Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Customs duty on bike gear?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedition View Post
    Dunno if this helps you now, but I'd be pissed if you couldn't call and challenge that. You don't wear a "menswear" jacket with joint armor and abrasion resistance down to the pub unless you're Antonie Dixon.
    Clearly you're new at this. Good luck arguing with Customs.

Once they took the subtotal and multipled by quantity (except that was the subtotal already). Totally ignored the actual total (in the total field, funnily enough). Doubled the value of the shipment pushing it over import threshold, fortunately I already had an import code... (no idea what was going on at that point). Gave up after about 6 months of arguing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    dont buy a helmet from overseas, there are several different shapes of head around the globe, you may try one on here for size and get something different, it's your life it's protecting.
    A little research will help you avoid this issue. The Arai I wanted wasn't available in NZ and at the time (and still quite possibly now) Arai only had two different internal shell shapes.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    did you get charged duty or gst?

I've never been charged duty on any gear, only gst on the shit over $400
    me neither, but don't you hate Customs chagrining GST on the GST? What friggen service are they adding.

Rant bit: Bricks and Mortar shops can whinge all they like, I hate shopping, unless they offer great service.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    me neither, but don't you hate Customs chagrining GST on the GST? What friggen service are they adding.

Rant bit: Bricks and Mortar shops can whinge all they like, I hate shopping, unless they offer great service.
    They don't charge GST on the GST, they charge GST on their duties, ie, the service of charging you GST

Who gives a shit anyway, it all gets written off as a work expense
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    My last 3 helmets have been ex USA. As above do your research.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Paging nurse Edbear, paging nurse Edbear....
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Bikes!
    dont buy a helmet from overseas, there are several different shapes of head around the globe, you may try one on here for size and get something different, it's your life it's protecting.
    lol, there is no danger, otherwise the helmet companies would be culpable. It is merely a rort born of market protectionism. Too much migration going on in this world for helmet shape for a market bollocks to be true on any level other than minor differences.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    lol, there is no danger, otherwise the helmet companies would be culpable. It is merely a rort born of market protectionism. Too much migration going on in this world for helmet shape for a market bollocks to be true on any level other than minor differences.
    they just don't fit the same

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    they just don't fit the same
    How did you test this?
    Can I scream?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedition View Post
    I heard bits of a TV show a while back where I THINK they were saying the limit before duty is charged is going to be lowered to something stupid like $150.
    Retailers want GST charged on EVERYTHING coming in "to create a level playing field". So far though the Gubbermint still has that one in the too-hard basket.

Recently I imported a package that was over $400 and it took thirteen days to get cleared through Customs and get to me. The previous one was not much faster at ten days. The cheeky bastards backdate their letter to the day the item arrived. I know NZ Post aren't quite what they used to be but I'd need convincing that letters take nine and eleven days respectively to go 400Ks

The International Parcels Office and Customs don't seem to be able to handle the level of traffic they have now, they'll need a huge increase in staff numbers if GST is to be paid on everything. Either that or there'll be looooong delays.

When you order it might pay to place several smaller orders over a period of time if that keeps the individual packages under $400. Don't just calculate GST at 15% either, once a package attracts GST it also attracts a number of other small charges and levies and the total will be a bit it more than the 15%. There'll be a biosecurity levy even though the MAF people don't go anywhere near the package. Customs don't get to keep the GST that goes to the IRD. So Customs levy a seperate charge for charging you GST. Then they charge you GST on the charge they charged you for charging you GST.

Despite all that bullshit people still find it worthwhile to import stuff they want.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Absolute rubbish. Arai make helmets in three different head shapes. Different models come in different head shapes and you need to know what you are doing. If it goes wrong there is only one person culpable - the buyer.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The customs website has a calculator that will tell you what it should cost.

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Absolute rubbish. Arai make helmets in three different head shapes. Different models come in different head shapes and you need to know what you are doing. If it goes wrong there is only one person culpable - the buyer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=537&v=aOCgazruSc8

Actually a good watch.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    KTM
    Sorry to thread dredge,

a co-worker found the approval list for all duty-exempt imports.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalas.../approvals.pdf

do a search for

'motorcycle'

or 'gore-tex'

and you will find an entry that will allow you to reference previous decisions made by customs on the duty-free component of motorcycle safety gear.

You can then quote this to the seller to put on the package.

I am not saying this is 100% as we all know Customs pretty much make shit up as they go along, but at least you can say 'Look at your own document printed on your own website and get fucked'

Bike
    XR650R
    im not looking gorward to my customs assessment on the k8 gsxr1000 cylinder head im importing from usa.
    it cost me $1140nz for mint low km complete delivered,
    so it will probably be $200-250 extra !
    plus I've got to send a race header to the state's and the guy may want the ported head to go with it , bound to be a few bucks freight on that .

Thread Information