year.

Thread Information