Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lams MT07 and derestricting, R3 questions

Bike
    None yet :(

Smile Lams MT07 and derestricting, R3 questions

Hey guys,

So I recently got my learners and I am now shopping for my first bike and unleash my inner Rossi on Auckland's streets.

I've got about 10K to spend on a first bike and was thinking of getting a Yamaha MT07 as my learner's bike. Sticking to Yamaha since that is what my dad and grandad used to ride back in the day.

Only concern I have is that I know this is a tamed down version of the international MT07 to meet Lams specs, normally wouldn't mind but pricewise there's like a 500 dollar difference on TradeMe with the Lams version and the High Output (normal one).

To bring it up to spec post learners as well doesn't look like an easy job like removing a throttle restrictor somewhere as it looks like the engine itself has been downsized from the factory.

What do you guys reckon? Is it still worth getting? There seems to be something inside me that finds it inherently wrong to ride a 'neutered' bike when I can get something like the R3 for cheaper. Although it's not as powerful, it's still the same R3 as overseas and I guess it feels good to ride a slower bike that's built like that instead of a faster, torquier bike that's made slower. Plus I can put aside the extra 3-4k from the R3 towards a full powered MT07 in like 18 months.

Cheers for the input guys.

Tim

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    The MT07, even restricted, makes the R3 look like the slow, overpriced piece of shit that it is. The restriction is a throttle place, slightly smaller displacement and an ECU restriction.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2412 View Post
    Hey guys,
    To bring it up to spec post learners as well doesn't look like an easy job
    You have a gift for understatement. It just isn't an option.

See if you can get a test ride, if you like it buy it.

With a bike like that you shouldn't have to change bike as soon as you get your full licence. It's not like the "old" days when you didn't want to stay stuck on a 250.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    S1000RR
    Hey guys,

So I recently got my learners and I am now shopping for my first bike and unleash my inner Rossi on Auckland's streets.
    This ought to be good.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Oh dear. This may not end well. Trust me Tim ... better for a start just to unleash your inner Nana.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    R1200GSA
    This neutered bike you speak of will probably be capable of much more than you are.
    If you want to be taken seriously on a forum like this, it would probably best not to preface "release my inner Rossi" with "just got my learners"
    Additionally, speaking like this and making reference to Auckland in the same sentence is simply asking for the Akzleator to come and get you. You have been warned, you're welcome.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    ok, firstly, this isnt a 'neutered' version, it's a specific version. The MT-07 is a 700cc bike elsewhere, the Lams version is a '660'cc version.
    Secondly, and believe me this is FARKIN expensive. I know from 'de-restricting' an MT-01, yamaha frequently use an 'intelligent' O2/emission system, that will either require a completely new ECU {from yamaha, and will remove an arm or leg} or at least a PC-V plus 02 optimiser unit and dyno tuning.
    even taking this into account, if you go read the reviews the LAM's version has a very good write up and is not a de-tuned 'wimpy version'.
    I doubt very much if de'restricting' will give you huge improvement Vs cost..
    again from personal experience with the MT-01, it was an expensive exercise, DID make a 'noticeable' improvement, but, cost Vs?
    Buy the 07 and just enjoy it as is.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    A friend has a restricted MT-07, derestricting them is easy. There is a stop in the throttle body so it can only open so far, basically you can only open the throttle 50%. You can cut the stop out with a dremel.
    The issue is when you want to sell it its very difficult to return it to lams.

All of the new sporty LAMS bikes are more then capable for a learner. Ninja 300, Cbr300/500r, MT-07, RC390, XJ6, R3.

If you want something with more power you are better off fast tracking getting you full license, with CTBA courses you can get your full in a year.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    A friend has a restricted MT-07, derestricting them is easy. There is a stop in the throttle body so it can only open so far, basically you can only open the throttle 50%. You can cut the stop out with a dremel.
    The issue is when you want to sell it its very difficult to return it to lams.
    That's NOT all there is to de-restricting them. They are both capacity and ECU restricted, so unless you intend on boring the cylinders and replacing the ECU, you're not going to derestrict by modifying the throttle stop.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    That's NOT all there is to de-restricting them. They are both capacity and ECU restricted, so unless you intend on boring the cylinders and replacing the ECU, you're not going to derestrict by modifying the throttle stop.
    Ok maybe 'deristricting' is a bad choice of word, but cutting out the throttle stop will make the bike faster. It will also make it non lams and likely void any warranty on engine components.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Buy some old cheap thrasher, spend money on training courses so you can advance your full license quicker (can you still do this) - then buy the full bore Yammy.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Ok maybe 'deristricting' is a bad choice of word, but cutting out the throttle stop will make the bike faster. It will also make it non lams and likely void any warranty on engine components.
    How many times have you done this on THIS model ... or ANY model ... ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    How many times have you done this on THIS model ... or ANY model ... ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????
    Never, just going by what my friend said he did to his, you?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Never, just going by what my friend said he did to his, you?
    I never made the claims YOU did.

Your post seems based on your opinion. NOT experience ... true or false .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    I clearly said my post is based on the experience of my friend.

Thread Information