Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Motorcycle Atlas - HEMA

Bike
    I Ride No More

NZ Motorcycle Atlas - HEMA

Hi, A friend of mine asked me whether I could source a copy of the HEMA 'New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas' for him. I did a quick online search of the usual repositories (including HEMA), and none came up as having stock. Anyone happen to know who in NZ might be holding stock, or who happen to have a copy that would be willing to sell ?

My own copy is 'Second Edition' and has ISBN number 978-1-877302-32-9.

Any help welcomed. Cheers.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    It has been out of print for a while now.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    It has been out of print for a while now.
    Thanks. I had assumed as much, and contacted HEMA Maps to see if they were holding
    and residual stock, or were planning a reprint in the future. Cheers.

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    Twisting Throttle NZ by the late Mike Hyde is a good alternative.......50 of the best rides in the country......half on seal half on gravel
    ***** POLITICIANS *****
    People Of Little Integrity Thieving Innocent Citizens Incomes And Need Shooting

*******KASPA*******
    Knavery Artificial Spurious Pretentious Arseholes

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemad View Post
    Twisting Throttle NZ by the late Mike Hyde is a good alternative.......50 of the best rides in the country......half on seal half on gravel
    A great fun reference book. Makes me WANT to go to those places and stop along the way-rather than just pass on through.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemad View Post
    Yes, good thinking. I have three of Mike Hyde's book, including his latest 'Twisting Throttle NZ'. My friend is mad on Vespas, so his touring is probably geared towards travelling on a Vespa (size doesn't seem to stop them, but I'm nots so sure about gravel ). I'll loan him my book, and if it meets his needs, then he can probably still get a copy himself. Cheers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Hi, A friend of mine asked me whether I could source a copy of the HEMA 'New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas' for him. I did a quick online search of the usual repositories (including HEMA), and none came up as having stock. Anyone happen to know who in NZ might be holding stock, or who happen to have a copy that would be willing to sell ?

My own copy is 'Second Edition' and has ISBN number 978-1-877302-32-9.

Any help welcomed. Cheers.
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/books/nonfi...-953717810.htm
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    so FJ is it worth getting? or am i better off riding where ever and finding my own way.
    Already got Mike's Twisted Throttle NZ ... love it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    so FJ is it worth getting?
    I have had one in the past but gave it away to a newbie friend. I swapped it for a New Zealand handy atlas.

The SAME maps but with no motorcycle photos or marked "motorcycyle friendly" roads. (and cheaper ...)

"Great Escapes" by Peter Mitchell .. would be my choice of books for finding such info' ... BUT ... isn't that is what KB can tell you .. ??? There are a few threads on the subject of good roads to ride.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    so FJ is it worth getting? or am i better off riding where ever and finding my own way.
    Mike's books are entertaining reads as well as good routes, however, nothing beats going down a road because you never have, and seeing where it goes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I'd say it is worth having and it doesn't stop you from also riding where ever you like.
    I bought a copy to get some good suggestions of placed to go on my ST but then used it for some good gravel roads for my DR.
    Back in March I went with the suggestions for coromandel peninsular gravel roads and got a heap of gravel riding practise in.
    When I do a trip in the South Island I'll use some more suggestions from the book and maybe a few suggestions from these forums too.
    I can't see how having more suggestions to consider is a bad thing.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'd say it is worth having and it doesn't stop you from also riding where ever you like and maybe a few suggestions from these forums too.
    I can't see how having more suggestions to consider is a bad thing.
    Aye, that's how I see it. I have plenty of books, read almost all of them once. Mikes book about a dozen times. LOL
    I reread each section as I ride them and I try to incorporate more variety, by not travelling the same route more than once. I need the practise of variety of roads/situations to improve my skills/confidence.

Yep, gravel/adventure riding is a skill I need to start at, I think this will help me relax-AFTER some practise.

Gremlin Mike's books are entertaining reads as well as good routes, however, nothing beats going down a road because you never have, and seeing where it goes!

That's the plan. I am a late starter, need to catch-up on what I have missed out, but I try to avoid pitfalls, that's why I look at Books and KB

FJRider "Great Escapes" by Peter Mitchell .. would be my choice of books for finding such info' ... BUT ... isn't that is what KB can tell you .. ??? There are a few threads on the subject of good roads to ride.

Checking out Waikato and Laxed out rides, they are in easy reach of my limited time, but I am finding with planning I can go further afield in the same time - Quite often now late at night after work. Pitstops and fuel are the main concern.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Yep, gravel/adventure riding is a skill I need to start at, I think this will help me relax-AFTER some practise.
    Until the start of this year I hadn't done any off-road or DS riding, so I bought a 2nd hand DR650, did a 1 day course with Northern Gravel Adventure Riders NZ, rode a few hundred kms on gravel, rode a bunch of off-road with another group.
    Now I'm far from experienced but I do have a hell of a lot more experience than I used to. I'm not totally confident yet but I'm now not scared to head off-road.

All motorcycling is the same - take it easy at first, get some experience, maybe get some training in, get more experience, more experience again, practise, practise, practise, etc.
    Over time you gain confidence & skill and you still keep on learning.

But enough of that, the weather is beautiful so I need to go for a ride!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    If you are looking for gravel roads there is a link to an online map of all gravel roads in New Zealand on the Adventure Riding website:

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/f...n-new-zealand/

When overlaid on Google Earth it is a very good resource.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    If you are looking for gravel roads there is a link to an online map of all gravel roads in New Zealand on the Adventure Riding website:

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/f...n-new-zealand/

When overlaid on Google Earth it is a very good resource.
    Thanks for that.

Gravel - End of Next Years project

but will use it for this years projects

the 1KC in Nov - a real test for me.

and the 2K+ end of year/new year group ride - actual route to be determined, so the above will come in quite handy

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information