Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customs duty on bike gear?

Bike
    KTM Duke 200 (Soon!)

Customs duty on bike gear?

Hi all, looking to see if anyone knows the specifics on classifying bike gear for import fees so I don't get shafted buying riding gear outside NZ. WhatIsMyDuty doesn't have a very comprehensive list. On this page there are listings for 'Helmet (Crash)', and 'Motorcycle Tyres' (both 0% duty rate). Would the rest - boots, gloves, jacket etc., go under Menswear, or Motorcycle (which I assume is meant for actual bikes)?

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedition View Post
    Hi all, looking to see if anyone knows the specifics on classifying bike gear for import fees so I don't get shafted buying riding gear outside NZ. WhatIsMyDuty doesn't have a very comprehensive list. On this page there are listings for 'Helmet (Crash)', and 'Motorcycle Tyres' (both 0% duty rate). Would the rest - boots, gloves, jacket etc., go under Menswear, or Motorcycle (which I assume is meant for actual bikes)?
    Any purchases overseas valued at more than $400nz including freight etc You will be up for 15% GST . But this is likely to change shortly . You might get other charges as well.
    The stuff I have bought in under this value has gone straight thru.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    Any purchases overseas valued at more than $400nz including freight etc You will be up for 15% GST . But this is likely to change shortly . You might get other charges as well.
    The stuff I have bought in under this value has gone straight thru.
    Sedition is asking about DUTIES, not GST. I would also like to hear people's experiences with this.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    It's been a few years since I last imported a helmet from overseas but I did inquire about duty with customs and I was told (at the time) that motorcycle gear came under the umbrella of 'safety equipment' and therefore attracted no import duty. This however may have changed.

Bike
    KTM Duke 200 (Soon!)
    I just noticed the WhatIsMyDuty website has the 'Helmets (crash)' listed toward the bottom. I'll try give them a call tomorrow, will report back on what I find out. Based on the customs website it appears that the WIMD list is trimmed to the usual fluff people buy online. I doubt it'd be a hassle to send a message with online orders asking them to declare the goods on what they'll be classified as in NZ Customs, may save people some dollars.

Their lack of clarity also makes me wonder if there's a hidden 'Helmets (fashion)' categorization.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Sedition is asking about DUTIES, not GST. I would also like to hear people's experiences with this.
    Yep. Adding to that, I'd be keen to hear if anyone remembers (or can list, if they're waiting on deliveries) what their gear was classified as on the consignment note - it'll be listed there by the seller. If they're incorrectly sending a leather bike jacket declared as 'Menswear', then people are likely paying too much.

Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    It's been a few years since I last imported a helmet from overseas but I did inquire about duty with customs and I was told (at the time) that motorcycle gear came under the umbrella of 'safety equipment' and therefore attracted no import duty. This however may have changed.
    I heard bits of a TV show a while back where I THINK they were saying the limit before duty is charged is going to be lowered to something stupid like $150.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

From memory:
    Imported a one piece RST leather suit from the UK (NZ$700) + NZ$100 shipping. Categorised as menswear, pinged 15% duty but still heaps cheaper than buying locally as exchange rate was £0.50 / $1.00.

Bike
    KTM Duke 200 (Soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    From memory:
    Imported a one piece RST leather suit from the UK (NZ$700) + NZ$100 shipping. Categorised as menswear, pinged 15% duty but still heaps cheaper than buying locally as exchange rate was £0.50 / $1.00.
    Dunno if this helps you now, but I'd be pissed if you couldn't call and challenge that. You don't wear a "menswear" jacket with joint armor and abrasion resistance down to the pub unless you're Antonie Dixon.

Good info though, thanks for that. Once I call Customs I'm going to check with Revzilla and a few others, and see whether they're happy to add the correct classification it should be charged at. Shouldn't be too difficult to adjust in their shipping process unless all that stuff is done automatically for them.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    The legal-ese reply that I got was that motorbike gear would 'generally' fall under 'protective equipment' and attract zero duty. However this is case by case and if you want a hard-and-fast ruling on a particular bit of kit you have to pay to get a ruling (which defeats the fucking purpose).

In my own experience, back protector, gloves have been fine. Draggins/kevlar jeans could be another matter.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    From memory:
    did you get charged duty or gst?

I've never been charged duty on any gear, only gst on the shit over $400

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    did you get charged duty or gst?

I've never been charged duty on any gear, only gst on the shit over $400
    Ah my bad, yes GST not duty.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    suzuki
    dont buy a helmet from overseas, there are several different shapes of head around the globe, you may try one on here for size and get something different, it's your life it's protecting.

Bike
    suzuki
    Once I call Customs I'm going to check with Revzilla and a few others, and see whether they're happy to add the correct classification it should be charged at.
    what with everyone buying their shit from overseas soon the only people working in nz will be customs...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I have a e-mail somewhere (from this year) from customs stating safety gear is exempt from duty tax - even a list noting motorcycle gear.

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    My understanding is that there is no duty on motorcycle accessories. If you buy some motorcycle clothing either get if labeled motorcycle safety equipment or motorcycle accessories.
    When the exchange rate was favorable I got quite a bit of kit from overseas.

Thread Information