Thread: Indian Chief Dark Horse ride review

Bike
    None any more

Indian Chief Dark Horse ride review

Motorcyclists are tribal and, once having established a connection with a tribe they are generally reluctant to change their allegiances. These tribes include, but aren’t necessarily limited to: sports touring, cruisers, dual-purpose tourers, scooters, off-road, Italian, American, Japanese, German, British bikes and so on. There are quite a few tribes. Some are even on speaking terms.

While I like to think of myself as a bit of a motorcycle atheist, particularly in relation to the occasional religious zeal some of these tribes’ members exhibit, I’m largely a member of the Japanese sports touring fraternity, with some Italian waverings.

I am definitely not a Harley Krishna, a breed of American cruiser rider devotees who express their individuality by wearing the same clothes, revealing the same tattoos whilst astride large, low-slung, chrome adorned machines that rumble along going “potato, potato, potato”.

I had, however, noticed the recent arrival in town of a couple of new makes of American cruiser motorcycles – the Indian and the Victory. New to Wellington but not the rest of the world. While these two marques are siblings of Polaris Industries, they share little in common, apart from a parent. Indian has a long motorcycling heritage dating back to 1901. Victory is a more recent arrival, harking back to 1998. The styling of both marques is distinctly different. Indian motorcycles embrace an historic war bonnet logo, and design features like valenced mudguards. They certainly don’t look like any other brand of motorcycle cruiser. Victorys have sharper, more modern design cues.

Today I was presented with an opportunity to take the Indian Chief Dark Horse out for a spin.

Here is a naked cruiser that comes in any colour one likes, as long as that’s unpolished black. Chrome detailing and large muted silver war bonnet logos each side of the tank add some visual interest, with the 111 cubic inch (about 1,800cc) engine being beautifully finished, together with the chromed twin exhausts.

Instrumentation is restricted to one dial – an analogue speedometer. A small digital insert outlines fuel level, gear selection, odometer and trip meter details, a clock and an icon that shows whether or not the cruise control is turned on. There are other idiot lights for turning indicators, high beam, and ABS. All very simple to read and to understand. Switches are few. Starter, kill switch, indicators, horn, hazard lights and cruise control. That’s it. Everything falls instinctively to hand.

The seat is embracingly comfortable. The riding position is feet forward, on well-sized boards. The model I rode had a pillion squab and footpegs.

There is no ignition key. The rider has an electronic fob that they need to have tucked into a pocket on something they’re wearing. A large power button on the top of the tank needs to be pressed, and then everything works like a normal bike. Push the starter (no need to squeeze in the clutch) and the big V twin bursts easily into life. It’s smooth on the idle with no desire to walk off the mainstand or to shake one’s helmet off the seat.

Riding away, the clutch feel was good for such a large torque-rich engine. There was a bit of a clunk when shifting from first to second gear, but all other changes were clean and positive. The standard engine note is loud enough, although I suspect that many owners will prefer a more exhibitionist tone and opt for customised pipes. It’s hard in the absence of a rev counter, to really understand what the engine is doing. But this isn’t a Harley. It’s very smooth and willing, revving out as one would expect an Italian V twin to do, well, apart from the top end of the rev range.

Sixth gear is quite tall. In many conditions riding around New Zealand, fourth and fifth would be as far up the box as one needed to progress. Indeed the engine is quite happy indeed at highway speeds in fourth gear.

The real surprise was the bike’s agility. For something so large and heavy, it’s quite flickable. A favourite downhill, winding stretch of seal was easily navigated, with no sounds of scrapings from pipes or boards. Suspension is neither harsh nor plush but I didn’t have a chance to test it on a really rough surface.

Although this is ostensibly a naked bike, I was surprised by the level of wind protection provided by the front headlight unit. Today in Wellington was quite windy. While I was aware of the cross winds at times, the Dark Horse was well behaved.

Short ride, short review. I would welcome an opportunity to take this machine on a longer ride, including at night to test its headlight’s skills and panel illumination. I would also value feedback from an experienced pillion about levels of comfort on the back seat. Fuel range could also be explored.

So did I like it? Surprisingly, for a non-cruiser rider, I did. A lot. Would I buy one? Perhaps. I’d need to do some much longer rides, including in the rain and cold before making that call. Pricing is quite sharp compared with similar models with different manufacturer’s badges on. If you’re cruiser-curious, then definitely take the Indian Chief Dark Horse for a spin. I reckon you may well fall in love.

Many thanks to Clint at Wellington Motorcycles for providing today’s test ride.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-02 09.55.22.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	844.7 KB 
ID:	316279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-02 09.55.10.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	316278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-02 09.55.33.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	316280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-02 09.55.49.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	834.7 KB 
ID:	316281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-10-02 09.56.06.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	771.1 KB 
ID:	316282
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    What's up with the speedo?

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Be honest - it looks ghastly..

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    What's up with the speedo?
    Optomistic

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The Indian Scout is a pearler of a bike. Lots of areas to personalize as well.

If you look at the build quality of individual parts etc of the Victory and Indian IMO (don't shoot me) they are superior to that other American cruiser maker.

LOts of good stuff to come from both brands I believe - take a look if you are cruiser bound

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    The Indian Scout is a pearler of a bike. Lots of areas to personalize as well.

If you look at the build quality of individual parts etc of the Victory and Indian IMO (don't shoot me) they are superior to that other American cruiser maker.

LOts of good stuff to come from both brands I believe - take a look if you are cruiser bound
    I have owned both, have you? You may have a different opinion.....

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I have owned both, have you? You may have a different opinion.....
    Nah - only 50 - got 10 years in me yet before I buy a cruiser Visual and test thrash, I mean ride observation. I'm talking about quality of visual machining, finishing, paint etc of parts and overall fit and finish. HD is high but do need to freshen up a few things. Check out the engine detail on the Indian Scout, superb.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I have just had a day on the dark Horse and Road Master.

It is a lot easier to say the things I din't like rather than the things I did. Some of the things I did like were; the chassy is brilant for a heavy weight bike, the bike felt very comitted in corners. It has a really sweet powerfull motor with a much more even exhaust note than a HD. The brakes are excellent really first class. The bike is well made and should be a quality bit of kit. The electrically adjustable screen on the road master works very well from an aerodynamics point of view.

The things I don't like were actually very few: The control switched are small, really small and lack feed back. The suspension was overdamped espcially in compression once or twice small potholes lifted me out of the seat.

The final two are just observations, The Indian was not as stable on the road as my HD, by that I mean it tipped into corners easier at high speed but was also a lot more unstable (tippy) at slow speed. There was a lot more exhaust noise/sound comming back into the cockpit than I was expecting.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Thread Information