Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen running for cover

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Volkswagen running for cover

A decade old family feud, boardroom coups, takeover battles and now the realisation of the manipulated diesel emissions tests in the U.S. ( and Europe too it's been suggested ) that could run into the tens of billions in costs.

Not a good week for Volkswagen, and it ain't gonna get any better. This is just the start .

Bike
    S1000RR
    I suspect American automobile companies conspiracy in the works. Ford and GMs are pumping out 4,000cc V8s (except for the new Mustang EcoBoost bullshit) out of the production line hourly and they are pointing fingers at VW for cheating emission tests for their 1.6/2.0 diesel engines.

Like what happened to Toyota just after GM/Ford crisis in 2008-2010. "American cars don't sell well? Then let's cover a media about a lady who put her foot down pedal to the metal on the freeway then blame Toyota for poor quality of floor carpets"

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I don't think it's that bigger deal, there is no vehicle life threatening fault here, just more crap being exhausted than usual.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I don't think it's that bigger deal, there is no vehicle life threatening fault here, just more crap being exhausted than usual.
    And only American rules/ regulations.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    And only American rules/ regulations.
    I'd still buy a VW if that's what I really wanted, their SUV's are quite a looker.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    What I wanna know is how come Axehole hasn't jumped in here and blamed the jews yet?

Oh, it might be his PD day.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I'd still buy a VW if that's what I really wanted, their SUV's are quite a looker.
    Exactly, they are still a class act. Also one of the few cars accurately described as a vag car, along with anything with Chery written on it. Time will tell regarding the resale though.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Time will tell regarding the resale though.
    Depends what they do to them from here. If they are left as they are, they will lose appeal with the small amount of the market who are people buying for environmental reasons. If they have to reprogram to meet the emission standards and lose engine power and economy, they will probably lose appeal with most of their market who were buying for those reasons.

Either way the lawyers will make a small fortune sorting it out.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    motocompo
    Id be prepared to bet that another couple of prominent European brands will be in the same shit shortly.
    They're all using similar technology & if one brand cant meet the standards, chances are that some of the others are fudging the results too.
    They announced this morning that other brands will be tested.
    As it is, the air coming out the tailpipe of most of that stuff is cleaner than what's going in the at the front.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Funny how this was discovered. VW apparently use two different testing regimes and some tiny outfit with a minute budget was interested to compare the results obtained by each. They got an unexpected result.

Ducati executives have been asked for comment but have been apparently told not to. Then again Ducati is but a small corner of the VW empire.

Nothing in this would put me off buying a VW, but in the USA lawyers will no doubt be looking to start a class action.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    What I wanna know is how come Axehole hasn't jumped in here and blamed the jews yet?

Oh, it might be his PD day.
    It's not their fault, they were just the last poor bastards the Germans lied to about gas emissions.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    mehh--VW cheated ,VW got caught.VW have stated that they cheted. It was a definite case of cheating not miscalculation of figures.
    Global fallout--well for VW its already happening.You can bet your boots theres a bunch of other manufacturers with billions of lost sales all around the world as a result who will be baying for blood.
    Long term--the entire vehicle testing regime has to be called into question.
    Methodology needs to be reviewed.
    This is the tip of a VERY ugly iceberg.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It's not their fault, they were just the last poor bastards the Germans lied to about gas emissions.
    Hitler and the chamber of secrets?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    mehh--VW cheated ,VW got caught.VW have stated that they cheted. It was a definite case of cheating not miscalculation of figures.
    Global fallout--well for VW its already happening.You can bet your boots theres a bunch of other manufacturers with billions of lost sales all around the world as a result who will be baying for blood.
    Long term--the entire vehicle testing regime has to be called into question.
    Methodology needs to be reviewed.
    This is the tip of a VERY ugly iceberg.
    What I can't understand is that for every VW model, there is an equivalent Audi, Skoda & Seat, it's just a degree of luxury thing. How did they not fail the emissions tests? or are they next? And they are not the brands I predict will be getting busted for the same thing shortly, although it's probably inevitable.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    What I can't understand is that for every VW model, there is an equivalent Audi, Skoda & Seat, it's just a degree of luxury thing. How did they not fail the emissions tests? or are they next? And they are not the brands I predict will be getting busted for the same thing shortly, although it's probably inevitable.
    I understood that pretty well all the Euro manufacturers examine the competition very closely - and regularly buy examples and test them.
    I'd bet more than one has found the trick for meeting emissions testing and thought, "shit that's a good idea, lets see how long we can get away with this"
    As you say Bob, more to come....

Thread Information