Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35mm film photography?

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Diana's seem to still find a niche:

http://microsites.lomography.com/diana/about/
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I still shoot film
    regarding old film gear sitting on shelves collecting dust
    I recently bought a cheap sony Nex 6 body on TM you can put other lens's on them from different manufactures this allows me to utilize all of my old 35mm film lens's with the help of an adaptor rings (which cost about $20) which has given a new lease of life to that gear and the lens's are better quality then a lot of glass on new Digi cams (especially for the price)

hope some of this is of help
    Some of the film SLR camera equipment on TM is quite reasonably priced, I had wondered about the using of the lens's from film cameras on digital camera's. For the cost of setting up for film photography, I am better to stick with digital. It just seems a shame to see old school photography going out the door.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CB1300
    Some digital gear will take old lenses. Google up a storm.
    During the 90s I worked in camera sales along other things.
    Nikon dslr lenses for slrs. Canon some models needed adapter kit. Ricoh had adapters for just about every lens there is.
    Some canons would not turn on without responses from the servo self tests though.
    I have recently seen quite a few modern dslr users with older manual prime lenses because they are massively cheaper for often higher quality sturdier lenses and bodies. Even if you have to also buy an adapter ring.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Some of the film SLR camera equipment on TM is quite reasonably priced, I had wondered about the using of the lens's from film cameras on digital camera's. For the cost of setting up for film photography, I am better to stick with digital. It just seems a shame to see old school photography going out the door.
    If you use Nikon then I am pretty sure all their SLRs are backwards compatible with regards to lenses. Not sure about other camera makes but certainly there is nothing special about digital SLRs with regards to lens technology. The only thing to look for is that lenses designed for some digital SLRs (so called crop sensors or DX in Nikon-land) are smaller and won't fully expose a 35mm film or full frame. However older lenses developed for 35mm film should work on digital cameras but you might be carrying more glass than you need.

Certainly some very good bargains to be had with older SLR lenses as, motion reduction/autofocusing aside, the older lenses are just as good quality as newer ones.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    i was always nikkor sigma lenses (bayonet) which were fairly interchangable. (Nikon f series) were compatible with the early d1s i think. Dont know bout now.
    I'd still rank sigmas as the best glass you can get. Steel bodies and clipped in lenses, none of this foggy glued in shit.
    The fuken pentax m42s were a bitch, though i believe you get get the adapter. Still have to unscrew your shit though unless you had one for each lens.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruahine View Post
    If you use Nikon then I am pretty sure all their SLRs are backwards compatible with regards to lenses. Not sure about other camera makes but certainly there is nothing special about digital SLRs with regards to lens technology. The only thing to look for is that lenses designed for some digital SLRs (so called crop sensors or DX in Nikon-land) are smaller and won't fully expose a 35mm film or full frame. However older lenses developed for 35mm film should work on digital cameras but you might be carrying more glass than you need.

Certainly some very good bargains to be had with older SLR lenses as, motion reduction/autofocusing aside, the older lenses are just as good quality as newer ones.
    i though stabilisation happened cmos side?

Auto focus is for pussies.
    But some/many of the later higher end electric bodies had servo control so those lenses should line up with newer Ds.
    Had one, nikon f something that would peel a roll of film in a couple of seconds shooting full auto...

Bike
    CB1300

Older lenses are often higher quality if they are in the same condition. Less micro parts.
    Because the lenses are not limited by what the servo can prime ther is more freedom for the lens maker to use precision ground lenses with less of them instead add opposed to thinner stamped lenses that are only ground to polish them.

This is more significant in prime lenses abs very long zoom lens.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    You can develop E6 slide film at home without a dark room. Velvia is cool shit , I used a bulk loader & loaded my own canisters to reduce costs. Photowarehouse used to sell the E6 develpoing chemicals as a kit but it is no longer listed on their site. I have a bit of gear including a colour enlarger, developing tank, etc , no trays they went to a higher calling, motorcycle parts .
    You can have if you want to try it. I'd rather see it go to a good home than continue to lurk in a cupboard in the garage.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Does anyone here still use a film camera?. I have been thinking of picking up a 35mm film SLR as a sideline interest to my digital photography. Some quite cheap on turd me, but how hard would the films be to get?.

Also is there any digital age technology available that allows developing film at home, apart from making a darkroom?.
    To add to others...

Yep, still shooting film, love it.

Getting film: online is best for anything specific - look at B&H Photo, Adorama, Photo Warehouse (here in NZ), even TradeMe (if you don't mind expired stock with possibly dodgy colours). B&W film tends to age pretty well and is still usually good even after a decade at room temperature.

Developing it: B&W is best done at home, costs an absolute fortune if you farm it out. You need at least one film tank, reels, somewhere to hang film too - the shower is usually the best because it's generally dust free. If you shoot a lot then you'll need as many reels as you can get, these really can only be loaded when they're bone dry.

Chemistry can be bought through the web, too - look for powder developers. The best B&W film or paper dev I've ever used was through Moersch Photochemie, in Germany - takes ages to arrive but so much better for the home worker than anything from Ilford or Kodak. Colour film can be done (with reservations), look for the C-41 or E-6 Press Kits that Tetenal make - but you need extremely tight temperature control on your film tank and solutions.

Printing it: if you're skipping the darkroom, get a film scanner, a computer that can handle big files (45 - 80 MB TIFFs aren't uncommon), and a photo-quality printer, A3 if you can afford it. If you can, stay away from flatbed film scanners, or the cheaper 35mm only options like the Plusteks. The Epson V700 / 750 / 800's are alright and they can do medium format and large format (exaggerated res and range aside), otherwise try to find a dedicated film scanner. I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED and it's great. Hanging out for a good MF scanner.

Lenses: I've used adaptors on Canon EOS bodies - these cameras will shoot through anything, if you can put it in front of the camera then you can shoot through it.

Digital wins hands down for convenience and sharing on the internet, but I've shot everything I've ever wanted to hang on the wall in film.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Older lenses are often higher quality if they are in the same condition. Less micro parts.
    Because the lenses are not limited by what the servo can prime ther is more freedom for the lens maker to use precision ground lenses with less of them instead add opposed to thinner stamped lenses that are only ground to polish them.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Interesting. I have often heard that many of Nikon's older prime lenses outperformed their modern equivalents.

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i though stabilisation happened cmos side?
    Nikon's vibration reduction (VR) and Canon's image stabilization (IS)-equipped lenses contain sensors which adjust movable lens elements to compensate for lens shake.

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog...software/vr_e/

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post

Sent via tapatalk.
    i miss my 600mm (literally, 600mm)

my neighbours wife has great tits though.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i miss my 600mm (literally, 600mm)

my neighbours wife has great tits though.
    They're teats you sick bastard.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Nikon's vibration reduction (VR) and Canon's image stabilization (IS)-equipped lenses contain sensors which adjust movable lens elements to compensate for lens shake.

http://www.nikon.com/about/technolog...software/vr_e/
    riduculous .

Thread Information