Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Breaking in' a new bike

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Where did you steal it?
    My rich Asian Boyfriend brought it for me.

Thanx Hun

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Well all Superleggera’s come with a dvd presentation and instructional video, so yes my manual does speak.

Not that I give a shit, I'm not even gunna start it.

Nooo.. say it aint so..

Once you've got the special light (wallet) edition, you've simply got to cane the crap out of it before the scheduled
    service, & they can replace the whole rooted shitter, that you've just reamed the fuck out of, under warranty..

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    but its not what my manual says.
    Penthouse don't come with manuals. Pull start.

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Penthouse don't come with manuals. Pull start.
    na its in the cellar.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Get it nice and warm, then beat the living fuck out of it. If there's any cunt here that's sold more new motorcycles than I have, I'd like to meet them. I've never once had a customer have issues when following these instructions. Just the opposite.
    engine components must be properly "worn-in" to ensure good performance, reliability, and longevity. If these parts are not worn-in correctly there will be a loss of power, poor fuel efficiency, increased oil consumption (burning oil), among other problems.

It seems possible that customers may not be aware of any of the above issues with a new bike, but they may have problems years down the track. Perhaps that's why you haven't heard of any new customers having issues?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    engine components must be properly "worn-in" to ensure good performance, reliability, and longevity. If these parts are not worn-in correctly there will be a loss of power, poor fuel efficiency, increased oil consumption (burning oil), among other problems.

It seems possible that customers may not be aware of any of the above issues with a new bike, but they may have problems years down the track. Perhaps that's why you haven't heard of any new customers having issues?
    Fucking bullshit. How bout this then. I've been in the industry for nearly 30 years now, so I kinda figure, lots of my customers have had plenty of time to come and grizzle to me. Then there's the fact that I've owned prob over 40 brand new bike myself, and every single one...has had its neck wrung from day one, and my bikes have always...been as fast as fuck. Only *issues* we've (us in the industry) have ever seen, is glazed bores from people that don't listen to our advice, *running* bikes in, and totally fucking a perfectly good engine. You do what you want by all means. But don't say you weren't told. Me...I'll have a fast one thanks.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Fucking bullshit. How bout this then. I've been in the industry for nearly 30 years now, so I kinda figure, lots of my customers have had plenty of time to come and grizzle to me. Then there's the fact that I've owned prob over 40 brand new bike myself, and every single one...has had its neck wrung from day one, and my bikes have always...been as fast as fuck. Only *issues* we've (us in the industry) have ever seen, is glazed bores from people that don't listen to our advice, *running* bikes in, and totally fucking a perfectly good engine. You do what you want by all means. But don't say you weren't told. Me...I'll have a fast one thanks.
    what he said!
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    2015 Suzuki Wee-Strom
    My thinking is that whilst we are a tiny minority of motor buyers. The engines are fundamentally the same as sold in every car around the world. So given that nowadays none of them go around with signs on saying 'running in' then I decided life was too short, and whilst I didn't go out of my way to redline it in the first 1000km, I still rode it naturally.

I got the same Suzuki manual advice. Thinking about it, then I suspect this is less about long term engine conditioning and more about minimising risk of further damage to bike or to rider if there is a manufacturing fault that becomes evident in the early stages.

Bike
    2013 Suzuki GW 250
    Blog Entries
    I was having some instruction recently on up/down hill stuff - revs, gear changes, lines, stopping/starting on hills etc.
    We were going downhill through an S bend when my instructor warned me there was a 'people mover' behind him that looked like it was going to overtake. And sure enough it did.
    Over double yellow lines, at speed.
    The windows were tinted but not so much that I couldn't see that there were at least three kids in this vehicle plus the fuckwit behind the wheel.

One of the thoughts that flashed through my mind was..."yep and it's people like you who I end up helping to put back together while you're grieving for your kids that YOU killed".

Had to do some pretty bloody quick decision making about MY position on the road too...got through the bend ok but must admit it did shake me a bit. Have been out on the same road again on my own but it makes me a shitload more wary now.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've learned to treat people-movers and minivans with extreme caution. My low point in seeing moron kiwi driving was watching a people-mover (empty apart from driver) on a four-lane road approaching a roundabout. He was in the left lane. Indicates right, at same moment, he pops a U-turn, across four lanes, right in front of the roundabout. Going around the roundabout would have taken all of an extra five seconds.

Early evening, very light traffic. If I'd been a shade faster I would have been in the right hand lane beside him, overtaking before entering the roundabout.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ratched View Post
    ... The windows were tinted ...
    Excuse me while I have a wee rant...

Tinted windows! If I had my way they would be banned! Once you could look through a vehicle to see beyond it, now with all these tinted windows it's like looking at a brick wall...

Wee rant over... and sorry for hijacking the thread...

As a nurse you might enjoy this story...

Years ago a friend of my sister's was driving to work - at that time my sister and her friend were flatting in London - in her Triumph Spitfire [she had taste that young lady!] when some yob put his hand on the driver's door top and said things she wasn't happy with. Her father was a senior police officer in one of the counties and had given her a truncheon to carry in the car "just in case". This was one of those "just in case" situations... she couldn't drive off due to traffic and the yob refused to go away so she whacked his knuckles with the truncheon, just hard enough to make him let go of the door.

A little later in the A&E of the local hospital a bloke turned up with knuckles that had "hit something" causing the skin to split. As the senior sister stitched the bloke's knuckles she asked how it had happened. "Some b*tch hit me with a truncheon!" She asked why? He replied that she was just some hard bitten old tart who didn't fancy his advances...

As she dug the needle in a little harder than usual she looked at him and said, "I am that hard bitten old tart"...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ratched View Post
    I was having some instruction recently on up/down hill stuff - revs, gear changes, lines, stopping/starting on hills etc.
    We were going downhill through an S bend when my instructor warned me there was a 'people mover' behind him that looked like it was going to overtake. And sure enough it did.
    Over double yellow lines, at speed.
    The windows were tinted but not so much that I couldn't see that there were at least three kids in this vehicle plus the fuckwit behind the wheel.

One of the thoughts that flashed through my mind was..."yep and it's people like you who I end up helping to put back together while you're grieving for your kids that YOU killed".

Had to do some pretty bloody quick decision making about MY position on the road too...got through the bend ok but must admit it did shake me a bit. Have been out on the same road again on my own but it makes me a shitload more wary now.
    Blimmin' Honda Odyssey I'll bet. I had a light metallic blue one (with tinted windows) right behind me, I just pulled over, he was obviously in a hurry to get to his funeral.

Thread Information